Thread: E36 Rear Upper Control Arms - Installed Backwards

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3

E36 Rear Upper Control Arms - Installed Backwards

OK, car was in hibernation for almost 2 years while I was lazily putting together/woking on a rear end bushing refresh on my 97' E36 M3. I had the entire rear end / subframe removed to do the work.

Life happened and I needed to finish quick and move the car. I got all the bushings finally put in by a machine shop and got the car back together. As I'm finalizing the project (rear subframe buck in, and getting wheels back on) I notice the rear control arms are not mirrored like I thought, they have a slightly different "twist" angle where the inner busing connects to the subframe! With no time to loose, and realizing it was a 50/50 chance I installed it correctly, I drove it to its new home 60 miles away. Drove Fine! Straight, better than I remember.

Doing some research.... I installed them backwards. Does anyone know how this will negatively impact alignment/suspension geometry/bushing wear? I do NOT want to drop my rear subframe again if I don't have too. It looks like I may be able to remove the bolt on the inner side by removing the rear axles from the diff. but even that does not look easy to me right now. It might be placebo, but I do think my rear tires are "toed in" just a hair too much than it should be. I have my previous alignment data, so I can take it back for my Firestone LifeTime alignment to see how far from factory spec it is.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions ideas

(The photos are of the Drivers side rear upper control arm. Left side of image is towards front of car, right side is towards rear)

IMG_3804.jpgIMG_3805.jpgScreen Shot 2021-02-28 at 4.08.13 PM.png
    Last edited by Rhino7200; 02-28-2021 at 08:00 PM.
    ///M

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to the model specific discussion area
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    If you install the upper spring arm incorrectly, then the spring won't seat right. I don't even remember it being possible to bolt them in backwards. It just plain wouldn't fit.

Did you press in new bushings? It's possible you got the bushing orientation backwards.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3
    Long story short, they were reversed. Fixed, and now all bushings on car are new. Took it to race track last year end of summer for first time. What a great experience.
    ///M