Thread: Thoughts/Opinion - Repair or Delete sunroof?

My Cars
    1996 BMW 840Ci

Thoughts/Opinion - Repair or Delete sunroof?

Like many, I have an 840ci that has a non-operational sunroof. It seems that most parts to get it working again are available, but not cheap especially to get them to New Zealand.

Although I would like to keep it 'factory original' (as much as possible anyway) and have a working sunroof, is it worth doing or should i look at 'welding' it shut? What are the pro's/con's? Anything to consider? etc...

It's a keeper so not worried about re-sale value. Oh, I have two 8's would it make sense to fix one and weld the other?

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    If the panel hasn’t rusted, I would bite the bullet, buy the racks, cable trolleys, and lift gates, and rebuild it to full working order again.

Welding the sunroof shut may be possible, but you will have a very difficult job trying to fabricate your own headliner to suit a non sunroof car. The non sunroof headliners have been NLA for years.

I’ve just done the rebuild on my car, and while expensive, and confusing at times, I’m pleased that I got it done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 BMW 840Ci
    ^ Thanks! Sunroof panel is not rusted, which is a bonus. Rebuild is a strong option still as having an operational sunroof would be pretty cool.

My Cars
    1992 E31 850i
    It has always been my plan -- if I ever get to the "project 8" parked in the barn -- to delete the sunroof. They're nothing but trouble, leaks, and misalignments. (I own a roadster and a convertible, so when I want open air, I have it -- I have little use for a hole in the top of any other car.) If and when I ever get around to it, all the guts will be removed, the top will be welded solid, and we'll finish up with a skim of body filler and fresh paint for a nice external finish.

As far as the interior headliner, I know it's been NLA forever. I don't think it would actually be that hard to simply make a custom headliner, or pay an interior upholstery shop to do it. That kind of work can be found cheaply around here, and my interior needs quite a bit of work that I would hire out.

Cheers, John

radlaw is offline SoCalEights Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    I removed my roof and replaced with a factory non-sunroof top. Expensive. I then had a new hard headliner fabricated. Expensive. I then had a Alcantara soft headliner made. Kind of expensive. However, I love it and admire the absent sunroof daily. Worth it!

- - - Updated - - -

I removed my roof and replaced with a factory non-sunroof top. Expensive. I then had a new hard headliner fabricated. Expensive. I then had a Alcantara soft headliner made. Kind of expensive. However, I love it and admire the absent sunroof daily. Worth it!

Welding it is fraught with hazards: Warping, leaking, interior damage while welding, rough spots etc.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would love to delete my sunroof, plastic piece of crap

My Cars
    1996 BMW 840Ci
    Thanks for the replies. 'Expensive but worth it' seems to be a theme either way. Joking aside, I am leaning towards keeping the sunroof in situ and sealing it so there no leaks for now. That way I can concentrate on other priorities for now, accumulate parts for a sunroof build, then get sorted at a later date. Also, having the hoodlining retrimmed at the moment so a bit too late to refabricate it.

My Cars
    1996 850CI
    Quote Originally Posted by radlaw View Post

Welding it is fraught with hazards: Warping, leaking, interior damage while welding, rough spots etc.
    I would love to see pictures if you have any?

My Cars
    2009 M6, 2002 M3 conv.,
    I rebuilt my sunroof a couple years ago on my 850i. At this point, I would have rather spent the money and deleted that piece of crap instead. If you have a “good” method to do sunroof delete I would delete it. If you can make it not leak then just move forward on other projects. BMW has seem to think that 8 series plastic sunroof parts are worth triple the price. Just my worthless opinion

My Cars
    1996 BMW 840Ci
    Little update - no progress yet due to the sunroof panel being damaged while the headlining was being done. Trying to source one from NZ is not an easy task!