Thread: Rekeying Locks for 1997 Z3

My Cars
    1997 Z3 1.9 Roadster

Rekeying Locks for 1997 Z3

Hi

I've looked by can't find any threads on the site related to locks.

I have a 1997 Z3.

I had my ignition lock go bad and had it replaced by a locksmith using a different key than the original. Which was fine.

However, the door locks have gone bad, and the truck lock is the only way to open the car. Now, it may be that the original key is worn (it looks worn) and I can't find the spare. So needless to say, I have lock issues.

1. Is there any kind of rekeying kit for the BMW locks?

2. I have a spare truck lock key, that I can practice on.

3. I have to get the doors fixed by a locksmith, since there are probably issues with them I can't deal with, and since I'm going to do that, I may as well get those rekeyed to the new lock.

4. The other locked parts, the glove compartment, the gas cap, and storage locks, would all be nice if they were rekeyed as well.

Obviously, I don't want to spend money rekeying those.

Options? Ideas? If there's a kit and website for do it yourself rekeying of these locks, that would be great.

I think I paid around 700 for the locksmith to change the ignition lock, compared to the dealer wanting $1800. If not for the door locks not working, I would not care, but as I need to get those fixed, I may as well tackle this problem.

I know how to get into a Z3 if everything is locked.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If the key is worn the locks won’t work order a new key from the dealer and see what happens before you do anything else, then you’ll just have one key for the doors and one for the ignition, the most cost effective choice

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    If you end up replacing the door and trunk locks, you may want to check with the dealer to see if they can order the locks keyed the same as your ignition. I was able to order my replacement door locks keyed the same as the old locks.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 1.9 Roadster
    Hi

Thanks for the responses but I guess I wasn't clear.

The New ignition key is in good shape, so there's no issues with that. It's the old key that came with the car that's the problem.

The old key still works for the glove compartment, etc. I can't find the spare key, but am pretty sure I have it. I guess I have to find it to see if that works any better.

The MAIN thing is I am trying to avoid the dealer, and avoid the locksmith as well if possible. To duplication any key is around 175 dollars with the locksmith, more with the dealer.

The locksmith has all the same codes as the dealer, and is able to rekey the door keys to the ignition key if they can be fixed, or replace them if needed.

I'm trying to find tumbler kits and instructions to learn how to rekey stuff myself.

I found a link else where on rekeying the inside storage compartment lock. The problem is finding the tumbler links

Something like this?

https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...it-51169061388

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    What's actually wrong with the door locks?

My Cars
    1997 Z3 1.9 Roadster
    With Old key

Passenger door, the key doesn't turn at all.

Driver door, the key turns in one direction, not the other.

Truck lock turns, but sometimes gets stuck and I have to jiggle it to get it to work

Gas cap was always fine, until last week, didn't want to turn right away.

Glove compartment and storage, I haven't tried in a long time.

When I got the ignition repaired I didn't get a spare. Since I need to get a spare anyways, when the locksmith fixes the doors, I may as well get those rekeyed to the new ignition key.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    So are you saying that for $700 the locksmith did not replace the ignition with one keyed to match your locks? Meaning that you now have two keys--one that only works the ignition and one that works the other locks but not the ignition? I can imagine that you don't want to go back. Have you tried a lubricant?

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Have you tried lock lubrication on the locks which are hard to turn? I would get one of the spray lubricants as it would have a chance to wash out the locks as well as lubricate them.

The most likely way for the door locks to fail is to just spin when you try to unlock/lock them. This makes me think the locks may just be dirty.
    Last edited by khammack; 04-04-2021 at 09:24 PM.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I paid $68 for a replacement key from the dealer. If they’re asking more than that I’d be surprised and would check with a different one. This definitely sounds like a worn key rather than worn locks.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 1.9 Roadster
    Well, Yep

I found the original spare key.

All locks work perfectly. Even the passenger side which the key I've been using barely goes into, the spare works perfectly.

As far as the replacement cost, I have to say, the price difference could be because of where we both live. Los Angeles probably charges more. I've already called around for a few places and indy locksmiths are cheaper than the dealer. But they all are around 175 to 300.

Here's the thing. Having two keys bugs me. A lot Add to that I ruined about 8 pairs of pants from the two keys digging into the pockets of my jeans and khakis and making holes in my pants, and the cost of having two keys is adding up.

I need to get a second key for the ignition. And now I need to get a second key for the door locks.

I'd rather use the money for the second door lock key and spend it having the locksmith rekey the door locks.

Then if I can get rekey kits, I have a spare truck key and and practice rekeying that, and then swap out the truck lock (I changed the entire truck hood last year and so I know how to do that)

And then all that's left is glove compartment, storage and gas cap.

Then I don't have to have two stinkin' keys in my pocket.

So the question is does anyone know where I can get the tumbler kits and any videos on how to rekey these locks?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    If the key is worn the locks won’t work order a new key from the dealer and see what happens before you do anything else, then you’ll just have one key for the doors and one for the ignition, the most cost effective choice
    Please see above. Add the cost of getting a spare key for the door locks, and the cost I've been paying in ruined pants from having so many keys in my pants pockets, and it's getting to be too costly having more than one key. Lol.

My Cars
    1997 z3 roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by alipies View Post
    Here's the thing. Having two keys bugs me. A lot Add to that I ruined about 8 pairs of pants from the two keys digging into the pockets of my jeans and khakis and making holes in my pants, and the cost of having two keys is adding up.
    Wow, I would buy different pants!
    It's a Hybrid--Burns Gas and Rubber