Thread: 323i baur restoration problems

My Cars
    e30 323i baur

323i baur restoration problems

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.
    So I had a question and hoped someone could help me out.
    In august I bought this e30 323i baur, 1985. L-jetronic if I'm correct.
    The car was completely dismounted.
    I fixed the whole chassis, everything that's under the car is new and now I'm trying to make the engine run.

First question, I only have one fuel pump and it's outside of the tank. In the fuel tank I have some sort of small filter where in other e30's I sometimes see another pump.
    So i read that you could have or 1 pump in the tank, or one in the tank and one outside of the tank.
    I only have one outside of the tank. Is this normal? can't find any info on that..

Second problem, engine cranks, but when I turn the key, the pump doesn't work. (When I put 12v directly on the pump it works, pump is ok).
    I was thinking the relay, but ofcourse can't find any info on that..
    Most e30's have 3 relays I've seen, an O2, fuel pump and DME relay, where I only have one (nr. 13631714195). (fuse is good)
    I have 12 volts on the '30', mass is good, but I expected 12v on the '15' what isn't there.
    When I make a direct connection between 87b and 30 pump goes as well (electrics to the pump are good).
    Should I be looking for another problem or how does this kind of relay work?

Last but not least no ignition. But haven't looked in to that yet, first wanted to fix the pump problem, but maybe it has something to do with it?
    Hope I did this forum post right, and I hope someone could give some more info since I'm new to E30's!

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    In your transmission bell housing, beneath the driver, is two sensors. One of those is why the pump doesn't come on. That or you are missing the tang on the flywheel that those sensors read
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    e30 323i baur
    I don't think so. There are no sensors in my gearbox (only the reverse) or on the flywheel, cranckshaft sensor could be bad maybe..
    I still have this feeling it's the relay, I'll try to jump it today if I would get a spark..
    My biggest concern was the single pump under the car

My Cars
    yes, the flywheel ones. one of those is normally out of spec and causes the fuel pump not to run. you can check resistance on them though, the plug should be in front of the start for both of them, where they plug into the harness. just check resistance with your multimeter.

that is weird to have only one pump under the car. maybe they took the in-tank pump off and put a check valve pick up and just have a high pressure pump under the car now?
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    e30 323i baur
    Yes very strange. Maybe someone ever replaced it.. anyways the pump gives me enough fuel normaly (when I chek litera per minute)

I'll chek the sensor today, but like I said it's not on the flywheel, of in the gearbox there are no sensors there on my e30. My sensor is in front near the distribution belt.
    I'll chek this out. But if I understand u correctly it will be the ECU with help of the sensors who will signal my pump relay?

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    You will need a wiring diagram for your model to be sure, but here in the states, on the M20B27 there are two sensors on the transmission bell housing. One measures the speed of the engine by counting the teeth on the flywheel. The second is the "reference sensor" that looks for a piece of metal welded to the flywheel. When the ECU senses those it will turn on the fuel pump.

You mention the car was "dismounted" I understand you mean dissembled. In other words, you had a stack of parts to put back together. I mention this as we have seen people use the wrong transmission bellhousing when swapping from automatic to manual transmissions that are missing these required sensors.

Again, check the wiring diagram on your specific model to be certain. And good luck getting it sorted.
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    e30 323i baur
    I'm prety sure it's all original.
    Previous owner said het drove the car into his garage before he dissembled it.

Now I just want to make sure I realy have a CPS, how weird my question may seem, can I be 100% sure that I have a CPS on my e30?

It's not so that an 323e for example (whatever de difference might be) doesn't have one? And that I have a 323e instead of 323i (don't know the difference).
    Didn't get to chek on this today but I'm prety sure if I have a CPS that's the problem like u said.

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    I have the 325E, it has two position sensors and the bell housing as I mentioned earlier. There is one on the front by the timing belt that is only used for the diagnostic port. I understand on the 325I engines, there is one crank sensor on the front by the crank pulley.

Try looking here for your wiring diagram http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    e30 323i baur
    If anyone in the future would have the same problem here's what I had.
    My engine does not have a CPS.
    The relay and the non-itnition were due to my '15' from the keyswitch (sorry for bad english terms). They cut it and wired it to some place with a weird mechanism that was labled 'alarm' but no idea what it is or what it does. So cleared that out and now the car is running.
    But apparently it's possible to not have a CPS like my engine!

My Cars
    Cool. Glad you are back on the road
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    E30 323i
    Isn't it the case the L-Jetronic did not have a CPS at all because it used a mechanical distributor for spark timing?

I'm fairly sure I have never come across one when putting my 323i back together...