Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1988 325i, randomly leaking coolant and overheating?

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    I sure would find my outside leak before I tore into the engine. Fix that first. You can get a free/rent tool from Oreilly to test for blown head gaskets. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../67094/4700290

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    1990 325i sedan M20 glac
    Quote Originally Posted by aaverhulst View Post
    I sure would find my outside leak before I tore into the engine. Fix that first. You can get a free/rent tool from Oreilly to test for blown head gaskets. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../67094/4700290

- - - Updated - - -
    if the oil is contaminated with coolant... it's the headgasket regardless of the outside leak... IMO
    there could be other cracks in the block... rare but possible which would require an engine pull and serious pressure test. $$$

sent from hell using Tapatalk

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    If it stayed running, it's the hg. If it died from being overheated, I would think worse but either way, it going to need a new hg and probably get the head milled smooth
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i 4-Door
    It stayed running.
    Yeah-I read somewhere that a bit of "milk" can be common on the oil fill cap in colder months. It's pretty cold here in NYC. So part of me is questioning the HG because I did definitely get outside leaks.
    I have one of those HG fluid-sniffer testers somewhere, I can give it a shot.

My Cars
    1990 325i sedan M20 glac
    oh... cold temps will produce some milk.
    that's a fact. find the external then for sure before you pull the head then.
    didn't realize it was so cold. my bad.

My Cars
    I drove with a slight head gasket leak for a year. I just didn't feel like pulling it
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2003 4.4 x5
    In WI I get a tad bit of a milkyness in winter on the dipstick at times, not so in summer.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i 4-Door
    To find the eternal, I use a radiator pressure tester right? Is there a special adapter I need to fit the expansion tank or do most kits come with a proper adapter? thanks for all the input guys.

My Cars
    1990 325i sedan M20 glac
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    I drove with a slight head gasket leak for a year. I just didn't feel like pulling it
    no lie. I drove from seattle to LA and back and then some with a slow external HG leak at no. 6

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    You hope it's not "eternal". But with mess that BMW has for hoses, it might be eternal - mine seems to be always dripping or seeping from somewhere. You can also get radiator pressure kits to borrow at auto part stores that come with adapters. Also do you now have more oil in the crankcase than you started with? That would be bad.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i 4-Door
    Ok, so I had some time yesterday to look at the car. I have some stuff to report.

First of all, I don't think I have a broken head gasket. I was initially alarmed by seeing a dollop of white/gray goo on the inside of the oil cap (about the size of a pea) and a similar sized drop right above oil level on the dipstick. I think this just due to condensation. The amount of goo hasn't grown at all and the amount of oil looks the same, and the actual oil on the dipstick looks pretty normal.

Secondly, I did a head gasket leak sniffer test. The kind with the blue fluid and the rubber squeeze bulb at the top. I let it warm up with the cap off, and did the test several times and no change in the color of the fluid.

Lastly, I let it idle in the driveway, cap on, for about 30 minutes, twice. Honestly, I couldn't even find an external leak again. There was some steam coming out from the same area, somewhere near or under the t-stat housing, but i couldn't see any fluids coming out. The temp gauge did get a little past the middle mark, but the fan kicked on and it cooled back down. And no more additional white goo.

I'm still going to do the hoses, t-stat housing, water pump and timing belt. But not sure about the head gasket anymore. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by jenkins71; 02-21-2021 at 09:16 AM.

My Cars
    It sounds like you are good.

Under the thermostat is another small hose that runs across to the back of the head. Maybe it's got a small pin hole leak. It's happened a few times to me and the kids
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2003 4.4 x5
    I wonder if the high pressures on coolant in an overheating engine may have just exposed a leak somewhere that's usually a small drip if even that. I'm not sure that's how it works 🤷.

My Cars
    1990 325i sedan M20 glac
    did you perform the pressure test on the coolant tank? that should show the leak...

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i 4-Door
    I don't have a pressure tester... does anyone know one that'll fit the coolant tank threads?
    thanks all

My Cars
    1990 325i sedan M20 glac
    you can rent the kit at most decent auto part stores. it has several cap sizes.. pressure rating is on the cap bottom. it's spendy to rent but you get It all on the return.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i 4-Door
    Hey guys, I wanted to give you all an update on this. The issue is resolved, but it turned out to be kind of interesting.

So, just to recap:

I had an overheating situation on the highway, followed by a strange coolant leak I could not seem to find the source of.
    I had some milky white goo under my oil cap that give me worry.
    I did a number of tests and determined that my head gasket had not failed. I also couldn't seem to recreate the coolant leak I had on the highway.
    I had some steam coming out from somewhere under the intake manifold, towards the front of the motor. I figured it had to be caused by one of the many coolant hoses on this motor.

My plan of attack, after convincing myself the head gasket was fine, was to go about a normal timing belt replacement and be sure to replace the water pump and all hoses while doing so. I figured that between the new WP and the all new hoses and clamps, my mystery would probably be solved.

Well, little did I know my mystery had just began!

I set about replacing the timing belt, which of course led me to remove the valve cover. The inside valve cover was completely coated in white goo! So much for not having a head gasket problem! I cleaned the VC and scratched my head for a while then figured that the head was going to have to come off. I went about getting the timing belt removed, which as you all know is a bit of a lengthy process. Then returned to the top of the motor and started loosening the head bolts.

That's when I saw the problem. Not one, but TWO of the heads of the head bolts had popped off and where left lying around the valve train! Of course, the head washers from each were also loose and chilling by the valve springs. One of the washers looked like a potato chip and appear to have been mangled by the camshaft. These washers are about 1/4" thick and are pretty beefy, so it would take a lot of pressure to make one bend.

Image 2021-05-13 at 11.20.27 AM.jpg

I decided to pull the head with the intake and exhaust manifold attached. I used a crane since the whole kaboodle is pretty heavy, and also since I'd have to lift them up extra high to clear the "studs" of the head bolts with broken heads.

IMG_1954.jpg

Once I had the head off, I could see the head gasket, and it was indeed intact. I couldn't seem sign of a break anywhere. Also, I could see that the coolant was mainly coming out externally, and running down the side of the block on the driver's side. It was a milky white mess but fairly contained.

IMG_1959.jpg
    IMG_1960.jpg

I drained the oil and the oil showed no sign of having coolant in it. It was still clean actually, since it only had a couple hundred miles on it. So I expect most of the coolant leak was external, which is a good thing in my book!

I took the head to my local machine shop hoping it could be saved, but unfortunately the cam journal had cracked due the the cam running over the heavy duty washer from the head bolt. I was able to find a new head nearby for $200, and had it skimmed flat and checked for leaks before bolting on with new Torx-head bolts and a new Elring head gasket.

I also painted the valve cover red while I had it off, using some awesome 2k aerosol paint from Eastwood (highly recommend this over traditional aerosol paint!) and polished the fins and letters. Looks like new!

While doing the job, I also did the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, replaced all the belts, replaced every hose with silicone hoses, had the injectors professionally cleaned, changed the cap, rotor, and spark plugs, gave her a new fuel filter and air filter, and of course change the oil and filter. Ran new antifreeze in, the blue BMW stuff.

I'm happy to report hat the 325i is now running like a champ with no more overheating issues! She only has 78,500 miles and I'm hoping the kinks are all worked out now. I'd like to get another 100k on her, if not more! Thanks to everyone for their help on this matter.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 11.34.03 AM.jpg

My Cars
    dang, your original head bolts popped the tops. that's what they say could happen and yours is the first time i have ever seen it.

sucks you had to find another head but luckily you were able to find one nearby and super cheap. i bet that car runs fine for as long as you own it, now. its got ultra low miles and you are taking care of it so it should return the favor. i know my 89 325i four door was an awesomely dependable car
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Thanks for following up. Nothing worse than all those zombie threads out there that have the exact problem you have but no resolution from the original poster.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i 4-Door
    dang, your original head bolts popped the tops. that's what they say could happen and yours is the first time i have ever seen it.

sucks you had to find another head but luckily you were able to find one nearby and super cheap. i bet that car runs fine for as long as you own it, now. its got ultra low miles and you are taking care of it so it should return the favor. i know my 89 325i four door was an awesomely dependable car
    Yep. I had read about this online too but never thought it would be my problem! I guess the original owner missed the recall..

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    Yeah, thanks for the update. Good to hear you didn't give up and kept at it!

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325ES
    At about 100,000 our 1986 325ESA showed signs on fluid leaking in the garage. Initial thought by our local mechanic was the water plug on the rear of the engine let go.
    Turned out two rear head bolts snapped. No damage to the engine or the head. New head bolts went in. She now has about 275,000 miles.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i 4-Door
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrten View Post
    At about 100,000 our 1986 325ESA showed signs on fluid leaking in the garage. Initial thought by our local mechanic was the water plug on the rear of the engine let go.
    Turned out two rear head bolts snapped. No damage to the engine or the head. New head bolts went in. She now has about 275,000 miles.
    Wow! That's good to hear. Hoping to make 300k on our 325i!

My Cars
    You should. I sold my 89 325i with 325k and I still autocrossed it. The guy who bought it from me sold it to a drift guy and I ran into him about 6 years at at the yearly drift king event. He said it was still on the original engine and transmission from when I had sold it, 8 years earlier. So who knows how many miles were on it now

It still had the euro gages, HVAC panel with no obc, and e30 M3 seats. He told me he has the rears in the garage because he knew how hard they were to come by
    No e30s again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12