Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M60 & M62 Supercharging Kit Using Jaguar XKR XJR Eaton M112 with Intercoolers

My Cars
    BMW E21 315 1982

M60 & M62 Supercharging Kit Using Jaguar XKR XJR Eaton M112 with Intercoolers

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting on a forum like this ever, so my apologies if something is out of orderly fashion.

A little background about me:
    I'm currently a 23 years old student and living in The Netherlands and I forever wanted a BMW e21 that spoke out. So I bought one that was basically a Rust bucket (315 with m10b16) and started working on it. I could never figure out what type of engine I liked so I snooped around a lot and actually bought (and sold) a m10b18 and m42b18. Then I found a thread of some guy, cannot remember his name, but he swapped a M60B40 into an E21, and i liked it very much. So i decided to do that too. I bought myself a M60B30 with manual gearbox, but i still was snooping around to make it even sexier. Then I came across what i thought was the best looking combo ever, an M62B44 with a XKR supercharger. The build is somewhere on this website, will post a link if i can find it.

So i went to look for a supercharger set from an XKR, and actually found one very cheap. I bought it, but could not, for the life of me, find an adapter kit. So i reached the whole point of this post:

I made one myself and I was thinking of making a couple to sell locally or globally for anyone interested. I wanted to do something in return for the community as many of the posts inspired me to buy and build my own BMW.

Currently I'm extremely busy and I think this summer, most of the work will be finished for sales etc. If anyone wants details or something just PM or add to thread. I will reply however i can.

I hope someone is able to put the kit to good use.

Sorry for the long story, but thanks for the read!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    S/C 03’ 540iM
    Good stuff! I'm currently looking for some adaptor plates to build a hi-ram (holley-style) manifold for my TU. Already running with a centri but the Jag setup is definitely cool.
    S/C 2003 540i Msport

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Nice. Toolman did something similar many years ago. Not sure if he is making kits though. Look at his belt wrap on the front pulley. Really help prevent slip. I like your integrated front extension for idler pulley support.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...harger-install
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    e30
    Ill take one, depending one price.
    send me a pm with what you are asking for it.

My Cars
    BMW E21 315 1982
    Thank you for the kind words.
    The reason why I altered the idler pulley was that i didn't like the timing case mounting.
    In my design process, I saw that the belt runs - from the front view - clockwise. Meaning that the idler pulley in a different configuration is always under extreme tension. Now it runs on the slack side. The second reason was that the waterpump pulley has too little grip in the other configuration.

Besides that I've also designed a pressfit mount to mount on the snout, on that pressfit any pulley size can be attached. Currently I've made 4 pulley designs that are scaled for M60B30/B40 and M62B35/B44. B46 is optional, havent designed that one, but (nearly) any size is possible.

i'll keep updating everything, but inserting images and replying to PMs seems troublesome. I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong..?
    Last edited by dumry; 04-03-2021 at 10:52 AM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by dumry View Post
    i'll keep updating everything, but inserting images and replying to PMs seems troublesome. I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong..?
    As a member with a low message count, you will encounter issues when you edit your posts. After your post count increases, this effect will go away.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    1999 BMW540 Supercharged
    Looks good I'm running a toolman kit.. there seem to be a few enthusiasts looking to supercharge there V8's out there so you could see some interest.
    1999 540 Auto with Eaton M112 supercharger
    Airlift 3H/P management, M5 steering box, M5 LSD, Eibach/Dinan front and rear anti roll bars, PM Modifich door boards, 4 Eton 6.5s, Sound Magus VS3500.1, 2 x 10" Kove audio subs, Alpine ICS X7 Headunit, 19" BBS Hammer Sports RT245/RT246, Muffler delete, electric coolant fan.

My Cars
    BMW E21 315 1982
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1958 View Post
    Looks good I'm running a toolman kit.. there seem to be a few enthusiasts looking to supercharge there V8's out there so you could see some interest.
    That is really cool. How is it running? I'm very curious how you experience the kit. Haven't been able to test my engine just yet, so any experiences are welcome. Do you run it with the OEM jaguar pulley?

Gazzed07
    I could send you a DWG file for the intake manifold surface if you like? Really easy for cnc cutting

My Cars
    1999 BMW540 Supercharged
    [QUOTE=dumry;30669345]That is really cool. How is it running? I'm very curious how you experience the kit. Haven't been able to test my engine just yet, so any experiences are welcome. Do you run it with the OEM jaguar pulley?]

Its running very well and I am happy but it could be better and safer with a more competent ecu. I did change the jag pulley for a smaller size 2.8" springs to mind.
    I also blew up my first engine due to ring butting on cyl 1 I rebuilt it with another block and decompression rods.
    Airlift 3H/P management, M5 steering box, M5 LSD, Eibach/Dinan front and rear anti roll bars, PM Modifich door boards, 4 Eton 6.5s, Sound Magus VS3500.1, 2 x 10" Kove audio subs, Alpine ICS X7 Headunit, 19" BBS Hammer Sports RT245/RT246, Muffler delete, electric coolant fan.

My Cars
    BMW E21 315 1982
    [QUOTE=Kenny1958;30669446]
    Quote Originally Posted by dumry View Post
    That is really cool. How is it running? I'm very curious how you experience the kit. Haven't been able to test my engine just yet, so any experiences are welcome. Do you run it with the OEM jaguar pulley?]

Its running very well and I am happy but it could be better and safer with a more competent ecu. I did change the jag pulley for a smaller size 2.8" springs to mind.
    I also blew up my first engine due to ring butting on cyl 1 I rebuilt it with another block and decompression rods.
    141mm rods? Sorry to hear about blowing the first engine up. But we learn as we go I guess haha. High combustion temperatures (and detonation) are one of my worst headaches as of this moment, so the second adapter model will probably feature some ports for direct port methanol/water injection. I have no experience what so ever with methanol, but the results always look very promising. The pulley I designed for a B44, what i assume you have, has a diameter of 2.75", so i'm guessing it's nicely matched.

I was planning to use speeduino as programmable ECU, and create/source maps for all m60 m62 variants (or at least create a base map) using lineair scaling.

My Cars
    1999 BMW540 Supercharged
    [QUOTE=dumry;30669509]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1958 View Post

141mm rods? Sorry to hear about blowing the first engine up. But we learn as we go I guess haha. High combustion temperatures (and detonation) are one of my worst headaches as of this moment, so the second adapter model will probably feature some ports for direct port methanol/water injection. I have no experience what so ever with methanol, but the results always look very promising. The pulley I designed for a B44, what i assume you have, has a diameter of 2.75", so i'm guessing it's nicely matched.

I was planning to use speeduino as programmable ECU, and create/source maps for all m60 m62 variants (or at least create a base map) using lineair scaling.
    Yeah 141mm around 8.5-1. I'm afraid my knowledge of tuning is very poor but my daughters Dutch boyfriend is doing computer coding at university he might be able to help me understand a little more but they are stuck in Sterling in Scotland at the moment due to Covid and I haven't seen them in a yr now.
    The quick change pulley was bought from USA when I bought my kit from toolman I cant quite remember the price but it was affordable enough.

My Cars
    BMW135i N55B Coupe
    Hi, I'm looking for the adaptor kit as well. How is the kit holding up? and is it available?

My Cars
    BMW135i N55B Coupe
    Hi dumry, do you still have the DWG file for the intake manifold surface? I'm looking at the same set up. any help or assistance would greatly be appreciated. especially from Down Under where it's limited for these thing and it's expensive too due to the freight and conversion rate. cheers

My Cars
    BMW E21 315 1982
    Hi, there are some fitment issues to work out, but those issues are only minor. I can send you a DXF/DWG file for the BMW side. In the summer I will be finishing up the wiring and then I will test run the engine, so I will give an update then.

I'll PM you the BMW side file

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    In for updates.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    PERFORMANCE:JB4 w/ meth, stage 2 tune, wrapped downpipes, custom intake
    INTERIOR:AVIN 10.25" screen, Blackvue 550 dashcam, 7" tablet for JB4 logging
    EXTERIOR:Niche staggered 20's or AC Forged staggered 22's, H&R 2" suspension, LED AE, CF front splitter
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd swap, iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated & silicone impregnated pistons, Sealed Power rings, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, perf cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminium heatshield/wrapped MAF tubing, Magnaflow 14816'd, Eaton M112 in-work
    INTERIOR:Android Dynavin, hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D monoblock, CF silver trim, 5% tint
    EXTERIOR:///MPar staggered 19's, H&R Stage 2/Bilstein HD, custom notched bumper, Shadowline trim, 750iL brakes w/ Axxis pads
    190hp 97 328ci
    PERFORMANCE:Single mass flywheel, ///M3 clutch
    EXTERIOR:Z4///M staggered 18's, rolled fenders, tinted markers

My Cars
    2000 BMW 320i sedan LPG

Thumbs up

Well done, nice adapter plate!
    Is this a one piece design, what material did you use?
    The bloc before machining must be huuuuge!!!

I'm currently studying adapting the Cadillac m122 unit on m62b44.
    I wanted to know if you had an idea of the damper pulley offset with the first inlet port?!

EDIT : maybe I'll come see the car, it seems I live 48min away from your city!!
    Last edited by mortagnais; 05-03-2022 at 04:55 PM.

My Cars
    02 E53 X5 4.6 swap
    Subscribed. I am a newbie when it comes to rebuilding engines, but I have a M62TUB44 that came out of my X5 project and want to rebuild it as a M60B44 and use it for a new build of some sort. From what I read, forced induction is probably the only way that V8 is putting out 400 hp (a target number I’ve got in my head for some reason).
    Last edited by Henn28; 05-03-2022 at 04:46 PM.
    Current BMW
    2002 E53 X5 4.6i (4.4 to 4.6 swap)
    Former BMWs
    1996 BMW Z3
    1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan
    2004 BMW E46 M3

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    Cadillac m122 has already been fitted.
    I could sell adapters, but there is so much required to make it work, you should wait for me to release the entire kit.Attachment 704123Attachment 70412420220112_210638.jpg

Fully bolt on, but your engine will have to be fully disassembled to regap the rings, or it will last one week. The engine, that is.
    Not enough room for past/present garage

My Cars
    BMW E21 315 1982
    Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    Cadillac m122 has already been fitted.
    I could sell adapters, but there is so much required to make it work, you should wait for me to release the entire kit.Attachment 704123Attachment 70412420220112_210638.jpg

Fully bolt on, but your engine will have to be fully disassembled to regap the rings, or it will last one week. The engine, that is.
    Wow that looks like a beast. What troubles did you find when fitting it? One problem I noticed with the belt was that the alternator bolt is very close to hitting the belt, so that needs deepening out.

I'm sorry if i have not replied to any messages last year, it has been crazy busy. Some minor steps have been made in progression to the full supercharger build. I only have some scarce weekend nights to work on the car and engine. So progress is slow. Currently I have been working on adapting the subframe of a e34 540i to fit an e21. Because of the power steering and bigger brakes and 5x120 hubs. Since the v8 is probably a lot heavier than a m10, certainly with the supercharger, powersteering has become a must. Will post pictures later on.

My Cars
    BMW E21 315 1982

My Cars
    BMW E21 315 1982

My Cars
    BMW E21 315 1982
    Quote Originally Posted by mortagnais View Post
    Well done, nice adapter plate!
    Is this a one piece design, what material did you use?
    The bloc before machining must be huuuuge!!!

I'm currently studying adapting the Cadillac m122 unit on m62b44.
    I wanted to know if you had an idea of the damper pulley offset with the first inlet port?!

EDIT : maybe I'll come see the car, it seems I live 48min away from your city!!
    Yes the block was pretty huge, but then again, the costly part of machining is not the material, its the labour and machine running costs. Material is something like alu 5000 series, the machinist told me to use it rather than 6000 or 7000 series due to the heat cycle properties and corrosion. So thats that.

- - - Updated - - -

I have also decided to make the adapter plate public available. I will upload the CAD files somewhere this year when I have more time. The main issue is costs. Many people have asked me to give them a quote for the costs of a complete kit without the charger itself, but almost all don't actually follow through. I understand that the costs are high, but since the part is relatively complex, it is difficult to bring the costs down. Separating the left and right bank could help ease the costs, but this is only marginal. Since the fixation for the current design is already made, it is actually cheaper to continu milling them like it is now. Costs are in total around 1000 eu to 1100 eu. sharing the CAD file online could help some of you maybe for figuring it out with a local machinist for cheaper. However, I do note, that the design is not perfect, the fitment with engine and supercharger is good, but some manual machining of the tensioning pulley is likely required, although this is not difficult.

It might also be possible to actually 3d print certain components, such as the supercharger and tensioner pulley. Although this I have not tried, I will do in the future.
    Last edited by dumry; 10-04-2022 at 05:32 AM.

My Cars
    6er
    How much further above the heads does the supercharger and intake sit? Trying to figure out how much extra room at the top is needed for a setup like this.

My Cars
    BMW E21 315 1982
    IMG_0490.jpg

From the top of the supercharger assembly to the top of the heads is at least 15 cm, which is about 5.9 inch. You'll probably need a bit more, considering heat and vibrations and all.

I've attached another picture regarding the depth, but this depends on your setup. In my case i've used an adapterplate to adapt the original bmw throttlebody to the supercharger.

IMG_0488.jpg

My Cars
    E38
    Did the cad files ever find their way online or is it still a wip?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast