Thread: Mysterious Alarm/Locking System Problems

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Mysterious Alarm/Locking System Problems

Hey all,

On my '98 M3, I went to install a new keyless entry system and a few problems arose.

I had an old OEM remote entry module but decided to put in a new original one since I had ordered it anyway. I attempted the pairing process about 3 times, finally getting it to work. However, after playing with it for about an hour, I noticed that there was no "chirp" sound, even after enabling it on the remote. Then, I realized that my alarm system has never worked when I put it into panic mode. So, there seems to be something up with my alarm siren. As soon as I realized this, my keyless entry no longer works. Additionally, the red lamp on the center console no longer lights/blinks when locked. I replaced the small fuse near the kick panel on the drivers side. Huzzah! It worked again, but still not alarm siren. Then 20 minutes later it failed again.

Before I just replace the fuse again, anyone have guidance as to why my keyless entry fails so quickly? And why my alarm siren may not be going off?
    --
    Learning the art of zen one coolant system bleed at a time
    Proud m3 owner and DIY mechanic
    Los Angeles
    --

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelmitchell View Post
    Hey all,

On my '98 M3, I went to install a new keyless entry system and a few problems arose.

I had an old OEM remote entry module but decided to put in a new original one since I had ordered it anyway. I attempted the pairing process about 3 times, finally getting it to work. However, after playing with it for about an hour, I noticed that there was no "chirp" sound, even after enabling it on the remote. Then, I realized that my alarm system has never worked when I put it into panic mode. So, there seems to be something up with my alarm siren. As soon as I realized this, my keyless entry no longer works. Additionally, the red lamp on the center console no longer lights/blinks when locked. I replaced the small fuse near the kick panel on the drivers side. Huzzah! It worked again, but still not alarm siren. Then 20 minutes later it failed again.

Before I just replace the fuse again, anyone have guidance as to why my keyless entry fails so quickly? And why my alarm siren may not be going off?

It is well known around here that aftermarket security systems do not play well with the factory system. Your car is trying to one thing, your aftermarket system is trying to do something else.

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3 Convertible
    its all original parts - original fob, original keyless entry.
    --
    Learning the art of zen one coolant system bleed at a time
    Proud m3 owner and DIY mechanic
    Los Angeles
    --

My Cars
    1998 M3 convertible
    The chirp for lock and unlock is programable , it can be turned on or off or your car is missing the siren in the engine bay. If you do have the siren it could be shorting out , causing the fuse to blow