Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: F30: JL Powerwedge Sub + Revenant Amp- 210 Ampalternator pull?

My Cars
    2013 328i

F30: JL Powerwedge Sub + Revenant Amp- 210 Ampalternator pull?

Ok, I own a 2013 328i (110K miles) with the 210 Amp alternator, factory speakers, Bavsound Revenant amplifier(~1000 watts), and a JL 10" Power Wedge enclosed subwoofer(~400 watts). Can anyone speak to whether or not the 210 amp alternator will be sufficient to push this aftermarket set-up? When I check the voltage using the "hidden" dash menu, voltage gauge it; and this may be totally normal- it fluctuates wildly/rapidly between ~14-15 volts when playing music at about 75%. Whenever I turn it up to ~85% volume it shows voltage will rapidly drop to, at its lowest ~13.5 V, and I've noticed at times it will jump as high as ~15.1 V . It will normally stay in this ~14.4-14.9V range but is almost constantly fluctuating. It is my understanding that the normal operating range for my f30 is ~14-~15 V. Is this rapid fluctuation of voltage normal, can it cause any damage, and if so does anyone have any recommendations? I just had to replace my alternator after about two weeks after I initially installed the subwoofer and while I am not receiving any voltage errors/warnings from my car, I am concerned that the subwoofer may have played a role in my alternator giving out. I am open to adding a capacitor if need be and or possibly a second battery. The dealership just replaced my alternator with the 210 Amp alternator, and I would assume that is the exact same alternator as the car had previously. Suffice to say I do not want to burn through a new alternator in just a few months, yet it is difficult not to listen to music w/out the subwoofer, now that I know just how much better the cars stereo can sound. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, J.C.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    First, are the amps’ rating in root mean square (RMS) watts or peak watts? Second, the car came with a 210amp alternator because these cars are rolling computers. Literally. Your car likely has 10-15 computers, most, if not all, connected via a network. Your voltage readings indicate that the alternator is working overtime to supply power to the car’s computers and your amps. You have a few options. First, see if there’s an alternator with a higher amp rating that’ll fit your car. Second, the sub amp, though having a lower output rating, is likely drawing as much amperage as the main amp. Why? The coils attached to the sub’s cone to which the amp supplies power are very heavy. Also, the distance the coils travel is a lot greater than in a mid-range speaker. Those 2 factors-weight and distance-together mean that the sub amp has to put out a lot of power. To compensate you could install a capacitor in parallel with the sub amp’s power input. Lastly, you should keep the volume levels down as high volume levels damage your hearing permanently.

My Cars
    2013 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    First, are the ampsÂ’ rating in root mean square (RMS) watts or peak watts? Second, the car came with a 210amp alternator because these cars are rolling computers. Literally. Your car likely has 10-15 computers, most, if not all, connected via a network. Your voltage readings indicate that the alternator is working overtime to supply power to the carÂ’s computers and your amps. You have a few options. First, see if thereÂ’s an alternator with a higher amp rating thatÂ’ll fit your car. Second, the sub amp, though having a lower output rating, is likely drawing as much amperage as the main amp. Why? The coils attached to the subÂ’s cone to which the amp supplies power are very heavy. Also, the distance the coils travel is a lot greater than in a mid-range speaker. Those 2 factors-weight and distance-together mean that the sub amp has to put out a lot of power. To compensate you could install a capacitor in parallel with the sub ampÂ’s power input. Lastly, you should keep the volume levels down as high volume levels damage your hearing permanently.
    Thank you so much for the reply. The Revenant (plug-n-play) amplifier is 645 RMS/1300W peak(this replaced the factory 205 watt amplifier) and the JL-10" is 400W RMS. According to the technician at the BMW dealership, there are two alternators that will work properly in my f30, the 180 amp and 210 amp versions. I just had mine replaced due to failure @110K miles. I always relied heavily on electronics as I would run heater, daytime running lights, stereo, heated seats, etc., all simultaneously, much of the time while parked/idling. Since I have had to replace my alternator, I have been very much aware of my electrical usage. I will often only listen to music at higher levels while driving and with climate controls, heated seats, and fog lights in the off position. I still will get fluctuating voltage (when listening to music) even with most accessories off. I am unsure if leaving other accessories turned off while listening to music is of any help or not. If nothing else, I would think it may help save my battery? If I'm not mistaken, my battery was in "FAIR" condition according to the dealership. Oh, and for what it is worth, while I truly appreciate the concern, I do apply a bit of common sense concerning listening to music at high volume. The subwoofer volume/the built in JL amplifier stays at ~70% while the head unit's volume usually stays under 50%. Rarely do I crank head unit to anything above 75%. On occasion I will crank it up and listen to it at ~90% for a couple of hours, however this is maybe once every few months and I remain fully aware of the hearing loss/damage this exposure is capable of. For now, I will further investigate the idea of a capacitor in parallel...Any further information you feel that I may find helpful is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, J.C.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The battery doesn’t supply power when the engine is running. The alternator provides all the electrical power.