Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA: Check your throttle cable bushing

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan

PSA: Check your throttle cable bushing

Earlier this week I pulled away from the auto parts store into traffic. The car accelerated like normal, then when I lifted off the gas pedal the engine went to idle and wouldn't rev at all. Pushing the pedal did nothing. I coasted to a stop in a neighborhood, popped the hood, and verified that the engine reacted to inputs at the throttle body linkage. Since the problem was between the pedal and the throttle body I assumed the throttle cable might have broken. I called a tow truck. Fortunately it was a cheap local tow.

When I got home I pulled the lower dash cover and inspected the throttle linkage. I found the cable intact but the small rubber bushing in the pedal arm had disintegrated and fallen out. With no bushing holding it, the hook end of the throttle cable became detached from the pedal linkage. The rubber bushing (part# 35411152331) is a $2.50 item. It's easy to replace. This is a small and hidden wear part that I hadn't thought to check before (until it left me stranded). I figured I'd let everyone know. Maybe it saves someone else the hassle of a tow. This is 22+ year old rubber after all... it's gonna be hammered after many years of use. I bought one for my track car too.

Below are photos of the old bushing that broke & fell out and the new one in place in the pedal linkage.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

PSA: Check your throttle cable bushing

That’s on the accelerator pedal linkage? Wow, I haven’t heard about that issue. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for posting the part number, too!

-rb

1995 Avus Blue M3

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Quote Originally Posted by RBNetEngr View Post
    That’s on the accelerator pedal linkage? Wow, I haven’t heard about that issue. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for posting the part number, too!

-rb

1995 Avus Blue M3
    This happened to me as well.

My Cars
    2015 Acura TLX
    This also happened to me! I wish I saw this post before it happened.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    problem is that pedal stop is not adjusted properly so at every WOT bushing has to take all of the pressure of the throttle stop. It also seems that genuine bushing is harder rubber and aftermarket ones are softer rubber that does not last or falls out.

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    Does the bushing go in the top or bottom hole?

My Cars
    2015 Acura TLX
    Quote Originally Posted by Veleno View Post
    Does the bushing go in the top or bottom hole?
    It goes in the bottom hole. The top hole is too small for it. It’s hard to tell but the bottom hole is larger.

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    problem is that pedal stop is not adjusted properly so at every WOT bushing has to take all of the pressure of the throttle stop.
    I can see this being a cause. Will check the linkage and cable system. I haven't messed with the pedal stop or throttle cable tension on this car but maybe a previous owner has.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    problem is that pedal stop is not adjusted properly so at every WOT bushing has to take all of the pressure of the throttle stop. It also seems that genuine bushing is harder rubber and aftermarket ones are softer rubber that does not last or falls out.

In my case the 23 yard old factory bushing crumbled away from the Texas heat. It had nothing to do with the pedal stop.

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    I checked the throttle pedal stop just now and that definitely wasn’t the problem. There’s a tiny amount of slack in the throttle cable when the pedal is fully on the stop. So like E85STI’s bushing mine just dry rotted and fell apart with age.

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    I'll check mine tomorrow after work!
    FCP has them for $2.69
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/Parts/?keywords=35411152331

My Cars
    e36
    What's the emergency fix if it falls apart in the middle of nowhere? Can you zip tie the metal end of the cable to the metal of the pedal and and prevent it popping out until you get a replacement?
    Last edited by importbanana; 11-30-2021 at 10:28 AM.

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by importbanana View Post
    What's the emergency fix if it falls apart in the middle of nowhere? Can you zip tie the metal end of the cable to the metal of the pedal and and prevent it popping out until you get a replacement?
    Yes. Unfortunately I was without zip ties when the bushing broke and a tow truck had already been called. I thought the throttle cable had snapped. While waiting I used the screwdriver in the factory tool set to remove the cover panel under the dash and look around. I found the failed bushing right as the truck pulled up. But you could certainly rig something to keep the cable end in place if it happens.
    Last edited by NoLastName; 11-30-2021 at 11:14 AM.

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    Did the pedal feel "loose" or without tension when it happened?
    Makes me think I should keep some zip ties in the car in case of any emergency! Good idea importbanana!

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    Did the pedal feel "loose" or without tension when it happened?
    There's a return spring in the pedal linkage so the pedal still returns and feels roughly normal even when the cable isn't attached.
    Last edited by NoLastName; 12-01-2021 at 11:20 AM.

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLastName View Post
    There's a return spring in the pedal linkage so the pedal still returns and feels roughly normal even when the cable isn't attached.
    Thanks for clarifying.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    My throttle had been feeling a slight bit sloppy recently upon initial application when starting off and when reapplying the throttle after a shift, so I took a look at it today. There wasn't much left of the bushing, just a few pieces of sticky, crumbling rubber. The arm where the bushing fits is a bit different than the OP's, one hole instead of two, but installing the new one was a snap...the worst part was refitting the finicky under panel.

I had ordered the bushing from FCP Euro back in February when I first came across this thread. When it arrived I placed it in a safe place so I could easily locate it when it was needed. At the beginning of this month I decided to swap out the bushing, but after looking high and low couldn't find the new one, so I ordered a replacement. This is the kind of stuff you deal with when you're 79 years old, just happy that I can still change oil and fix the easy to get to small stuff...
    Last edited by Gene V; 12-20-2021 at 10:55 PM.
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    I'll check mine tomorrow after work!
    FCP has them for $2.69
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/Parts/?keywords=35411152331
    It appears FCP has increased their price to $3.19

Bimmerworld $2.69
    https://www.bimmerworld.com/ssearch....ry=35411152331

ECS $2.24
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/35411152331/

Checked mine today and there's nothing left. Time to order a bunch to have some spares on hand!

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    Price may be up, but check the shipping cost...FCP usually beats the others.
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene V View Post
    Price may be up, but check the shipping cost...FCP usually beats the others.
    Yeah I checked that too. It was cheaper through ECS for me.

My Cars
    e36
    Today I replaced mine. Old one didn't look like it was about to fail but still good to replace it.
    Last edited by importbanana; 01-04-2022 at 01:44 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3
    If you have a local dealer it might be worth a check with their parts department. Last year when mine failed 35-41-1-152-331 was $2.27 + sales tax and I was able to pick it up next day.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by importbanana View Post
    So, this happened to me last week as I was leaving COTA after participating in a BMW M Track Days event. I didn’t have anything available to temporarily fix it, but I searched around and found a discarded heavy wire cable (Nite Ize rubber twist tie) and my son had it installed in a few minutes and we were on our way.

I bought a new bushing from the local BMW dealer. They wanted to charge me over $6 for it, but when I showed them my BMWCCA membership card the price dropped to $2.24, including tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i

My Cars
    E36 M3, W204 C63, etc et
    I might have to check mine out. I couldnt tell where it was from the pic but looked up Z3 pedal bushings on youtube and came across this in case anyone else is a more visual person
    https://youtu.be/m7_05tR8TYA?t=615

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast