Thread: 518i M40B18 Efi to Carb swap

My Cars
    E34 518i

518i M40B18 Efi to Carb swap

Hello forum, after change my previous engine (runs with oil leakage arround 2 years, disaster......), i found a same engine from E30, M40B18 and after change gaskets, filters, injectors, engine harness with ecu (motronic), now i have a good working engine.
    So friend of mine give me 2 webers DCOE and i'm thinking to install on my e34. I Have found infos about ECU arround internet, motronic can drive ignition coil (to keep stock advance maps / timing) with crank sensor and knock sensor only without more sensors. But i dont know if that solution is working.
    air flow meter, air temp sensor, lamda, throttle potentiometer is only to "tune" the air/fuel mixture to the engine, advance timing can taken from crank / knock sensors (?)
    Intake manifold isn't problem for me, i can make a custom manifold.
    I have in my mind to make something like video. Is it possible or i need standalone ecu for advance timing? I know i'm dont except to make my engine arround 1000HP dragster, but webers it helps a little bit to increase torque in that motor (and fuel consumption too haha).
    p.s. i'm don't crazy, i'm in love with webers sound and i know how to tune it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyKKIMnmpio

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    A good tune will serve you better.
    It will be a big undertaking with an underwhelming result.
    No carburetor in the world or any tune will make that little wheezer anything but sloooow.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    BMWs
    Dude you live in Athens there are better things to do!

My Cars
    no car
    If you want a nice little motor in that 518 swap it for a M42, almost straight swap and you gain 30HP

My Cars
    E34 518i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    A good tune will serve you better.
    It will be a big undertaking with an underwhelming result.
    No carburetor in the world or any tune will make that little wheezer anything but sloooow.
    Only way to tune that engine is to change the ECU with some programmable ecu. Just the cost of complete M5 engine swap. And for what to increase +20Hp? 2 good carbs can do that with same fuel comsuption.

Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Almost completely pointless to convert to carbs, and if you still use electronic ignition, completely pointless.
    Why? Project is to keep stock ecu just for spark and ignition timing. If i can keep ignition timing (with rev limiters also) from stock ecu there is no point to go to another ecu. i told that in my first post. I'm not except to make my engine 200hp. 110 hp is ok for me right now. Just for learn and waste my time...

Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Dude you live in Athens there are better things to do!
    Like what? To go at liosion street and take complete engine with harness, exhaust, transmision and that cost me 2 new cars for my granny? haha
    I know the best solutions for my car and for me also. I want make that swap just for playing and waste my time too.
    The value for money project in Greece is to keep 518 stock as possible and take another E30, E36 or E34 with some "M" engine and going for playing.
    M40 engines and 6 cylinder engines below 2500cc (stock) is useles to have real power. and biggest pain is the taxes here and mechanics too.

Quote Originally Posted by undifined1 View Post
    If you want a nice little motor in that 518 swap it for a M42, almost straight swap and you gain 30HP
    Yes is a good option that. friend of my have in he's 518 that engine. Smooth and stable swap but still electronicaly managed. If you know what i mean.
    Last edited by Dbnn; 04-06-2021 at 01:38 PM.

My Cars
    E34T
    If it's just for learning and wasting your time, sure. I call it otherwise pointless because you gain nothing in reliability (you would if there were no ECU at all) and lose in most other respects - adaptability to different weather and different altitudes, economy, power...

My Cars
    BMWs
    I meant you're in Athens and there's cooler stuff to do in general, not with cars!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    " Just the cost of complete M5 engine swap. And for what to increase +20Hp? 2 good carbs can do that with same fuel comsuption."

Have at it sport. Please report back with your results.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E34 518i
    Hello there, DCOE's have a problem in bodies so i found Dellortos DHLA40 in good condition from working engine.
    I'm stuck to intake manifold, i found dbilas as good option but there is another option from another engine? Like M10 or something older with same bolt position?
    I was thinking of finding an M40 intake manifold from scrap (to keep my existing intake manifold stock), cutting it at the bottom where it mount into the cylinder head and leaving about 10cm of "pipe", then making tiles where the carburetors will mount and the joint to do it with a silicone pipe like Samco.
    DHLA.png

My Cars
    E34T
    Most of us are in the US, which never got the 518i. You'll find more relevant knowledge in the E30 and E36 sections.