Good afternoon, all.

Long time reader, but this has been my first opportunity to post.

After 25+ years of generally issue free wrenching on cars (just the usual busted knuckles and unexpected trips to the auto parts store for random bolts at critical times and Lowe's for the purchase of that one-time-use tool), I had a bizarre incident occur yesterday.

I was working through oil changes on the three family cars, and the first two passed without incident. When I got to my car, a 2015 F10 535i (FWD), I was jacking the car up from the front center jacking point with my floor jack to place it on jack stands, and apparently did not have the lifting plate centered on the jacking point. The rear wheels were chocked, and I had the parking brake on the car engaged, so it did not move, but while I was lifting, the jack slipped out from under the jacking point, rolling forward, and the weight of the car ended up falling on the EPS module, which landed on the jack's lifting plate. I immediately released the jack lift, repositioned it, lifted the car, and supported it on jack stands.

What I found underneath were three broken Torx head bolts that had held the EPS to the steering rack and an EPS module that was still on the car but moving freely. I did not have much choice, so I disconnected the power connector and the other two electrical connectors and removed the module. It looked fine, with the spiral-fluted spindle not broken or bent but with the three bolt ends that had broken still in their holes.

Fortunately, all three bolts came right out easily with an easy-out, and I had some spare M8 1.25 X 30 mm bolts laying around, so I set the spindle back in the steering rack, taking care to line up the spindle in the belt, and bolted it in and reconnected the electrical connectors. I completed the oil change and lowered the car.

When I started and began to back out of the garage, I immediately got a steering warning indicating I would not have power steering and to take the car to a service center. I also got a terribly loud noise that was a hybrid between a grinding and a groaning whenever I turned the wheel. Interestingly, I did still have power steering and the steering wheel turned the front wheels easily, without any perceived hesitating, thumping, or slipping feeling, but I did have that noise.

I drove the car down the street and back with no ill feel in the wheel nor additional steering effort, but the noise remains. I parked the car and hit the internet. Again, from what I can tell, there is not specific damage to the EPS module, spindle, or anything else I looked at. I did not look into the rack with exception of where the spindle goes into the belt in the housing attached to the steering rack. I am thinking that maybe the only issue could be the belt that connects the EPS module and the rack was damaged or stretched and is slipping.

Here is where I am at. After all my reading last night, it looks like the EPS module is not sold separately and my only option for a repair would be to find a take-off or rebuilt rack and either exchange the EPS module with mine or install the new take-off rack in its entirety on my car. Either option will require me to have the new EPS module coded to my car (I will find a shop or someone in my area (Central Florida) who can code it). I cannot really tell if there is any other damage to the rack or the EPS module, so I was thinking maybe just the belt was stretched. I can order a belt for about $90 and then try to pull the passenger side of the rack and install the new belt (or reinstall the old one if it slipped) to ensure good tension.

My question is this – has anyone on the forum experienced this type of issue and what was your solution? I don't want to pay the ~$500 plus core charge to get a full, used rack shipped to me and then go through the repair or installation of a new rack if I can avoid it. Should I just bite the bullet on a $2K+ shop visit? I am not afraid to wrench this but want to get it right. The car only has 65K miles on it and I want to get many more years out of it. Is it worth trying for the disassembly and belt replacement? Are there other options?

Appreciate any insight anyone can provide. Be careful when you are lifting your car, and never get under one that is not properly supported with stands or on a lifting rack!

I am posting this in multiple F10 forums, so apologies if you read this in several places.

Thanks!

CFL Gator