Thread: Tight Steering Quick Arms

My Cars
    1991 850i

Tight Steering Quick Arms

To all 850 "Non CSI" owners... I just recently purchased and had these "Quick Arms" installed on my 1991 850i and I am amazed !!!

I have had my car since 2015 and as most of you know the 850 non CSI is a bit sloppy with its steering and spends most of its time sniffing around the road. Before coming across these "Quick Arms" I was searching for a CSI steering box but not only are CSI boxes hard to find but can be very expensive and with much more labor to install.

However, these quick arms that I just had installed are incredible!! After installation I had the car properly aligned and I swear that this is like a brand new car!!! Precise and tight steering at a very reasonable price that can't be ignored and built with high quality steel construction.

I highly suggest you check into them yourself or better yet buy yourself a pair before they are sold out. I can promise you that you will be VERY VERY glad you did !!!

Respectfully,

Rick

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Where is the link regarding the quick arms? Lol

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850
    For Sale Section

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    I ordered a set last week. Should quicken up the ratio on the E32 servotronic box I installed in my 850.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    540iT 840Ci 850Ci 540i
    More Explanation about these arms. This is probably not necessary for about 75% of people reading this, but for that other 25% I would like to explain, in basic terms, what is happening with these Quick Arms.
    By shortening the distance from the base of the strut out to where the tie-rod attaches, we have done two things......for the same input in the steering wheel, we are now moving the road wheels quicker and further. Caster is what is giving the steering the ability to 'self center' and when the wheels are pointing straight ahead, you have the most self centering effect, and when you are at full lock you have the least.....imagine if you could turn the road wheels until they were at 90 degrees to the forward direction, you would have zero self centering.

When you are maneuvering in the driveway or parking lot, you are using a LOT of steering, but when you are out on the road, you almost never turn the steering wheel more than 90 degrees (usually 45 degrees or less). I would like you to go out to your car in the garage or driveway and turn the steering wheel 90 degrees, then get out and look at how much the road wheels have turned.....its about 5-8 degrees !! When you are driving down your favorite twisty road, you are moving the steering wheel about 45 degrees so about 3-5 degrees road wheel.

As I mentioned, when you move the steering wheel, you get more travel at the road wheel, SO if you turn your steering wheel to full lock, and because the tire is moving further, there is a slight chance that it will touch the inner fender.......just because it is there, you do not have to turn the steering wheel that far and get 35 degrees !! USE SOME COMMON SENSE (By the way, if you do use this 35 degrees with these Quick Arms, you will be blown away by how tight the turning circle is, you can easily turn a U-turn in the street outside your house).

I'm sorry if this is a little long winded, but we have had a customer who cannot grasp the concept that when you turn the steering wheel it moves the road wheel, and when you make this arm shorter, it moves the road wheels further.
    In reality, when you drive down that favorite road, you will not be wanting to use any more road wheel angle than before, but it is nice when the reaction to steering is quicker....duh!

My Cars
    540iT 840Ci 850Ci 540i
    Self Aligning Torque.jpg

This will help show that the self aligning Torque is highest when you have low wheel (or slip angle)angles.