Thread: Fuse Block, With list of locations

My Cars
    540i Xdrive

Fuse Block, With list of locations

I just took delivery of a 2018 540i xdrive. Strange thing none of the Cigarette lighter power outlets work. That includes the one between the cups the one in the consul and the two rear seat passenger ones as well as the one it the trunk.

I know the fuse block is in the trunk on the right side but I cannot find a description of the location of the fuses.

So I am looking for a link to the description of the fuse block. And if anyone has had this problem how did you correct it.

Thanks
    JayBar

My Cars
    540i Xdrive
    I find this difficult to understand. I got 37 views on my post and not one reply. Hasn't anyone ever needed to identify a fuse?

My Cars
    540i Xdrive
    Ok 76 views and no replies. I kept looking for the answer.So if anyone who may have the same problem here is the answer.
    I searched this forum, then in Youtube got an answer there. So for any others who have a fuse question, here is what I found.
    A diagram of the fuse block locations and fuses that go in each slot is located on a piece of paper folded up and stuck in the fuse block located in the trunk.

That's the good news. The bad news is the diagram is not exactly correct.

My problem is the cigarette lighter fuses are all out. The diagram shows a lists of subjects or categories via icons not names. Then the location of the fuse via a number slot. Then you can refer to the slot number and it tells the amperage of the fuse.

So mine lists three fused for the lighters. Two in the rear fuse block and one in the front block behind the glove compartment. I found the first referenced fuse location a 20 amp fuse (yellow) I pulled it and it was blown so I replaced it. The second number on the same block did not exist. In fact the whole row of fuses did not exist on that fuse block.

Moved on to the front block behind the glove box. Not easy to get to. I still have to figure out whats happening. The block is upside down. Hard to figure out which is which.
    Will complete in the daylight hopefully it will work out.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Usually when a fuse location is empty...it means that you don’t have the feature that powers it (if a previous owner is not the culprit of removing it and not replacing it). Unless you have every option that is possible...you will not have every fuse that is listed on the fuse diagram/index. You will have fuses for the options & features the car has.

And as you’ve seemed to figure out...the sheet you found should shows the position of each fuse number along with its amperage etc. (as you’ve already mentioned). Another tip (for help with identifying what the icons are for)...the icons are replicated on buttons and switches around the car...as well as in the owners manual.

For the front fuse box and the fuse number locations...use the amperage to help determine the fuse numbers & locations. All the fuses of the same amperage are the same color. So if fuse #10 is 20 amps and it’s green...then that can help you determine the layout of fuses along with the index sheet’s diagram.

Example for the f06/f12/f13 fuse index sheet (for those that haven’t located theirs yet):

Attached Images Attached Images
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Again, the number of fuses you have for the 12 volt sockets depends on how the vehicle is optioned/configured. Below are some examples of multiple 12 volt socket locations that may or may not be available for your build. Some of the fuse or 12 volt sockets are designated for USB use...again, you may not have all of the USB locations utilized yet they will still be listed on the fuse diagram/index for those cars that are optioned with them:

Fuse # 253: X98 / X105 / X104 / X103

Fuse #50: X17

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-24-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    540i Xdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Again, the number of fuses you have for the 12 volt sockets depends on how the vehicle is optioned/configured. Below are some examples of multiple 12 volt socket locations that may or may not be available for your build. Some of the fuse or 12 volt sockets are designated for USB use...again, you may not have all of the USB locations utilized yet they will still be listed on the fuse diagram/index for those cars that are optioned with them:

Fuse # 253: X98 / X105 / X104 / X103

Fuse #50: X17

Thanks for the detailed report. By replaces the two fuses I could find I got all 5 of my sockets to operate.
    Since you know about sockets etc. I was wondering. If I want. to put a trickle charger on the car when I am away could I use the rear socket (the one next to the fuse block) I assume it is hot when the key is off. Think that would be a good way to keep both batteries charged or should I use the "jump start" lugs under the hood?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybar View Post
    ... I was wondering. If I want. to put a trickle charger on the car when I am away could I use the rear socket (the one next to the fuse block) I assume it is hot when the key is off. Think that would be a good way to keep both batteries charged or should I use the "jump start" lugs under the hood?
    When jumping or trickle charging the car’s battery...ALWAYS use the dedicated jump start terminals in the engine bay. If you use the 12 volt sockets...they eventually power down...thus leaving your battery uncharged. And if you hook up directly to the battery (when it is installed)...you are bypassing the IBS (intelligent battery sensor)...which can cause the check control system to display warnings due to the IBS is interpreting the change in the battery’s power supply as an issue.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-10-2021 at 07:28 PM.