Thread: Whats everyone been up to? Check in thread!

My Cars
    98 328is

Whats everyone been up to? Check in thread!

just noticed some threads are being revived and there are still a few of you in here that are active. i miss forums. facebook is easy but its hard to search and find actual technical info with decent pics.

whats everyone been up to?

heres a rundown of my drift life. i dont have pics though.

• bought e36
    • did some things
    • m50 manifold
    • Denofa drove car for how to buy a drift car vid
    • fixed things
    • blew a head gasket after a rad hose popped off
    • added a legit temp gauge in the head so i can monitor temps
    • replaced head gasket
    • added M3 cams
    • blew a steering rack
    • replaced rack and added tie rod spacers
    • caged the car
    • had a blast at Lone Star Bash 2019
    • sidelined in 2020 due to medical things
    • 2021 cleared for duty
    • buy SLR, buy new Simpson Sa2020 bandit helmet, but new seat, buy garagistic seat mounts, fix dead vanos issue, finally buy an RKtune
    • car runs like shit (tune not installed yet)
    • leaks everywhere
    • milky oil
    • become suspect
    • remove intake
    • discover arctic freeze of 2021 that shut down texas has killed my motor (the head at the very least, but there was a large chunk of metal on my magnetic drain plug)

i did find a replacement motor the same day, but its still in the parts car. buddy says he should have it out in 2 weeks. i already ordered new gaskets all around. going to add a oil pan baffle and do the oil pump nut. going to "rebuild" the injectors with the stuff from racegerman as well as add in an adapter to run an oil pressure gauge.

hopefully ill be ready and good to go by Club Loose Texas event in April
    Last edited by RandomHero27; 03-26-2021 at 11:48 AM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    lol when someone said they cracked their head, I never expect THAT! You ran 100% water or something? My area hits single digits F and I've never had that happen before. But I generally run 50/50.

For me though? I've rebuilt my motor 3x for mostly reasons out of my control or sheer bad luck. Like one time, I blew a plastic fitting (thanks PO) in my cooling system when the motor was already hot and it warped/blew the head gasket. Finally though, the motor might be in for the final time. Having random issues like killing power steering pumps but I look forward to fixing the little things and dialing in the car. I'm still on rubber mounts and stock rear arms you know?

Here's me a few weeks ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3X78qmmZiU

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    lol when someone said they cracked their head, I never expect THAT! You ran 100% water or something? My area hits single digits F and I've never had that happen before. But I generally run 50/50.

For me though? I've rebuilt my motor 3x for mostly reasons out of my control or sheer bad luck. Like one time, I blew a plastic fitting (thanks PO) in my cooling system when the motor was already hot and it warped/blew the head gasket. Finally though, the motor might be in for the final time. Having random issues like killing power steering pumps but I look forward to fixing the little things and dialing in the car. I'm still on rubber mounts and stock rear arms you know?

Here's me a few weeks ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3X78qmmZiU
    im at work and cant listen, but arent you LS? i heard the LS over drives the factory bmw pump and maybe thats blowing the racks? or maybe youve already fixed the issue.

so... i remember adding in BMW blue coolant. like my buddy was giving me shit for using prestone, so he bought me a bottle of bmw blue. i remember removing the thermostat and all the plugs and water hosing everything to flush it. then sealing it back up and adding in the blue. i dont remember ever having to open the cooling system back up or losing it anywhere, but i guess i did. may have been some track side incident i dont remember.

i picked up a 5.3 3 weeks ago. 5.3, LS1 intake, 46lb injectors, aluminum fuel rail, lsx innovation mounts, and an engine stand..... $200. sadly i just used my stimmy to pay off a bunch of cards and my grown up side is refusing to let me use those cards ever again. so i only had enough money to get a donor motor. old motor out, donor motor in. thats it. so i had to make the tough decision to sell the 5.3. i kept the mounts and the engine stand and sold it to a buddy for $450. but now the new M52 will be getting all new gaskets, oil pump nut will finally be done, oil pan baffle, some other goodies, and ill be adding and after market oil pressure gauge.

it hurt to let that 5.3 go. a lot. but i had to be an adult.
    Last edited by RandomHero27; 03-30-2021 at 10:18 AM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Heheh we're getting older and wiser. I do that thing where I pay off my card every month. Although I have 2 car payments right now. I just can't afford to HAVE to wrench when I have kids that need to get places. When I was single, it wasn't an issue. Good on you for being mature though. It's tough.

That cracked head looks weird though. I woulda thought the freeze plugs would go first. But like, did you run the car after doing the tstat and junk? If not, I can see the coolant not mixing with the water? Who knows...

For me, I'm using the stock LS2 GTO PS pump to drive the bmw rack. It's supposed to be under pressurizing so I figure the BMW rack would just feel under boosted. I picked up a turn one HP2 pump. Which is their best pump and puts out the most pressure. I don't really care about too much or too little assist. I just want consistency and not to have to replace it. But speaking of being adult, I spent $500 on it instead of the OE $100 lol. Do it once, do it right.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Heheh we're getting older and wiser. I do that thing where I pay off my card every month. Although I have 2 car payments right now. I just can't afford to HAVE to wrench when I have kids that need to get places. When I was single, it wasn't an issue. Good on you for being mature though. It's tough.

That cracked head looks weird though. I woulda thought the freeze plugs would go first. But like, did you run the car after doing the tstat and junk? If not, I can see the coolant not mixing with the water? Who knows...

For me, I'm using the stock LS2 GTO PS pump to drive the bmw rack. It's supposed to be under pressurizing so I figure the BMW rack would just feel under boosted. I picked up a turn one HP2 pump. Which is their best pump and puts out the most pressure. I don't really care about too much or too little assist. I just want consistency and not to have to replace it. But speaking of being adult, I spent $500 on it instead of the OE $100 lol. Do it once, do it right.
    oddly enough the freeze plug did go. we replaced it and filled it and kept getting leaks, the heater core hose busted, jbweld that real quick, more leaks. until we lifted the intake manifold. and yeay, it was ran a few events and Bash 2019 after i added the coolant. there must have been some track side job i did and dont remember