Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Window Regulator URO.... [emoji1751]

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead97 View Post
    im living on the edge, i have a uro radiator cap
    lol !

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Our engineers finished their investigation of Yonkers320is's feedback for the E39 regulator, and found some interference between the slider and the end of the track at one end, due to the little corner of the track being bent down about 0.010". That's all it takes to catch on the slider though. We're correcting the angle of the corner on all current inventory to eliminate the interference, have made the correction on the production line, and our QC department has the issue flagged so they'll be keeping an eye on it.

Thanks for your report, Yonkers320is!

My Cars
    02 530i 05 156SW 05 166
    Well it's nice they followed up.

Cn90. What is the Siemens vdo part number for front right regulator?

- - - Updated - - -

Oopsz I mean cnn

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    I replaced the rear driver side regulator with the Autozone Dorman brand. Failed in 10 months, but it has a limited lifetime warrantee so I'm getting a free one.

The rear passenger side is a URO, still working fine. Replaced same time as the Autozone. Can't remember why I got two different brands.

I also do not have a high opinion of URO items, but you got to give them credit where it counts.

Didn't use OE BMW due to $$$$$$$$$$$$. And in reality, just because OE is $$$$$$$$$$ doesn't mean it's waaaaayyyyy better.
    Last edited by kouks; 05-09-2021 at 11:33 PM.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by URO Parts View Post
    Our engineers finished their investigation of Yonkers320is's feedback for the E39 regulator, and found some interference between the slider and the end of the track at one end, due to the little corner of the track being bent down about 0.010". That's all it takes to catch on the slider though. We're correcting the angle of the corner on all current inventory to eliminate the interference, have made the correction on the production line, and our QC department has the issue flagged so they'll be keeping an eye on it.

Thanks for your report, Yonkers320is!
    Shouldn't this be the thing that your team with all their fancy equipment checks before they sell the product to consumers?

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    ^ They certainly do when developing a product, but it's not realistic to scan all production pieces. Sometimes a tiny intermittent error (not even visible to the eye) can happen during production, and you won't know about it until someone gets a part with the defect, and sends us an email or PM.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    It's because Amazon has a problem with counterfeit items in part due to commingling inventory, paid reviews, and bait-and-switch listings. I bought a set of Astro Pneumatic trim tools recently, and if you go to the Astro site they'll link to an Amazon listing… for something else. Another vendor hijacked the listing. That cheap Chinese trinket with five star reviews? Check the dates on those reviews. The five star ones are probably old and for a different product. Plus if you're shopping for oil, Shell explicitly excludes Amazon from their rebates.

That AK-90 on Amazon (yeah, okay there are a bunch), that's a cheap Chinese knockoff of a cheap Chinese knockoff. lol
    This. Same with fleaBay. I don't buy any suspension or engine related parts from either of those sites for this exact reason. Not that other parts distributors are immune to counterfeit parts, but it seems to be a much bigger issue on sites that aren't direct distributors of auto parts.

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Indeed, definitely avoid "name brand" batteries, memory cards, and other low-buck commodity items from 3rd party sellers on Amazon. If you're okay with buying counterfeits, those items are a whole lot cheaper on eBay.
    Last edited by URO Parts; 05-12-2021 at 01:46 PM.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Quote Originally Posted by URO Parts View Post
    periodically lube the glass/rubber contact areas with a wipe of Honda Shin Etsu grease (which is also great for squeaky door seals)..
    URO,
    Great support. I have seen my windows violently jerk open when the glass sticks to the rubber seal.
    I can totally see how this can break a reg (the bowden pill cracks the plastic housing)

The Honda stuff is just silicone grease, which is also just called dielectric grease.
    Can I just use dielectric on the weather stripping? Won't it smear all over the inside of the glass ?
    Last edited by OnTheFence; 05-13-2021 at 09:55 AM.

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    Shin Etsu could very well be dielectric grease, but we haven't tried anything else after seeing the test results from someone on a popular car forum. The forum member tried a wide variety of seal treatments & lubes, and Shin Etsu worked the best and lasted the longest before needing to be refreshed.

It only takes a super thin film of Shin Etsu to make a difference. We used a cotton rag and worked a bit of grease into an small area of fibers, then rubbed that area of the rag on the seals, then wiped off any excess residue with the clean part of the rag. It hardly looks like you did anything to the seal, but you can feel the film. If grease is applied directly to the seal, it'll be too much in one spot and harder to spread out evenly.

Doing this works a bit of lube into the tiny pores in the rubber, but there's not enough grease sitting on the surface of the rubber to make a mess on the glass. Shin Etsu also works well if you have door seals that squeak when you hit bumps in the road.

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Interesting on lubing the window seals. Any thoughts on silicone spray or a dry Teflon spray?
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    2006 M3 Coupe
    ^ Pretty sure the forum member tested silicone spray and dry lubes (such as Teflon), and didn't have much success with them.

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Theres more than one flavor of silicone grease and not all of them are created equal. Shin Etsu grease is excellent for conditioning and protecting rubber seals, in the NSX world its the defacto method of keeping the targa and door seals in good condition and avoiding the $1000+ parts price tag of replacing them.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I’ve never had the sticky glass to seal issues, even though I have had the many multiple window regulator issues, never have had to lube my window gaskets, how about the dry mountain bike chain lube? I used a ton of it on my chains, it went on wet, stayed wet for about 3 seconds, dried up, wiped the chain clean with a rag, and the chain stayed lubed, and clean.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    There’s felt in the inside gasket to help the glass slide .
    Over time , the felt rubs away .

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorMouth93 View Post
    Theres more than one flavor of silicone grease and not all of them are created equal. Shin Etsu grease is excellent for conditioning and protecting rubber seals, in the NSX world its the defacto method of keeping the targa and door seals in good condition and avoiding the $1000+ parts price tag of replacing them.
    I use Gummi Pfledge to grease the window tracks - it is designed to clean and condition rubber seals as well and has always worked well for me to keep windows moving freely. Interesting to hear that Shin Etsu is designed for the same purpose...

For the record, I will only use Uro HD/Premium window regulators in E39's. I also am constantly impressed by the fact that Uro posts on the forums to gain customer feedback directly to actively improve their designs. I don't know of ANY other parts company that does that... you don't see Febi or Lemforder representatives posting on here...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I use Gummi Pfledge to grease the window tracks - it is designed to clean and condition rubber seals as well and has always worked well for me to keep windows moving freely. Interesting to hear that Shin Etsu is designed for the same purpose...

For the record, I will only use Uro HD/Premium window regulators in E39's. I also am constantly impressed by the fact that Uro posts on the forums to gain customer feedback directly to actively improve their designs. I don't know of ANY other parts company that does that... you don't see Febi or Lemforder representatives posting on here...
    +1 , totally agree .

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    you don't see Febi or Lemforder representatives posting on here...
    Why would they? An original equipment manufacturer is already going to be working with BMW to create parts that work. It's cheaper for a company making low quality knockoffs to check in on forums to see where the problems are then to do hire people to do actual quality control.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Why would they? An original equipment manufacturer is already going to be working with BMW to create parts that work. It's cheaper for a company making low quality knockoffs to check in on forums to see where the problems are then to do hire people to do actual quality control.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Uro's ( a sponsor of this site) postings amount to attempts at damage control or putting out yet another flaming.
    Quality manufacturers have no need for this sort of thing as QC is done at the factory before the product is shipped.
    Last edited by ross1; 05-17-2021 at 01:07 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    z3
    That's kind of an odd statement, given how many OEM suppliers ship defective parts, end up out sourcing to China where quality plummets, or just keep reproducing faulty original designs. OEM =/= OE and I don't know that BMW is doing a lot of R&D to improve parts on 20 year old cars - some of which were faulty designs initially, like the window regulators. If they weren't faulty designs they wouldn't fail so much to begin with and necessitate designing upgraded versions of said parts

What BMW does when they realize their E39 window regulators were faulty for example is not actively seek out how to improve that design - the cost of new tooling and R&D to them is not worth it for the slight improvements they might see in reliability on cars that are now well out of warranty. They have bigger fish to fry. They study how it failed and work to improve that part on the next generation of vehicles but that's where their interest in our old failed parts ends

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I couldn't agree more.
    Uro's ( a sponsor of this site) postings amount to attempts at damage control or putting out yet another flaming.
    Quality manufacturers have no need for this sort of thing as QC is done at the factory before the product is shipped.
    Isn't there an active thread right now about someone who bought an OEM expansion tank and it just didn't ever work properly?

You guys can buy whatever you want. My E39 has Uro window regulators in it and they have been trouble free since installing them years ago. If BMW was perfect at designing these parts, you wouldn't need to replace them to begin with.

Historically many forum sponsors simply want the moderation team to delete negative posts about them. That is not how you properly run a business though and this has caused issues on many forums in which the moderation team participates in this behavior. It erodes the trust of the forum itself, as you no longer know if the information is biased or not. Uro isn't doing that, they take responsibility for what failed and asked, out in the open, about how it failed, and shared how they are improving the design. I'm honestly not sure what else they could do here. Do you want them to install and test every single part before it goes out the door? They make various other improved parts for our cars, such as the improved valley pan gasket design for M62 and quite a few improved parts for N62's...
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 05-17-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Whoa…… Dude, I got my original 530 sport brand new, back new in 2001, the drivers regulator finally crap’d out after 145,000 miles. The front passenger regulator started making noise 2years later, at 179,000 miles, but still worked. Then it was a string of crappy problems with crappy regulators because I didn’t feel like spending the coin BMW was asking for the replacement regs. And I am still dealing with that clusterfvck of ill thinking when it comes to buying the factory part. On my green wagon, it is getting a complete paint job right now, that car has three bad regulators on it, but the drivers regulator is from BMW, the others were aftermarket crap, so it figures that they are all broke. But I found a super clean 540 sport at a local pick and pull yard, ten miles from my house, tested every window, and they all worked, so I snagged them all, and they have BMW stampings on all of them. Got a whole ton of good clean parts, including clean sport seats and a super clean sport steering wheel too.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Whoa…… Dude, I got my original 530 sport brand new, back new in 2001, .
    You're still here? I thought you were dead. Did you used to have another user name before Snotty ? Are you Bimmerfiver?

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    You're still here? I thought you were dead. Did you used to have another user name before Snotty ? Are you Bimmerfiver?
    No clue what you’re talking about, on that one. But I do remember you being pissed at me for some posts of mine that obviously pissed you off some in the past. It’s cool though, not keeping a grudge, hope you feel the same way.
    Last edited by BimmrMeUpSnotty; 05-18-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12