Thread: Turbo flare trimming...

My Cars
    1972 BMW 2002tii

Turbo flare trimming...

Hey all.... I'm in the process of restoring my '72 tii, completely this time. I had it "completely" restored about 6 or 7 years ago, but immediately discovered that not even half of the job was done right. Lesson learned, I'll certainly never be going back to those clowns in Dallas for 2002 work!

Title says it all... my 2002 has turbo flares on it, and the trimming was done poorly during that first attempt at restoration. I'm hoping to get some guidance on how others have done it to optimize the available space in the wheel wells. If anyone has info and/or pictures that might help me out, I'd be very grateful for the advice.

Many thanks...
    Dave

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    Hi Dave,

Try this. It’s a PDF made from a website that’s now gone, but which had one of the best detailed instructions & tips. The small images in the PDF are linked to the Internet Wayback Machine to pull/view the full size pics.

And here’s a BMW 2002 FAQ post (THE best 02 forum) with two useful videos:
    https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/to...omment=1346449

And here’s 2 pics from the Zender Turbo Flares installation instructions (it’s in German, but has key dimensions).

HTH,
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    1972 BMW 2002tii
    Hey Tom,

Many thanks for the assist... those items should help out a lot. I really appreciate it.

Couldn't help noticing that you're here in Colorado as well. I absolutely love your '76 2002 - except for those dining room table bumpers, lol. I think you need to ditch those! I too have had mine for a very long time. In fact, I have numerous collectible cars, but I've owned nothing as long as my '72 tii (2760821). I bought it back in the early 90's and have loved her ever since. There's not many cars that I could remain addicted to for 30+ years. And back in the early days, that 02 was my daily driver to boot. I've got plenty of time and miles in that left seat... yet no less interesting to me.

Nice to be tearing it apart to do correctly this time. I'd also like to hear how you did the "blackout" on your trim and other parts. I intend to go that route as well, but saving all the original pieces so that it could be put back to original with little difficulty. I'm also keeping the original 100% intact/running tii engine and Kugel injection. However, I am going to build a turbo 2.3 for use in the car now. The tii engine was a lot of fun when I lived at sea-level... but just too weak here, and I live at 9000ft. I've got an E30 M3 crank, forged rods, and 8:1 pistons as well as a turbo specific cam grind. Just need to nail down what engine management I will use. Should be a fun project after this bodywork is completed.

Anyway... thanks again for the input... greatly appreciated. Perhaps I'll see you tooling around the Denver area some day!

Take care,
    Dave