Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: X5 With Non-Run-flat Tires?

My Cars
    2017 BMW X5 e-drive

Question X5 With Non-Run-flat Tires?

HI - new to this group -

My 2017 X5 e-drive's original Goodyear run-flat tires are just about shot, with only 34,000 miles on them. Spent considerable time this week looking at tires on Tire Rack web site and liked the specs on Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II. And then realized they were not run-flat tires. So, I did some more research - turns out that, from what I've read, the run-flat tires of this size, for the X5, are much poorer performers in light snow, are a lot noisier, and overall get less miles on them than the "regular" tires. Note that I'm basing those statements on the ratings of Tire Rack, and I'm sure that everyone has their own opinions on the stuff.

I also realize that the X5 (like many other vehicles) comes with NO spare tire. The fact that 99% of my driving is on local roads and highways kinda makes me a bit more confident that I'll not be stranded in the middle of nowhere if I get a flat. I'm thinking that it's a trade-off in going with the Pirelli non-run-flat tires - getting much better mileage, better snow performance, and a quieter ride. After a couple years, maybe a AAA membership would be a wise option.

Anyway, have folks in this forum gone with non-run-flat tires for their X5 vehicles, and if so, has it turned out to be a good decision for you?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I have a 2018 M240i with Michelin Pilot Super Sport (PSS) tires. It has no spare. I’ve never had a flat in my 3+ years of ownership. I did buy a kit that includes a tool to pull the nail/screw out of the tread and has plugs along with a plug tool. So, while I’m screwed (pun intended) if I hit something that really damaged a tire, I hopefully can repair a flat tire.

Have you looked at the Michelin equivalent of the Pirelli? I’m not a fan of “P” tires as I’ve had some “bad” experiences with them.

JMHO