Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really need your guys knowledge (interior lights)

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    If he gets fired it will be his problem, not yours. If her can't be trusted not to cause damage to customer cars, he shouldn't be anywhere near them. As others have said, those knobs are really difficult to pull off, so he must have really gone at it. Think of it this way - maybe he damaged other cars in the past but the owners didn't want to make a fuss, and because of that he was able to damage your car.
    Thank you so much. I never want to get anyone in trouble but my mom said the same thing you did. I think it was a fluke accident but still you dont want to leave a tire shop with $407 (plus tax) of parts damage and that is with me doing the labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Agreed--you wouldn't want the guy getting fired over making a mistake, and your shop wouldn't fire him over making a mistake--in that business they wouldn't have any employees left if they fired each one who made a mistake--it's the norm. But he didn't make a mistake--he attacked your car in a outburst of anger over a minor frustration. This guy is in the wrong field for making violent outbursts over minor frustrations and should not be allowed in or around customer cars. They should fire him--in any event, they need to know this is happening and to understand that this wasn't an accident--pulling that knob is a challenge not an accident.
    Thank you that makes me feel better. I was still very upset (but calm) when I spoke with their manager Raul today. Raul could not have been nicer and more professional. He said if they broke it they will pay but they cant be responsible if it happened after I left. I had some good luck though.

1. The car was still 1 foot outside their bays. I never even started it before calling them over.

2. He said they have cameras in every bay to see everything and would check the tape.

3. The most important thing is I had my top down so they could see inside.

After looking at the tape Raul saw the guy having issues with the stick shift. He had me fill out a form for their insurance company. He said I should hear from them on Monday or Tuesday. I'm first starting to calm down now but I'm pleased that Raul accepted responsibility and handled it so professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    You have to take the knob off (deep socket for the nut, then unscrew it off of the shaft), then pull the screw out at the top, then take off the vent, which will fight you, but it does come off. Once you have the vent housing popped loose use a long narrow screwdriver to release the latches on each side holding the headlight switch, then take the vent housing off completely. There's enough slack in the cable to get the switch out, disconnect the harness plug, connect it to the new switch, and tuck it back behind the dash. You have to get the vent back in to position, then pull the headlight switch into the vent housing until it latches in place. The only thing I struggled with was getting the new switch latched into the cover; finally found that if I pulled the shaft out (turned the headlights on) I could get it through the hole, then carefully grab it with pliers and pull it into position. Then put the vent all the way back in, install the screw at the top, screw on the knob and the nut, put back on the outer knob, and you're done.
    Marty
    Thanks again Marty. Once the insurance company makes arrangements to pay for the dimmer switch and the new knob I will install them. It doesn't seem like a hard job.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    I think it's laudable that you don't want to see this person fired over this but the fact is, that shop damaged your car and should be accountable. The fact that you are willing to do the job yourself and want only to be reimbursed for parts is already generous on your part. You could insist that it be repaired by a BMW dealer after all. People need to be held accountable for their actions or they will have no incentive to do a good job. That's just my opinion and of course it is really none of my business how you decide to handle this.

I found this product, liquid electrical tape to be very good when needing to insulate wires where regular electrical would not work. In fact, I sometimes prefer it to actual tape as it won't unravel.

'sorry to hear of your ordeal. Good luck with the repair.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
    I think it's laudable that you don't want to see this person fired over this but the fact is, that shop damaged your car and should be accountable. The fact that you are willing to do the job yourself and want only to be reimbursed for parts is already generous on your part. You could insist that it be repaired by a BMW dealer after all. People need to be held accountable for their actions or they will have no incentive to do a good job. That's just my opinion and of course it is really none of my business how you decide to handle this.

I found this product, liquid electrical tape to be very good when needing to insulate wires where regular electrical would not work. In fact, I sometimes prefer it to actual tape as it won't unravel.

'sorry to hear of your ordeal. Good luck with the repair.

Thank you so much. You guys have been great and made me feel a lot better about the situation. I just would never want someone to lose a job. I think of their possible kids. The insurance company may ask me to take it somewhere else to get the job done. If they do I will do that but after this incident I would rather do the labor myself. Now I would rather nobody touch my cars again.

My Cars
    z3
    Shops should absolutely be accountable for damage done to your vehicle while at the shop and you should not feel bad for anything except for that fact that they damaged your car.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    Thank you so much. You guys have been great and made me feel a lot better about the situation. I just would never want someone to lose a job. I think of their possible kids. The insurance company may ask me to take it somewhere else to get the job done. If they do I will do that but after this incident I would rather do the labor myself. Now I would rather nobody touch my cars again.
    I get you 100% on this one had an experience with supposed mechanics and i ended up fixing their mistakes and seeing what they said they replace but did not. Had ball joints with 1/4" play and steering knuckles hitting a arms....oh thats normal they say...... Okay buddy

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Shops should absolutely be accountable for damage done to your vehicle while at the shop and you should not feel bad for anything except for that fact that they damaged your car.
    Thank you. That makes me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead97 View Post
    I get you 100% on this one had an experience with supposed mechanics and i ended up fixing their mistakes and seeing what they said they replace but did not. Had ball joints with 1/4" play and steering knuckles hitting a arms....oh thats normal they say...... Okay buddy
    Yeah I was just explaining to a relative the last thing I want after this incident is somebody else touching my car. The whole job was done. If he would have let me back the car out the bay this would not have happened but I guess that is against their policy. Probably all happened in the last 20-60 seconds of them having the car. UGH

- - - Updated - - -

By the way this board is so amazing. I got home yesterday and came right to this board with my issue. You guys got me the answers I needed so fast. You guys are really great!

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I get it. To me it entirely depends on the attitude and willingness of the shop to make things right. Would you have to replace the headlight switch and knob eventually anyways? Probably, some day. If they cover a good bit or make it right some other way (I dunno, free oil or lifetime tire balances), I'd be down to work with them. If they're a bag of $@&!s about it, they're paying.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    1. The car was still 1 foot outside their bays. I never even started it before calling them over.

2. He said they have cameras in every bay to see everything and would check the tape.

3. The most important thing is I had my top down so they could see inside.
    Salient detail: OP lives somewhere he can drive top down in February and leave it top down at the shop. His bio location says USA but I have my doubts--this year--where is this mythical location?

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Salient detail: OP lives somewhere he can drive top down in February and leave it top down at the shop. His bio location says USA but I have my doubts--this year--where is this mythical location?
    LOL it will be in the upper 80's here today. 67 is the low. 88 is the high.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    There are places in the US that don't experience "winter"; South Florida. Last week when everyone was freezing in Texas, we were in the mid to upper 80's for the whole week.
    -Donny

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    There are places in the US that don't experience "winter"; South Florida. Last week when everyone was freezing in Texas, we were in the mid to upper 80's for the whole week.
    -Donny
    Shush!!!

My Cars
    N/A
    Thought it was a known issue that the lit shiftknobs in the M cars would just pull off? I recall mine doing that and just switching to the zhp unlit one.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by workhurts View Post
    Thought it was a known issue that the lit shiftknobs in the M cars would just pull off? I recall mine doing that and just switching to the zhp unlit one.
    ZHP unlit one? I'm not familiar with that one.

My Cars
    N/A
    Cept there’s a 5 speed also.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Check on the Leather Z website, he sells them. They are a slightly shorter (lower) weighted shift knob that a lot of us consider an upgrade. His site also explains about the two different types of connectors for the internal light that you need to be aware of when you order one.

Marty

My Cars
    z3
    The standard ZHP knob was unlit. Unlit 5 speed ZHP is part # 25117896031

The illuminated "ZHP" knobs were technically not from a ZHP. The only model I know that got the ZHP style illuminated shift knob was the F10 M5 and it comes with a shift boot attached. To the best of my knowledge, BMW does not manufacture an illuminated ZHP style 5 speed shift knob - or sell the 6 speed shift knob without the boot attached.

LeatherZ does sell a modified ZHP 5 speed that is illuminated

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by workhurts View Post
    Cept there’s a 5 speed also.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    Check on the Leather Z website, he sells them. They are a slightly shorter (lower) weighted shift knob that a lot of us consider an upgrade. His site also explains about the two different types of connectors for the internal light that you need to be aware of when you order one.

Marty
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The standard ZHP knob was unlit. Unlit 5 speed ZHP is part # 25117896031

The illuminated "ZHP" knobs were technically not from a ZHP. The only model I know that got the ZHP style illuminated shift knob was the F10 M5 and it comes with a shift boot attached. To the best of my knowledge, BMW does not manufacture an illuminated ZHP style 5 speed shift knob - or sell the 6 speed shift knob without the boot attached.

LeatherZ does sell a modified ZHP 5 speed that is illuminated

I usually like to stay stock to the car but those are very nice. I will have to think about it. Thanks guys!

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I just spoke to the tire shops insurance company. They were very nice. They asked what happened. He asked if I took it to a shop. I let them know I could take it to BMW but that would probably double the cost to them from the labor. I told him I would be happy to put in the parts myself. I'm going to send them a link to the parts. He was very professional and polite. I think it should all work out fine.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    I always say, anyone can make a mistake. It's how you deal with it that's important. I'm glad the shop seems to be trying to make good.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I just wanted to update you guys. The insurance company today emailed me saying they will send a check for the two parts in 7-10 business days. It will be nice to be able to drive after dark again Thanks for all your help! Now I just have to install them.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Boom. New tires, shift knob and a headlight switch. Glad it all worked out. Take your time installing the new parts, especially the switch. It is possible to load it in the vent and install it all at once, but it's a tight fit while concentrating on not breaking off the dash tab.

Pro tip on removal: pop out the dash defrost vent to help get some leverage on pushing the old vent/switch out. Just remember that there's a duct that connects to the dash vent and its outlet further back towards the firewall. It'll make more sense when you're there. Also, if your bulb doesn't work (the one below the knob), this is the time to replace that also.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_0671

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-osram-sy...217167000~osr/

https://www.amazon.com/Automobile-Da...5318620&sr=8-7
    Last edited by s8ilver; 03-09-2021 at 02:37 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Boom. New tires, shift knob and a headlight switch. Glad it all worked out. Take your time installing the new parts, especially the switch. It is possible to load it in the vent and install it all at once, but it's a tight fit while concentrating on not breaking off the dash tab.

Pro tip on removal: pop out the dash defrost vent to help get some leverage on pushing the old vent/switch out. Just remember that there's a duct that connects to the dash vent and its outlet further back towards the firewall. It'll make more sense when you're there. Also, if your bulb doesn't work (the one below the knob), this is the time to replace that also.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_0671

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-osram-sy...217167000~osr/

https://www.amazon.com/Automobile-Da...5318620&sr=8-7
    Thanks for the information Nathan. Obviously the shift knob is easy but I will definitely take my time doing that headlight dimmer switch as you advised. What a crazy situation. Its a shame because as I mentioned previously it probably all happened in the last 30 seconds as the guy was attempting to back the car out after the tire job was already finished. They also chipped the paint on one of my wheels near one of the wheel caps. I will have to touch that up.
    Last edited by Kram71; 03-09-2021 at 02:50 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Link to headlight dimmer switch removal.

https://sites.google.com/site/turbo1...eadlightswitch

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by delvec View Post
    Link to headlight dimmer switch removal.

https://sites.google.com/site/turbo1...eadlightswitch
    Thanks Del!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12