Thread: Control arms, tie rods, bushings still good if stored for 10 years?

My Cars
    E36 M3

Control arms, tie rods, bushings still good if stored for 10 years?

I have an extra set of control arms, tie rods and bushings I bought for my E36 M3 10 years ago!
    They've been in a storage container in mild climate in garage for 10 years.
    Obviously there's some rubber and ball joints and stuff on these parts. They look fine to the eye. Is there any reason not to use them?
    If I buy parts from BMW wouldn't they have also been sitting in a warehouse for years?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get a macro closeup of the rubber. If it didn't deteriorate it should be fine.
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to E36 M3 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    I'd use them
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    91 332is
    I would also use them.
    "1991 332is - 1998 Supercharged OBDI S52 - E36 5-Lug with E36 M3 Brakes - B&G Coilovers - 2.93 LSD - Style 5's"
    Gone but not forgotten

"1997 M3"
    Currently being restored past its former glory

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I work in the aerospace rubber parts industry. If its been stored as described, there will be minimal degradation to the rubber. Natural rubber products are most susceptible to ozone, if they are in a box or bag they should be fine. Natural rubber does also age stiffen, but the build up of stiffening will break back down once you start flexing it.

Unless there is obvious cracking or checking, I wouldn't have any issues using a 10 year old rubber part. If there is a waxy appearance on the surface don't worry, it is an antidegridant that is incorporated into the rubber to protect it from ozone attack. It actually blooms to the surface with time from within the rubber compound.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    ^ Wow, that's some great info from the inside right there!!

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Thanks for all the replies.
    It will save quite a bit of money to use them.. I forgot I even had them I bought two sets last time I did the arms, tie rods and bushings. I left the receipt in with the parts so I know I bought them from Pelican about 11 years ago.
    Time flies I thought I did the arms about 6 years ago but in reality 11 years have passed!
    I'm in Los Angles so the climate is mild. The parts were in a storage container on a shelf in the garage. The tie rods are still in unopened packaging.
    I'll take a close look at the bushings which are packed loose inside a box (no sealed plastic etc..) and replace those if anything.
    Last edited by brianc; 02-23-2021 at 11:55 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    it all depends on the exact material. As pizzaman09 described it, ozone + temperature are the biggest problems. In our company we keep "rubber" spare parts in a dark, air conditioned and moisture controlled storage warehouse, temperature below 20 degree C. Here copied some info from WARCO BILTRITE: Shelf Life vs. Service Life in Rubber Products
    How close to the end of the expiration date of the shelf life can rubber products be used?
    It depends on the storage conditions, which can affect the quality and shelf life of rubber products. If stored under the most suitable conditions, it could be used through or even beyond the expiration date of its shelf life. Bad storage conditions can shorten the expected shelf life. Rubber products should be stored in a dry cool place and should be protected from light, moisture, oxygen, heat, ozone, any chemicals and deformation. Storage temperature should be below 25°C however, below 15°C is preferable.
    Shelf life does not guarantee the quality of a product; therefore, rubber products should remain in storage for as short time as possible. During storage, rubber products can undergo changes in physical properties and ultimately become unusable. If the shelf life has expired, rubber products should be carefully evaluated for possible use as originally intended before discarding products solely based on the suggested shelf life.
    Is the shelf life an issue for storage only or usage? >>It is an issue for storage only. Shelf life is one issue and service life is another. However, one should keep in mind that storage conditions can affect the service life of rubber products.

Recommended shelf life of various polymers>>The recommended shelf life generally associated with products fabricated from various polymers is listed below and is based on information provided in MIL-HDBK-695D Military Standardization Handbook Rubber Products: Recommended Shelf Life. These numbers represent average shelf life under normal dry/cool storage conditions and should be used for guidance purposes only. Shelf life varies depending on product specifications and compound design.
    Common or Trade Name.....Recommended Shelf Life
    Silicone...........................20 years
    VitonŽ, Fluorel.................20 years
    Neoprene.........................5-10 years
    EPDM .............................5-10 years
    Butyl .............................5-10 years
    Nitrile, NBR .....................5-10 years
    SBR .............................3-5 years
    Natural Rubber, Pure Gum....3-5 years
    ==========================
    anyway, I also would use the parts you have stored.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!