Thread: 8-channel amplifier for Hi-Fi E34

My Cars
    '95 M5 E34 Touring

8-channel amplifier for Hi-Fi E34

Long time lurker who recently bought a green Touring here.

I'm thinking about upgrading an amp that came with the car (has 10 speakers but what looks like standard stereo amp) and was particularly interested in Helix V Eight DSP MK2 from Audiotech-Fischer, as I had their amp in my E90 and it totally transformed the stock Professional system (676). The thing is, the amp is an 8-channel amplifier with 10 DSP channels, so I thought that would be great to compensate for the lack of crossovers, but it does not have enough channels. Am I right, do I need ten? Is there some workaround besides going for 12-channel model or active crossover setup? I'm totally lost on these topics, electricity is still a mystery to me.

Local shop who sells this amp told me that my system is fact an 8-channel system from looking at the Hi-Fi schematics from RealOEM. I assume they thought so because there are actually no cables going towards tweeters on that scheme? So they told me that the amplifier would work with Hi-Fi system after some wiring, but they advise to change the speakers b/c the new amp might fry the old ones. I've never heard of this and many people on this forum said that original Nokias can handle some power. Well, they are a shop and they like to sell stuff I guess.

So any opinions on this particular amp or a similar 1 box solutions around would be greatly appreactiated

My Cars
    '95 M5 E34 Touring
    Just realised my old E90 with Hi-Fi option 676 had 10 speakers as well - 2 tweeters + 2 mids + 2 underseat woofers front and 2 mids + 2 tweeters at the back, and it was powered by a 7-channel amp (BMW MATCH 7) as a plug-and-play solution. So in theory this could work?
    Last edited by Shachlo; 02-24-2021 at 05:40 PM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    You're starting in the "middle": start by making sure that the head unit signal will be compatible with what you are feeding it to - I highly doubt it will be compatible.

My Cars
    '95 M5 E34 Touring
    I forgot to mention -- I have an aftermarket head unit, Blaupunkt SQR46

My Cars
    '89 535i/5, '88 735i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shachlo View Post
    I forgot to mention -- I have an aftermarket head unit, Blaupunkt SQR46
    That's a very nice head unit. A bit pricey but very nice

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    I run an Infinity 1000w (400w rms) 4 channel amp, to 4 3-way crossovers. One for front left, front right, rear left rear right. Mine is a sedan obviously, but you have space in the wheel well coverings for amps/crossovers. I was a bit hesitant to do the work, but once I started it was actually quite simple.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    '95 M5 E34 Touring
    Thanks for replies, after some research I've done last night I think I'm going to go with 6-channel amp with DSP paired with 4 pairs of components w/ crossovers, the last two channels will go to front mids

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by theBMWbeast View Post
    I run an Infinity 1000w (400w rms) 4 channel amp, to 4 3-way crossovers. One for front left, front right, rear left rear right. Mine is a sedan obviously, but you have space in the wheel well coverings for amps/crossovers. I was a bit hesitant to do the work, but once I started it was actually quite simple.

That's so clean, I wish I knew how to do the same! One day...

"Big Red" 9/88 Build 535i/5: E.A.T. Chip, 24lb Bosch Design III, 3.46 LSD, 4x Clear corners, DINAN-style 750i muffler, Racing King Subframe Inserts, Koni/Vogtland suspension, E34 M5 swaybars, Brembo/Porterfield brakes, Turbodiesel grills, 16" Style 8 rims, Euro front plate, M5 rear filler plate.
    Save
    Save

My Cars
    92 735iL (12/1991)
    I'm an OE purist but I admit that's a very clean set up.
    Is that a spare Hella crank position sensor?

90,700 miles 1992 BMW 735iL Azure Blue Metallic with Silver Grey leather interior ‣My car ‣My YouTube channel

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Thanks! It's easy with a soldering iron and some heatshrink, truly. Good eye Cactuar, I always keep a spare along with a box of fuses.

I like OEM looking things too, so my biggest point was having the setup completely hidden with the trunk carpet down. My aftermarket headunit is the continental unit everyone runs, I think it looks pretty correct, still need to install the ring hue orange leds.

Shachlo, good move on the setup. Should work just fine.

O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    '89 535i/5, '88 735i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by theBMWbeast View Post
    still need to install the ring hue orange leds.
    Will that change the color of the back-light to a more red hue? I've been interested with this head unit but hesitant because of the orange back-lighting.

My Cars
    E34 540ia
    I wanted to keep everything stock looking so kept radio head that had the factory five cd changer in trunk .... I found that the ten speaker system were in great condition and sound great ..... very well balanced .... I replace the AMP with a Alpine Amp S-A32F ($173) ...... connected the ten speakers through couple 2 Way plus couple 3 Way Crossover Audiopipe model CRX-203 and CRX-303 ($62) .... got some 0 gauge with compression connectors, reducers and fuse ($90) ..... couple BOSS Isolators ($18) ..... sound really great, better than original stock set up .....

Was able to fit the AMP on to the original AMP mounting plate with a little mod .... tight custom fit and there was a lot of room along the side next to factory AMP location to mount the row of cross overs on a plexi glass and slip into the side ..... attaching the whole assembly with zip ties .... nicely tucked into that space .....

Very happy with the out come ..... and even happier to have music again .... 😂🤣
    Last edited by E34 Lives; 05-07-2021 at 01:01 AM.