Thread: Horizontal or Vertical hydraulic handbrake

My Cars
    Martini BMW E36

Horizontal or Vertical hydraulic handbrake

I've been contemplating when I start making a hydraulic handbrake, which way should I design fit it. Do I weld the plate further back and make it horizontal like the OEM style. Possibly having less space issues and no interference with the gear shifter. Or do I go vertical (push or pull) in between the shifter and steering wheel and possibly having it more comfortable etc? It's fully stripped car with dash and heater and I'm asking because of handle pull comfort issue. I'm trying to imagine which way is best muscle wise when you pull it so I don't hit the my elbow in the bucket seat or jamming my knee into it since I'm a tall guy, or even worst not usable when in 1st or 5th gear depending on which side of the tunnel is mounted. Any food for thoughts and why you would prefer one or the other....? I'm thinking in the lines of as if it had over exaggerated travel with a long lever fitted either way which would be the less annoying way to use the wand.

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    after experiencing both, I would not recommend a pull up(horizontal) style unless you are running a really strong secondary caliper set up(4 piston wilwoods and 3/4 master). there are many tall guys that just mount the (vertical)handbrake on the passenger side of the trans tunnel. this will give you the most space and is the better spot to put muscle into it, especially if you're trying to lock tires with stock calipers and a 5/8 master.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    its totally driver preference. Denofa and Reeder are both running pull ups, but I'm pretty sure Vaughn is pull back despite the cars being very similar.

- - - Updated - - -

and yeah my pull back is on the pass side of the tunnel

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I use a pull back vertical. I instruct so I do a bunch of pull style as well. It doesn't really matter. I don't recommend a push style vertical just because leverage can be hard to get depending on your limb length.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    Martini BMW E36
    Hey thanks a lot for the replies, you were correct to assume it's standard brakes and inline. Matter of fact it's for different vehicles so it was more of a general idea. I've also wanted vertical but it's been bugging me for a while Chelsea Denofa recommending horizontal, so I wanted to ask people with experience. I'm actually welding the hydro from scratch so options are unlimited. I even want to test the pivot point and try different ratio based on the master cylinder I choose (most likely 0.625). In a perfect world it will have little travel and lock easily but I know that won't be the case. Anyways so far I'm heading towards vertical but the master cylinder will be located more towards the back with a rod attached to it to save some space on the FWD shitbox I need it for. The E36 will be just on the other side of the tunnel as there is plenty of space. I may end up asking few more questions as I progress.
    In fact first comes to mind is what's a comfortable handle? Should I stick to rubber handle of a bicycle for those freezing days or is a nice cold metal pipe tolerable during hot or cold days?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I think you're over thinking this man. You pull it for a second. Doesn't really matter if it's hot or cold. Just make something that fits in your hand reasonably well and your grip won't slip off. Mod as necessary.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by S1Driver View Post
    Hey thanks a lot for the replies, you were correct to assume it's standard brakes and inline. Matter of fact it's for different vehicles so it was more of a general idea. I've also wanted vertical but it's been bugging me for a while Chelsea Denofa recommending horizontal, so I wanted to ask people with experience. I'm actually welding the hydro from scratch so options are unlimited. I even want to test the pivot point and try different ratio based on the master cylinder I choose (most likely 0.625). In a perfect world it will have little travel and lock easily but I know that won't be the case. Anyways so far I'm heading towards vertical but the master cylinder will be located more towards the back with a rod attached to it to save some space on the FWD shitbox I need it for. The E36 will be just on the other side of the tunnel as there is plenty of space. I may end up asking few more questions as I progress.
    In fact first comes to mind is what's a comfortable handle? Should I stick to rubber handle of a bicycle for those freezing days or is a nice cold metal pipe tolerable during hot or cold days?

so you're looking for something like this?

https://us.gktech.com/hidden-hydraulic-e-brake-assembly

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    My first hydro was a vertical, didn't really like it that much also with it being in my line of sight I pulled it way too often. I switched to a horizontal and never looked back. But it just comes down to personal preference.