Thread: where to start + finding a thread building M52; Crank no start

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan

where to start + finding a thread building M52; Crank no start

So, I’m removing my engine on my 98 328i and all I have left is making sure that nothing is connected to the automatic transmission because I’m going to be pulling the engine and transmission together. I have already removed the guibo and driveshaft and the 2 02 sensors. What else should I remove and how (this is my first e36 so I’m a bit of a newbie, any advice helps). I figured there will be something that is connected to the shifter but not sure what. Thank you!

My Cars
    04 330ci ZHP Vert, 2x 98
    Quote Originally Posted by kev36 View Post
    So, I’m removing my engine on my 98 328i and all I have left is making sure that nothing is connected to the automatic transmission because I’m going to be pulling the engine and transmission together. I have already removed the guibo and driveshaft and the 2 02 sensors. What else should I remove and how (this is my first e36 so I’m a bit of a newbie, any advice helps). I figured there will be something that is connected to the shifter but not sure what. Thank you!
    There’s a circular plug on the right side of the trans, rotate it and pull it off, you also have to disconnect the trans cooler lines either on the transmission or at the cooler. And the auto shifter connects to the trans on the left side, a 13 and a 15 I believe is clamping it on. It should be pretty easy to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1992 E36 325i NV
    I did that 6 months ago. I had to disconnect the lower joint on the steering colum. The part that goes to the steering rack as I couldnt get the auto trans and the trans cooling lines attached to it to clear. Not sure if thats how you're supposed to do it with an auto.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    You have to disconnect the steering column with a manual too or else the oil pan will hit it. Auto shift cable runs down driver side of trans and bolts up about halfway on the trans

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan
    Those 2 bolts, the 13 and 15, are you referring to the ones on the transmission lever? I’m a very visual learner haha

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    You have to disconnect the steering column with a manual too or else the oil pan will hit it. Auto shift cable runs down driver side of trans and bolts up about halfway on the trans

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Are you talking about the transmission lever or the bracket that comes before it?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan

Need help on where to start and finding a thread for building M52

I’m currently having to put together my m52b28, mainly just putting back the oil pan and timing case with all accessories. Is there a thread already that has a detailed or good enough guide for doing all this? The bottom block really is the main bare thing that I’m worried about, where should I start first? Thank you.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan

Need help on where to start and finding a thread for building M52

I’m currently building a M52b28 engine for my 328i. The engine was supposedly rebuilt and when I got it I discovered that it was really just a bare engine. No timing cover or oil pan or valve cover, etc. I’m planning to just use my old M52 and swapping things over but this is my first time. You guys have any tips, tricks, and advice? Where should I start? I was also wondering if there was possibly a thread or link that thoroughly goes through the process and well enough that I could catch on and do? Anything helps, thank you. Planning to use this thread for further questions

My Cars
    e36
    there's 10 million tutorials and youtube videos about literally everything about the m52

My Cars
    1998 328i
    The most in depth rebuild I have seen was detailed in a 9 part youtube series by "dvatp". He has links to the website in his car's page in the description of the videos. He replaced virtually everything with new BMW parts and spent far more than you need to in the process. I don't think you need to spend that much but his level of detail is great.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by gdavid View Post
    The most in depth rebuild I have seen was detailed in a 9 part youtube series by "dvatp". He has links to the website in his car's page in the description of the videos. He replaced virtually everything with new BMW parts and spent far more than you need to in the process. I don't think you need to spend that much but his level of detail is great.
    Thanks man!! I like these more in detail, in depth videos, all the side and extra information is hella nice

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan

Crank no start; weird situation need help

Basically, I just put together my e36 after a year of sitting and got it to run and it was ran super strong and good and healthy. I went for about 2 drives, on the last drive, I gave it more gas than usual (around 5.5k rpm) but it still drove back home healthy and good. Turned off the car while we admired it of course. Turned the car to on as I wanted to test out the radio, took it out once but did not unplug it, I swear I saw the security system light flash and hear the door locks. Didn’t think much of it at the time honestly, put the radio back. Turned the car off and then tried to start the car and it would only crank. It would crank pretty nicely, but wouldn’t completely turn over. No CEL either.

First thought was either no fuel or spark. We could hear the fuel pump audibly prime so we assumed that was fine. Sprayed carb cleaner into the throttle body and it didn’t sputter over. Check for spark at night through the coils and we found out our issue was no spark.

Not really sure what to do from here. I’ve had suspicion that it was the anti theft since I was messing with the radio so we disconnected batter for 15 minutes as well as take out the corresponding fuses but nothing happened after we had put it all back. Still a strong crank. What throws us off is that there is no CEL either (before and after we disconnected the battery) so no codes. We’ve also disconnected and checked the ignition switch fuses (fuse 44) and put it back in but still nothing. Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be tremendously appreciated, thanks in advance.

Alright, so I believe I have a weird crank no start situation. Long story short, I just did an engine swap with my 1998 328i and the engine ran perfectly and everything ran fine and good and the car would crank and start almost immediately. Drove it twice, highest we revved it was to 5.5k. Went to park it and car was fine all the way till we completely turned it off. I turned the key to the ON position to try and mess with the radio and put in the code. Took the radio out of its housing and never disconnected any wires in the back. I’m not completely sure but I believe I heard the doors lock and the anti theft light flash while the radio was out of its housing. Didn’t think much of it. Put the radio back in and it worked perfectly once the code was entered. Tried to turn the car on and it would only crank. It was a pretty strong crank. We put carb cleaner into intake and it didn’t sputter over enough to start so we assume it’s not a fuel issue and we could also audibly hear the fuel pump prime. Did the spark test by pulling out a spark plug and grounding it in the dark and didn’t get any spark so I guess our only issue is no spark. All grounds on valve cover are good and has brand new camshaft position sensor. Could me pulling the radio out without disconnecting any cables cause the cats anti theft to brick the car? I was thinking of sending the ecu to get the ews deleted but didn’t want to start throwing money at the car just yet. Any help would be hugely appreciated and willing to add cash to whoever can lead me to starting the car. Thanks in advance.

Alright, so I believe I have a weird crank no start situation. Long story short, I just did an engine swap with my 1998 328i and the engine ran perfectly and everything ran fine and good and the car would crank and start almost immediately. Drove it twice, highest we revved it was to 5.5k. Went to park it and car was fine all the way till we completely turned it off. I turned the key to the ON position to try and mess with the radio and put in the code. Took the radio out of its housing and never disconnected any wires in the back. I’m not completely sure but I believe I heard the doors lock and the anti theft light flash while the radio was out of its housing. Didn’t think much of it. Put the radio back in and it worked perfectly once the code was entered. Tried to turn the car on and it would only crank. It was a pretty strong crank. We put carb cleaner into intake and it didn’t sputter over enough to start so we assume it’s not a fuel issue and we could also audibly hear the fuel pump prime. Did the spark test by pulling out a spark plug and grounding it in the dark and didn’t get any spark so I guess our only issue is no spark. All grounds on valve cover are good and has brand new camshaft position sensor. Could me pulling the radio out without disconnecting any cables cause the cats anti theft to brick the car? I was thinking of sending the ecu to get the ews deleted but didn’t want to start throwing money at the car just yet. Any help would be hugely appreciated and willing to add cash to whoever can lead me to starting the car. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by shogun; 05-09-2021 at 02:01 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    all your posts/double posts/threads etc with same subject over the past months merged and moved to E36 forum. That is confusing, if you always start a new thread on same subject. Otherwise it is difficult for the members to help you if they do not know the history of your work. Please use this thread from now on, do not post in E36 DIY section, because that is only for DIY tips.
    And please be patient, do not double or triple post, as you have less than 10 posts so far, all your posts have to be manually approved by a moderator = you will not see your posts immy, this is the forum spam-o-matic protection system.
    Last edited by shogun; 05-09-2021 at 03:55 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!