Thread: Found a functional Bluetooth upgrade device for E61/E60

My Cars
    1987 M6

Found a functional Bluetooth upgrade device for E61/E60

Hey peoples,

I have been trying to upgrade the stereo in our 2006 530XI so that phones can connect for music/nav. use. I have tried two options that did not work, but I finally found something that works and want to share my TRIUMPH!

Our E61 came with CCC bluetooth, and it works OK. Some phones are able to sync. for making calls, some can't. However, while the system has a CD-changer, it has no aux. input jack. On top of that, it also has the premium sound system running the optical (MOST) amp. That is really the core problem. You can't just change the amp easily, adding the aux. requires re-coding (if it can even be done with the optical system) and converting to a CIC system that can be properly programmed is thousands to install.

The ideal upgrade is a simple device that just lets you use your phone for music/navigation, doesn't require a revolutionary change in your sound system setup, and does not require re-programming. I finally found something that works "good enough".

The Mr 12Volt bluetooth adapter listed below is $190, was super easy to install, and got me to where I wanted to be.

https://mr12v.com/the-products/ols/products/bluetooth-handsfree-adapter-for-audi-mmi-2g-high-19bbf62f-65b2-47ff-838b-3c79ef10c4bd

The one caveat is that you must have the CD-changer already enabled, AND you have to sacrifice said changer. We do have a very big library of CD's, and have used the changer in the past, but since shifting to digital music services, our household uses CD's only occasionally. The same 6 CD's have been in the changer for over a year, and once the adapter was installed we would still get to keep the in-dash CD player. If the only sacrifice was the multi-disc capability, then losing the changer would be OK.

The Mr 12Volt site has links to videos of installation, but I can summarize quickly. NO disassembly of your dash is required.
    1.) You take out the changer, then separate the optical connector from the main plug.
    2.) You use one of the adapters from the provided cables, and connect the optical ends into the Mr 12Volt unit
    3.) The Mr 12Volt units gets power by attaching two vampire taps onto the existing CD changer power and ground wires.
    4.) Install the included microphone and wired 1/8" aux input cables. I have the microphone attached to the light sensor above the rear view mirror, and the aux line just hanging out the bottom, left corner of the glove box.
    5.) Set the dip switches for your model of car, and turn switch #4 on, so that bluetooth will connect

At this point you just turn on the car, and use the original controls to try and play your CD changer. You will see that only CD1, and CD6 are possible to choose from. Your phone will see the Mr 12Volt as "Car kit", and will operate as CD1. If it doesn't play, I find that shifting to CD6 seems to refresh the connection. Once I select CD6, the display then kicks back over to CD1, and the phone music, and navigation sounds play as expected.

The iDrive still works normally, system alert chimes are heard, manual volume works, and steering wheel controls still operate volume, track, mute, band, and phone call functions. The one thing we do miss is the sync. of the phone book to the car. My wife would regularly use the iDrive to search the calls or phone book and make calls, although we never used the voice dial because it was unreliable. To dial, I installed a phone mount that keeps it in reach, so that we can just voice dial on the phone. The call then uses the Mr 12Volt mic. and car audio. I am very pleased to report that the new mic. is clear and reliable. The end result is not perfect, but the A2DP sound is great, and the price cannot be beat. I highly recommend using the Mr 12Volt if you have the same factory system we do.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    2007 530xi 6 spd.manual
    I installed this in my 2007 530xi years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Sure-Electron.../dp/B00HFG8G7Q

It doesn't interfere with receiving phone calls and no messing with the CD changer. It is easy to install in the console just tapping off of the cigarette lighter.
    2007 530xi, Black Metallic Sapphire, 6 speed manual, Sport package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Sirius Satellite Radio, MTech front bumper, Replica Style 166 wheels

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    ^^^The Amazon fix requires an aux-in the OP doesn't have.
    There are several DIY's for coding the CCC for the aux-in though. With the aux-in you can use the above or any of the USB-BT-adapters. I'd rather have the BT receiver near the phone rather than in the trunk.

https://www.amazon.com/QOFOWIN-Bluet...6TBTQGB1MNEEZ9

My Cars
    2007 530xi 6 spd.manual
    The link you provided requires a USB port which the OP also doesn't have. The Sure board can also be installed behind the glove box and tap directly into the speaker wires. Not as easy, but doable.
    2007 530xi, Black Metallic Sapphire, 6 speed manual, Sport package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Sirius Satellite Radio, MTech front bumper, Replica Style 166 wheels

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    The USB port is only for power. There is no communication thru this port. I use this on (4) cars to stream Waze, Sirius, phone tunes and Pandora thru the aux-in to the factory stereo.
    Last edited by pshovest; 02-27-2021 at 05:46 PM.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I actually bought the aux adapter connector for $15 and tried doing a re-code to enable the aux. input, before tearing apart the dash to install the connector in the harness, and mount the 1/8" jack. When I tried to do the re-code, I had problems getting INPA to recognize the car build, and I cannot find anyone local who can help me with programming. Any aux. input solution does not allow for using the steering wheel controls. In my 1987 M6, I use a nice BT controller puck with aux. output that does line input to the stereo. With that unit I have control of the phone volume and advance tracks. I think that is the best kind of solution if you have an aux. in.

Yeah, there are cheaper solutions, but they are not fully integrated to use the iDrive, and steering wheel controls. Short of a CIC upgrade, I think the Mr 12Volt is the best solution out there right now for adding A2DP audio to a CCC system with a changer.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 02-28-2021 at 04:30 AM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    '07 530xi, '10 535i
    I have the same device in my D3 A8, really happy with it.

My Cars
    '07 525xi
    I went a super simple and inexpensive route.
    I got an Alutatek Bluetooth receiver from Best Buy and mounted it behind the center console. Easy peasy.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alurate...?skuId=6581843

*Edit* Just caught the part about no aux port, my bad. Still a good setup for Bluetooth streaming with those of us with an aux port.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bronson75; 03-02-2021 at 05:40 PM.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    This is the kind of adapter I think is the best option if you have a working aux. port.

ec14db4e-e491-4d0c-a5ce-36b5a797acbf._CR0,0,1940,600_PT0_SX970__.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Microphone-Cancellation/dp/B0769DXZTV/ref=sr_1_36?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+car+adapte r&qid=1614807230&sr=8-36

The mic in the controller puck gives great hands-free performance, and it operates the music functions of your phone.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    2007 530xi 6 spd.manual
    'Cept it's got a wire.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Yes, there needs to be a wire from the BT controller to your stereo. There are a few tiny, battery powered units that just connect to the aux. port, but they have to be separately recharged. The wire for the puck was easy to run/tuck-in on the two cars I have it installed on. Super happy with it.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    '07 525xi
    Last edited by bronson75; 03-04-2021 at 01:15 AM.

My Cars
    '07 525xi
    At that point, you may as well plug your phone into directly into the aux port. One of the reasons I like the setup I posted above is the receiver is mounted out of sight. 12v are easily accessible, and if I'm not charging my phone, I have zero wires on the dash.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I understand not wanting any wires at all on the dash.

It doesn't bother me to have one permanently mounted puck somewhere within easy reach. Still lets the phone be wireless in a mount anywhere you want it, and no wires on the phone.

On my daughter's Mini, the dash has deep channels molded in. I tucked the wire into the channels, and it is held solid. On my 87 M6, the puck is on the lower dash, so you don't even notice the wire against the black, plastic dash pieces.

The Mr 12Volt is totally wireless, and has been reliable so far. Still very happy with it.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 03-05-2021 at 04:25 PM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    '07 525xi
    I added a 90* USB wire to lower the profile of my setup even more.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Very nice and tidy.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    BMW E61
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Looks like I can even install this in my bmw haha (really love my car but got two left hands when we're talking about this kind of things )

My bmw does not have factory bluetooth, nor aux. It looks like this is a great solution to add bluetooth with carkit possibility without too much hassle.

Just wondering: Does the car "remember" the last setting and does your phone automatically connect? Or do you need to put it on bluetooth (cd-changer I think I've read), manually connect my phone after and can I finally start music then?

Thanks again!

My Cars
    2007 550i
    I did this.
    0321211520.jpg
    0321211520c.jpg

If you don't have aux you need to get it enabled. If you have an indy mechanic who works on your car and can reset your battery he can enable aux for you (and disable seatbelt warning chim and idrive distraction disclaimer and 155mlh limiter. Learning to send codes to this car is awesome and worth learning how)

But once aux is enabled you can literally splice any headphone cable cut in half onto 3 pins of the back of your radio (L/R/Gnd). Its super easy, there is no reason to buy the oem aux port total waste of money
    Last edited by ignignot; 03-21-2021 at 04:16 PM.

My Cars
    '07 525xi
    Quote Originally Posted by ignignot View Post
    I did this.
    0321211520.jpg
    0321211520c.jpg

If you don't have aux you need to get it enabled. If you have an indy mechanic who works on your car and can reset your battery he can enable aux for you (and disable seatbelt warning chim and idrive distraction disclaimer and 155mlh limiter. Learning to send codes to this car is awesome and worth learning how)

But once aux is enabled you can literally splice any headphone cable cut in half onto 3 pins of the back of your radio (L/R/Gnd). Its super easy, there is no reason to buy the oem aux port total waste of money
    That's pretty badass.
    I like that better than my setup.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Hi Livonias,

The Mr12Volt will remember your phone (we have two connected so far), and it will stay on the changer and pick back up where you stopped most of the time. Other times, I need to switch the tuner to the CD changer, and select CD6. Then it plays whatever is coming from the phone again. The iDrive alerts and other alarm chimes (like the low temp) will still play over the factory system too. I sure with someone could make a bluetooth backup camera that talks to your phone. That would be a pretty cool way to add that function without needing to wire anything into your stock system.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 03-23-2021 at 07:29 PM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!