Thread: Can't seem to make INPA work.

My Cars
    2004 BMW E46 320D

Can't seem to make INPA work.

For the past week I've been trying different guides, installations of INPA, in different VM's, but all of those end up at the same point.
    Whenever I finish installing INPA, and connect to a car, I can see that the battery is connected, and Ignition responds to the key, but whenever I try to access literally any module (E46 320D, 2004 y.) for example DDE 5 for M47N, I get the same error: IFH-0003 datatransmission to interface disturbed. And it keeps repeating on literally every module.
    I know the cable works, since I've asked a few people to try it with their laptops and it worked fine.

As i've followed the guides i've edited edibias.ini, obd.ini, and serial ports in device manager, nothing helped.

Device manager ->
    Serial port: COM1
    Latency: 1ms

edibias.ini ->
    Interface: "STD:OBD,
    tried setting the tcp port to 6801
    tried setting remote host to 192.168.68.40
    tried going with defaults. (Where the remote host is some letters, and port is 3000)

obd.ini ->
    Port=Com1
    Hardware=USB
    RETRY=ON

I've tried this on win7, win10, winxp. (win10 was not a vm).
    I've installed INPA from Mikes EasyBMWTools, copied it from my friends pc, tried a few guides on Youtube. Nothing works.
    Even tried a windows xp premade VM. (https://mhhauto.com/Thread-VirtualBo...uch-more-v-1-3)

Under Info in the INPA interface, all the paths are showing up as ???, so im assuming something is configured wrong. Can there be a problem with a laptop in general, as it cannot communicate on virtual serial (although arduino serial works fine trough the cable.)

My Cars
    M3, 840, 635csi, Civic R
    I'm having the exact same issue. I'm trying to read an 840 e31 using a serial port connection with an ads adaptor. I am using INPA 5 on windows 7. I was considering changing to Windows XP but am stumped! Any help appreciated.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by zdeafz View Post
    For the past week I've been trying different guides, installations of INPA, in different VM's, but all of those end up at the same point.
    Whenever I finish installing INPA, and connect to a car, I can see that the battery is connected, and Ignition responds to the key, but whenever I try to access literally any module (E46 320D, 2004 y.) for example DDE 5 for M47N, I get the same error: IFH-0003 datatransmission to interface disturbed. And it keeps repeating on literally every module.
    I know the cable works, since I've asked a few people to try it with their laptops and it worked fine.

As i've followed the guides i've edited edibias.ini, obd.ini, and serial ports in device manager, nothing helped.

Device manager ->
    Serial port: COM1
    Latency: 1ms

edibias.ini ->
    Interface: "STD:OBD,
    tried setting the tcp port to 6801
    tried setting remote host to 192.168.68.40
    tried going with defaults. (Where the remote host is some letters, and port is 3000)

obd.ini ->
    Port=Com1
    Hardware=USB
    RETRY=ON

I've tried this on win7, win10, winxp. (win10 was not a vm).
    I've installed INPA from Mikes EasyBMWTools, copied it from my friends pc, tried a few guides on Youtube. Nothing works.
    Even tried a windows xp premade VM. (https://mhhauto.com/Thread-VirtualBo...uch-more-v-1-3)

Under Info in the INPA interface, all the paths are showing up as ???, so im assuming something is configured wrong. Can there be a problem with a laptop in general, as it cannot communicate on virtual serial (although arduino serial works fine trough the cable.)
    I would start asking the question if other tools can communicate to your car specifically?
    Maybe k-line / kbus is down?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by edhaz28 View Post
    I'm having the exact same issue. I'm trying to read an 840 e31 using a serial port connection with an ads adaptor. I am using INPA 5 on windows 7. I was considering changing to Windows XP but am stumped! Any help appreciated.
    It's not the same exact issue, you are on ADS connection on a different car. We need more info on what you have tried and what your settings and setup are.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2004 BMW E46 320D
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    I would start asking the question if other tools can communicate to your car specifically?
    Maybe k-line / kbus is down?

- - - Updated - - -

It's not the same exact issue, you are on ADS connection on a different car. We need more info on what you have tried and what your settings and setup are.
    The communication with my car doesn't seem to be broken down. Since i was able to access it with my friends laptop, and the same cable i've had no luck with on mine. I could read DDE, EWS, Airbag and etc. modules.
    We specifically tried INPA, PASoft and MPPS for flashing.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Ah ok

It seems you have localized it to your laptop then.
    Do all the USB ports do the same?
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2004 BMW E46 320D
    Ah ok

It seems you have localized it to your laptop then.
    Do all the USB ports do the same?
    Yes, it's all the same between all USB ports. I've thought it might be caused by USB 3.0, but since USB 2.0 did not do anything differently that idea went out of the window.
    I've attached some screenshots of the error/question marks in info.
    These same carry over to any operation system i've used.

https://i.imgur.com/jXnw4A0.png
    https://i.imgur.com/tqhNnqL.png
    https://i.imgur.com/SWC6rHC.png

Edit: Somehow imgur images did not show up, so i just posted the links.
    Last edited by zdeafz; 03-21-2021 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Editing for pictures.

My Cars
    M3, 840, 635csi, Civic R
    I'm using a Dell Latitude D520 laptop running windows 7. I have an ADS / OBD connector linked to the laptop through a R232 serial port. I'm trying to use INPA 5 - older cars list the e31. The ADS/OBD module lights up but seems to work better when in OBD mode. My car is an 840 M62 with the 4.4 engine and is September 1996. When it's in OBD mode the INPA battery and ignition boxes are checked correctly when they are connected. In ADS mode the battery indicator is on in INPA but when I switch the ignition on the indicator in INPA on the laptop goes off ... it seems it reads that part correctly in OBD mode. When I try to enter any of the modules it is giving me an error IFH-0003 Data transmission to interface disturbed. I am thinking I may need to try a K-line cable to USB but I did read somewhere that E31's are only accessible through a serial R232 port. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I'm using a Dell Latitude D520 laptop running windows 7. I have an ADS / OBD connector linked to the laptop through a R232 serial port. I'm trying to use INPA 5 - older cars list the e31. The ADS/OBD module lights up but seems to work better when in OBD mode. My car is an 840 M62 with the 4.4 engine and is September 1996. When it's in OBD mode the INPA battery and ignition boxes are checked correctly when they are connected. In ADS mode the battery indicator is on in INPA but when I switch the ignition on the indicator in INPA on the laptop goes off ... it seems it reads that part correctly in OBD mode. When I try to enter any of the modules it is giving me an error IFH-0003 Data transmission to interface disturbed. I am thinking I may need to try a K-line cable to USB but I did read somewhere that E31's are only accessible through a serial R232 port. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
    Dell laptop requires a custom ADS driver made specifically for Dell Serial ports. It's somewhere around these forums. Here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...87-Bat-and-ign

You must be on 32-bit Windows, so it should be Win7 x86 for the ADS drivers to work. Then you must run ADSSETUP.exe to load the drivers.

You need to install INPA Pack with EDIABAS 6.4.7 or 6.4.3 for ADS use. It usually comes with an older INPA than 5.0.6. I put a pack up here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...0#post29024210

While it's true that the E31 will have some ADS modules, your DME, transmission module, airbag system, and some others will be k-line.

I expect your ABS/ASC system and your instrument cluster to be L-line (ADS).
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 03-21-2021 at 06:26 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    BMW 850I 1992
    Hope this reference topic: reason & solution helps.

1.4 IFH-0003: Data transmission HOST/Interface failed
    Reason 1: In the Ediabas.ini file, the interface is set to STD:OBD. However, you have
    connected an ADS connector.
    Solution 1: Modify the interface setting.
    Reason 2: The data transmission failed when sending (e.g. short circuit in the line).
    Solution 2: Get rid of the short circuit, for example.
    Reason 3: Connector not connected or no power supplied.
    Solution 3: Check whether the connector is connected and is supplied with power.
    Reason 4: The device manager has been used to disable the FIFO buffer for COM1.
    Solution 4: In the device manager (Windows XP: Enter “Start” à “Control Panel” à
    “System” à “Hardware” à “Device Manager” à Ports (COM & LPT)), and then
    select COM1 from the ports. Then under the “Port Settings” tab, select
    “Advanced”. There must be a check-mark by “Use FIFO buffers” and “8” must be
    selected for the receive buffer and transmit puffer.

JC 850

My Cars
    2004 BMW E46 320D
    Quote Originally Posted by JC 850 View Post
    Hope this reference topic: reason & solution helps.

1.4 IFH-0003: Data transmission HOST/Interface failed
    Reason 1: In the Ediabas.ini file, the interface is set to STD:OBD. However, you have
    connected an ADS connector.
    Solution 1: Modify the interface setting.
    Reason 2: The data transmission failed when sending (e.g. short circuit in the line).
    Solution 2: Get rid of the short circuit, for example.
    Reason 3: Connector not connected or no power supplied.
    Solution 3: Check whether the connector is connected and is supplied with power.
    Reason 4: The device manager has been used to disable the FIFO buffer for COM1.
    Solution 4: In the device manager (Windows XP: Enter “Start” à “Control Panel” à
    “System” à “Hardware” à “Device Manager” à Ports (COM & LPT)), and then
    select COM1 from the ports. Then under the “Port Settings” tab, select
    “Advanced”. There must be a check-mark by “Use FIFO buffers” and “8” must be
    selected for the receive buffer and transmit puffer.

JC 850
    Im using the OBD port so ADS doesn't check out.
    I've tried the FIFO buffers option, everything else does not checkout (unless all my USB ports on the laptop short circuit, but that doesn't seem to be right.)
    Power is supplied, the red led lights up on the cable. (and it also works with other laptops).

My Cars
    M3, 840, 635csi, Civic R
    Thanks for this information - I will get onto this today and let you know how it works out. By the way my issue with the car is with the immobiliser - I left the key in the ignition and the batteries went dead and now it doesn't crank - to my shame it has been almost 2 years since this happened so I am really desperate to get things working again! Many other avenues have been checked and I'm almost certain it's the alignment of the DME to the EWS unit if only I could read the error codes. A USB cable may read this if I fail to get this interface to work?

My Cars
    M3, 840, 635csi, Civic R
    Dell laptop requires a custom ADS driver made specifically for Dell Serial ports. It's somewhere around these forums. Here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...87-Bat-and-ign

You must be on 32-bit Windows, so it should be Win7 x86 for the ADS drivers to work. Then you must run ADSSETUP.exe to load the drivers.

You need to install INPA Pack with EDIABAS 6.4.7 or 6.4.3 for ADS use. It usually comes with an older INPA than 5.0.6. I put a pack up here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...0#post29024210

While it's true that the E31 will have some ADS modules, your DME, transmission module, airbag system, and some others will be k-line.

I expect your ABS/ASC system and your instrument cluster to be L-line (ADS).
    This will only work on Windows XP right? I have Windows 7 on this laptop so I'll have to figure out how to change the system.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    This will only work on Windows XP right? I have Windows 7 on this laptop so I'll have to figure out how to change the system.
    Your DME and EWS modules are both k-line modules, no ADS necessary.
    I would read codes in both. Clear codes, and reread again.

Just use K-DCAN cable with 20-pin adapter and New INPA on your Win 7. Setting up ADS may be worthwhile ONLY for instrument cluster and ABS...
    Set it up as OBD.

If NO ews related codes in DME or EWS, you may be looking at needing a new starter, ignition switch, or something simple like that.

The EWS2 system had no rolling codes or anything to fall out of sync.

For what it's worth, ADS works with all 32-bit windows. It doesn't have to be XP. XP is currently very old and may be a pain.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    M3, 840, 635csi, Civic R
    Your DME and EWS modules are both k-line modules, no ADS necessary.
    I would read codes in both. Clear codes, and reread again.

Just use K-DCAN cable with 20-pin adapter and New INPA on your Win 7. Setting up ADS may be worthwhile ONLY for instrument cluster and ABS...
    Set it up as OBD.

If NO ews related codes in DME or EWS, you may be looking at needing a new starter, ignition switch, or something simple like that.

The EWS2 system had no rolling codes or anything to fall out of sync.

For what it's worth, ADS works with all 32-bit windows. It doesn't have to be XP. XP is currently very old and may be a pain.

Update - I'm no further forward unfortunately. I bought a USB K-Dcan adaptor which is switchable to K-line. Installed all the drivers and am using Mikes BMW INPA set-up with INPA 5. Should I be looking for a different version of INPA? I am still getting the Error IPF-0003 - datatransmission to interface disturbed. I’m not getting any battery or ignition status either with this cable. This is the cable I bought

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goldplay-Ediabas-Interface-Support-serials/dp/B07Z43146F/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Goldplay+INPA+K%2B+CA N+Ediabas+Cable+with+Switch+DCAN+Interface+Coding+ Support+E+serials+Interface+for+R56+E87+E93+E70+…& qid=1616954094&s=automotive&sr=1-1

My other set-up was switchable from ADS to OBD - in OBD format I was getting the correct battery and ignition status but still the same error code -0003 datatransmission to interface disturbed. I thought the 20 pin plug looked a little corroded and have been trying to clean it up a little but any other ideas would be welcome.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    "IFH-0003 datatransmission to interface disturbed."

Same here, multiple versions of INPA tried, 2 different cables tried.
    Frustrating.
    (FYI, I'm trying to communicate with a stand alone E46 M3 MK60 unit)

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    "IFH-0003 datatransmission to interface disturbed."

Same here, multiple versions of INPA tried, 2 different cables tried.
    Frustrating.
    (FYI, I'm trying to communicate with a stand alone E46 M3 MK60 unit)
    Are you connecting directly to the ABS? E46 needs the instrument cluster for communication for some modules.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1995 M3
    No cluster, but I have heard from others that connecting directly to the MK60 ABS/DSC is possible via OBDII & INPA.
    Quite a few have said they've done it.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    No cluster, but I have heard from others that connecting directly to the MK60 ABS/DSC is possible via OBDII & INPA.
    Quite a few have said they've done it.
    Ok, good. Besides double checking that you have all the necessary power, grounds, and K-line attached, the next thing to check is if the K-DCAN's COM port number in Device Manager matches the COM port in C:\ediabas\bin\obd.ini file
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Cool! Awesome, I'll check. Thanks for the help!

Meaning, I'll check tomorrow. MK60 and the cable is at the shop.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 04-22-2021 at 06:53 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Well, I'm not sure I have the right drivers loaded. Confused. Windows 10 popped up with the usual "configuring hardware to work" thing when I first plugged the USB/OBDII cable in, so I assumed all was good. But looking at the device manager, it says no drivers loaded, error 28, or such.

I guess I gotta figure that out first.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Oh yea, correct and working drivers goes without saying.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Again, thanks for the help. I'm having no luck finding drivers that work. I'll load something, W10 will say good to go, then device manager shows "not working".
    I have a friend with a working setup, gonna try that and go from there. Hopefully we'll figure it out.

My Cars
    BMW e46 325Ci
    I managed to run INPA on Windows 10 64bit today.

At start when plugging the cable in I was getting error that the device was malfunctioning. Turned out that the cable was not happy with the USB 3.0 so I went into the BIOS of my laptop and disabled USB 3.0.
    The cable now was being detected by Windows but the drivers were not working.
    I googled them and found the following drivers: Drivers - FTDI (ftdichip.com) And I downloaded this: https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uplo...1228_Setup.zip

When installing the drivers make sure that you have the cable plugged in.
    Once I got confirmation and green ticks that the drivers were installed I went into device manager and now I could see the com ports.
    By default for some reason the COM port was set to COM3, I right-clicked -> Properties -> Advanced and changed it to COM1 then changed the latency to 1ms.

Also, make sure you have the right cable.
    Does your cable have a switch so you can switch between the connection types?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks, good info. I have a friend with a working setup, so I've set this problem aside for a while. I will get back to it, and when I get it running, will update what I did.

My cable does have a switch, and I bought a CD reader to load the drivers that came with it.