Thread: 2014 F33 435i wind deflector storage behind rear seats?

My Cars
    2014 BMW 435i Cabriolet

2014 F33 435i wind deflector storage behind rear seats?

I've just purchased a second hand alleged OEM wind deflector, as my second hand car didn't come with one.

I've read that it can be stored behind the rear seats, but I can't get it to fit it. It's as it if almost fits in but there are some large heavy duty clips attached to the seat frame where the rear seats fold back up into that in the way and I cant navigate around them. I've tried googling and youtubing for information on how this is stored but I can't find anything other than a sole text reference that it can be stored there.

Can anyone actually confirm behind the rear seats is actually a storage area for an OEM wind deflector?
    Last edited by harlen; 02-13-2021 at 10:00 PM.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 435i Cabriolet
    OK I was able to get it in, although I'm still not 100% if it's the "right way".

There's a seat boot locking door that restricts access to the boot through the seats which is easily opened and laid down flat through the boot access. That made it easy to slide the deflector in, tuck it in the nook behind the seats and behind the clips, and then it was possible to push the seats back, and then push the deflector in place through the boot and then closing the boot locking door to the seats.

Seems a little wiggly on the right side when viewed from the boot. I hope it won't rattle. I guess it's easy enough to do via the boot rather than from pulling the seats down. Although it seems it would be more practical to me if it could be done just by pushing the seats down without having to go in through the boot! but those huge clips get in the way.
    Last edited by harlen; 02-14-2021 at 10:29 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW 430Xi Convert.
    harlen, l agree that there are items on this vehicle which aren't clear from the manual. I recently got my 430Xi as a CPO and it's a learning process.

Your wind deflector must fold in half to have gotten it into the space behind the fold-down rear seat. I'm not sure the after market wind deflectors fold.

As you've likely found out, the wind deflector goes in behind the rear seats with the curve side toward the driver's side. From the passenger compartment, fold the rear seat down and find the two fold-down clips on the top sides of the opening. These serve as back stops. Fold these down before you place the wind deflector behind the rear seat. The center clip at the top slides up and down. After you put the wind deflector in place, slide the center clip to come down in front of the wind deflector and help hold it secure. I've not tried to replace it from the trunk, but I would think you can have the center slide clip down to start and swing down the side clips after the wind deflector is in place.

Now, if I knew what the compartment at the back left of the trunk is supposed to be for. It has a turn knob and hinges open from the left side. But it's barely deep enough to hold a credit card.

My Cars
    2018 BMW 430Xi Convert.

Wind Deflector Reply - Addition

When placing the wind deflector from the trunk side, the deflector will probably block the swing down clips on the top sides. If so, you'll need to put the deflector back from the passenger side to have all the clips working.

My Cars
    2019 430i convertible
    Agreed not sure what that compartment is for but does have a nifty locking mechanism so BMW must have had a reason