Thread: F01 Misfire

My Cars
    2011 BMW 750i

F01 Misfire

Hello all,
    New here and hoping someone can offer some help. I have a 2011 F01 750i X-drive. It is my second car so it will sometimes sit for a couple weeks between being driven. I keep the car on a trickle charger to keep the battery up. The initial problem was the car would leak fuel out of the charcoal can filter whenever there was a significant change in temp (cool to warm). This would happen even when the tank was only 1/4 full. When this would happen, if i removed the gas cap there would be a lot of escaping air and fuel bubbling out of the filler neck.
    The latest just started about two weeks ago. The car will stumble under low-medium load. Mostly notable between 1500-2000 RPM. It would not however set a check engine light. Then last week it began misfiring quite bad (again around 1500-2000 rpm on tip-in. The car went into reduced power (limp) mode and check engine came on. Pulled to the side of the road, cycled power and car fired and ran smoothly @ idle. Was able to gingerly drive it home but had noticeable misfire again @ lower rpm and low-medium load.

Codes Set:
    128601 Oxygen Sensor before catalytic converter 2, trailing throttle; signal below limit value
    128F04 Oxygen Sensor before catalytic converter 2, line fault, open circuit, virtual ground or pump current lead
    12BA04 Oxygen Sensor heater before catalytic converter 2, temperature; sensor temperature measurement in ECU failed
    140501 misfire, cylinder 5, injection is cut out
    140801 misfire, cylinder 8, injection is cut out
    140601 misfire, cylinder 6, injection is cut out
    140001 misfire, several cylinders, injection is cut out

Any help would be appreciated

My Cars
    88-325,91-325ic,93-325i
    What finally cured all of my misfire and drivetrain error problems on my 2013 F01 750i was when I finally bought a set of new coils and a set of new park plugs and changed all of them. The coils were new Eldor brand from RM European. I bought new Bosch #ZR5TPP330A plugs. Don't use the older plugs for this engine as they had problems with the insulators cracking.
    Do this and you are likely solve your misfire problem.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 750i
    Quote Originally Posted by wilholl View Post
    What finally cured all of my misfire and drivetrain error problems on my 2013 F01 750i was when I finally bought a set of new coils and a set of new park plugs and changed all of them. The coils were new Eldor brand from RM European. I bought new Bosch #ZR5TPP330A plugs. Don't use the older plugs for this engine as they had problems with the insulators cracking.
    Do this and you are likely solve your misfire problem.
    Wilholl,
    Were you getting the same error codes? I have not gotten anything related to a failed coil. Were you getting misfires on more than one cyl?

My Cars
    88-325,91-325ic,93-325i
    I was getting misfires on cylinders 1,3,7, misfire several cylinders. Also, catalytic converter efficiency convertor 1.
    Cylinder 3 had been a problem from previous owner who had tried replacing plug and coil. Also, my cylinder 1 had a different plug installed.
    I installed a fresh set of plugs and the symptoms improved but did not go away. After installing new coils everything is fine, however the transmission shifting was still jerking a shuddering at low to partial throttle (no codes). When I finally replaced my battery (3 years old, kept on battery tender) the shifting and part throttle response smoothed out. Did see some low voltage errors in ISTA before the battery swap.
    Hopefully this slightly more detailed description is helpfully.
    I did also notice that the previous owner had changes the upstream and downstream o2 sensors on bank 1(passenger side) as they were different than the drivers side sensors. Ended up changing them all as well.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If you replace plug and coil on a cylinder and it still does not clear up swap injectors

My Cars
    2011 BMW 750i
    Thanks all. Wanted to add that i noticed the my intake air temp 2 was reading -58 degrees. I swapped them left to right and now both seem to be reading normally but this has had no effect on the misfiring. Hope to pull some plugs today and see what they look like.

Wilholl,
    Thanks for the details. As you mention it, i have had the jerking/shuttering shifting from time to time as well.