Thread: Rear View Mirror Wiring.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv

Question Rear View Mirror Wiring.

Hello All.

I have removed my Rear View Mirror to replace it with a Mirror with Dashcam. Front Rear recording etc.
    The Plug for the original mirror has 9 Wires going to it on a 10 pin plug.
    Now we know what 4 wires do i think.
    mirror wiring.jpg
    But there is 9 Wires Up there.

Mirror Wires Real.jpg

They don't seem to match what the diagram says.
    Does Anyone Know what they all do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OzDrDj; 02-19-2021 at 12:36 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    Found this on another forumn, but it makes no sense to me at all.

Pin 1 - BL/GE from Gearbox Reversing Switch to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)

Pin 2 - RT/GN from Fuse 7 to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 3 - VI/WS from Fuse 43 to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 4 - WS/VI from Diagnostic Link (Transmit) to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 5 - WT/RE/GE from ZKE unit Pin 17 to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 6 - BL/RE/GE from ZKE unit Pin 4 to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 7 - BR/RT/GE from ZKE unit Pin 1 to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 8 - WS/GE from Diagnostic Link (Receive) to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 9 - Not Used
    Pin 10 - BR/OR from Earth to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Last edited by OzDrDj; 02-19-2021 at 08:35 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    Quote Originally Posted by OzDrDj View Post
    Found this on another forumn, but it makes no sense to me at all.

Pin 1 - BL/GE from Gearbox Reversing Switch to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)

Pin 2 - RT/GN from Fuse 7 to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 3 - VI/WS from Fuse 43 to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 4 - WS/VI from Diagnostic Link (Transmit) to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 5 - WT/RE/GE from ZKE unit Pin 17 to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 6 - BL/RE/GE from ZKE unit Pin 4 to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 7 - BR/RT/GE from ZKE unit Pin 1 to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 8 - WS/GE from Diagnostic Link (Receive) to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    Pin 9 - Not Used
    Pin 10 - BR/OR from Earth to Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)
    addendum : The factory harness wires on the E36 are Violet/White (IGN), Brown/Orange (GND) and Blue/Yellow (Reverse, active high). Maybe. Off to check everything with Multimeter now.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    Ok, I've Got It Now. (I Think, Please correct me If you know I'm Wrong)
    The Definitive Guide to E36 Mirror Wiring (328iC Australia)
    mirror wiring col.jpg
    I hope that can help some people. By the Way, I don't know what a ZKU unit is (AKA ZKE), but its the only thing I can find connected to these wires, seems to be the body control module. Cheers All
    Last edited by OzDrDj; 02-21-2021 at 10:07 PM.

My Cars
    1994 320i Coupe
    Hiya - Just ripped out all the cabling to my rear mirror since I'm replacing it with the normal, non-electronic mirror and wanted to say that that's usually for the central locking (ZKE). The ZKE is the Body Control Module and is used for the central locking system in the car, or from what I see when reverse searching the car part number. I'm guessing the other four are for the dimmer on the mirror but have no idea. What the hell are the Gearbox reverse switch, Diagnostic link to Radio remote control adn etc doing at the mirror? Beats me...

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    You may or may not have the "Radio Remote Control Unit (A194Y)". This the EU remote control (keyless entry) control unit, which resides inside the rearview mirror.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost129er View Post
    Hiya - Just ripped out all the cabling to my rear mirror since I'm replacing it with the normal, non-electronic mirror and wanted to say that that's usually for the central locking (ZKE). The ZKE is the Body Control Module and is used for the central locking system in the car, or from what I see when reverse searching the car part number. I'm guessing the other four are for the dimmer on the mirror but have no idea. What the hell are the Gearbox reverse switch, Diagnostic link to Radio remote control adn etc doing at the mirror? Beats me...
    The 'EU' remote control module is inside the mirror if you have that option (and when available in ones market). This module is fully diagnosable, that's why it has a diagnostics link (actually it has both RxD and TxD as it need ADS to access). It also stores what keys are active/inactive.
    The gearbox reverse switch is to send +12v to pin1, as this will fully undimm the mirror when reverse is selected. No need to explain why. The other connections are the +12v to this module (so two +12v feeds, three if you count the +12v reverse signal) Lock and Unlock signal and the interior lights-On signal (with panic mode options, but that's from E46 onwards). That's why the 'Euro' keyfob for the E36 has that lightbulb symbol on the button where on later cars this has a open trunk symbol.
    It communicates between the remote keyfob and ZKE.

ews2key_01.jpg

Strictly taken, you only need ground and (1) +12v to have the dimming function working. And a third wire if you want the reverse gear undimm (which you want).

IG:

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    p.s. in 2010 I upgraded my mirror to a 2006 autodimm/alarm led/digital compass version.

By utilizing the unused pin 9 (panic mode, not available, non-codable) I had the extra pin available I needed to hook up the alarm led. This way I didn't need to lay extra wires that would bypass the 10-pin connector. So it's now a plug and play mirror for my E36 while retaining the remote control and interior lights-on function.

12.jpg

IG:

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    Seems the 3 Other wires, or ZKE wiring is for the Remote Control Unit, that runs the Remote Keys, and Tells the Car, which key it is. So I guess, short of pulling mirros apart and trying to jam that circuit board into the top pillar, my Flash new Dashcam Mirror is coming out today. Rewiring of the 9 pin plug and all sorts of fun and game ensues.
    Moral of the Story, Don't pull the factory mirror Out of the Car unless you Reaaaaaallllllyyyyy Know what you are doing.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    It's not that complicted. I 'jammed' in the remote control board into a 2006+ compass mirror since that mirror has no remote control electronics inside and I wasn't going to put the remote board in some random other spot, that's what I had to do.

But enough space to fit it in the exact same position as stock mirror. Just don't use a mirror with the garage door opener buttons, as the electronics of that take away that space.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    What Ive Done, Is remove the original mirror and replaced it with one with built in dashcam. What I was wondering is if I take the circuit board out of the original mirror, wire it back up and jam it into the space behind the interior light if it fits of course. That aside, I would have to connect the original mirror back up and use the dodgy clips to hold the dashcam mirror over the old one. But that looks horrible.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by OzDrDj View Post
    What Ive Done, Is remove the original mirror and replaced it with one with built in dashcam. What I was wondering is if I take the circuit board out of the original mirror, wire it back up and jam it into the space behind the interior light if it fits of course. That aside, I would have to connect the original mirror back up and use the dodgy clips to hold the dashcam mirror over the old one. But that looks horrible.
    Ah yes. Why not source a second hand mirror? Ebay is all over the place with cheap old E36 mirrors with the electronics inside. Pry open that mirror and then put the remote control stuff somewhere under the dash, near the ZKE for example. You could extend the antenna wire and lay it along the a pillar.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    Ok, So, We are going to try to Fix the Remote system Without removing the New Fancy DashCam mirror.
    First of all we remove (Or have removed) the existing Auto Dimming mirror. Do this by Rotating the mirror 45%, don't pull or push or hit or you'll end up with a broken windscreen like me.
    20210308_130606.jpg
    Then we remove the outer bezel, use a small flat head screwdriver and work your way around to prise it off. Its pretty easy.
    20210308_130728.jpg
    With the outer bezel off the mirror should just about fall out in your hands.
    20210308_130750.jpg
    Now the bit we want to keep our automatic door locking Is that little green circut board, this is only held in with a couple of clips.
    Unclip him and pop him out. Disconnect the 12 Pin plug and we are almost ready to begin rewiring. OMG.

20210308_130812.jpg

The Wiring for this is a 12 Pin Plug, which you can either remove from the mirror and rewire, or if you are like me and want to try and keep the mirror in tact, just in case, You can use some old computer motherboard connectors, Easy enough to find in an old computer case.

20210308_140142.jpg

Now we are ready to begin wiring this into the Car. Well maybe tomorrow. Where do all these wires go you well may ask.
    Well, I have Updated the Mirror Wiring Diagram with a new Version 2.0. Hopefully that will help us all.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    Okay, So, Mirror Wiring Diagram V2.1. I hope someone can get some use from this. I'd hate to think I spent hours making sure this was all correct for nothing, lol.
    BMW Mirror 2.jpg

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    These diagrams already exist from BMW.

Unless you are doing something I don't see. I mean, if you took out the remote control board to put it somewhere else besides another mirror, you just need the ZKE-to-remote control board wiring and +12v/ground.

BMW lists all the connections in their own documentation.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv
    MParallel, This Diagram Might Exist at BMW, But I looked everywhere and couldnt find anything that helped. and trying to do what i have done here there was not much info at all, thats why i am doing this. If someone else is considering a project such as this, im sure this would be a great help.
    Mirror 12.jpg mirror13.jpg mirror14.jpg
    So, Anyway, To finish off the post incase someone cares, as apparently im wasting everyones time. Took the board out of the mirror, wired it up, jamed it in the hole behind the interior light, ran the power out to the new mirror, bolted it on, and there it works.

My Cars
    95 525TDS, 94 525iT
    Is this mainly an issue with Aussie cars? I was trying to get to the same point with mine, and ended up removing the remote module and keeping it separate as well. I managed to make a little subloom similar to yours which just feeds power, ground and reverse signal to my auto-dim mirror, coming off the pigtails of the remote module.