Thread: Are the V8 M3's really that scary as an ownership proposition?

My Cars
    None, yet

Are the V8 M3's really that scary as an ownership proposition?

First of all I'd like to say thanks in advance for the thoughts. Now that the 2002tii is up and running I find myself looking at the E90s but there is a lot of chatter about engine issues etc.

It's is slightly amusing to observe that Ferrari owners just accept $10,000 engine services but people are upset at far less than that (maybe?) in preventative maintenance on these.

I'm hoping to get some no-bs coaching on running costs from the community here, I'm OK with spending money on upkeep and like getting my hands into the work but seems like I have some remedial education before jumping in.

Thanks!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    If the car isn't properly maintained, then yes.

So like the E-46 M3's the rod bearings are one of the weak points on those motors, and I have seen people replace them at 100k. It all comes down to how much abuse the car has had in the past, ie how much it has revved around the 7k rpm area.

If you found one that you are wanting to buy, be sure to get a PPI or Pre-Purchase Inspection at either a dealership or an Indy. This will tell you if the car is worth the bother or not as you may not have to put much work or a lot of work into the car.

The modern BMW's are no where near as easy to work on as the 02 you have.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    None, yet
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    If the car isn't properly maintained, then yes.

So like the E-46 M3's the rod bearings are one of the weak points on those motors, and I have seen people replace them at 100k. It all comes down to how much abuse the car has had in the past, ie how much it has revved around the 7k rpm area.

If you found one that you are wanting to buy, be sure to get a PPI or Pre-Purchase Inspection at either a dealership or an Indy. This will tell you if the car is worth the bother or not as you may not have to put much work or a lot of work into the car.

The modern BMW's are no where near as easy to work on as the 02 you have.
    Thank you for the response, very helpful.

Should I just plan and budget for replacement rod bearings and throttle actuators at time of purchase? The cars I am looking at are all around the 50-60,000 mile mark.

I rebuild my 2002 myself, but planning on hiring a good shop for one of these.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    If you do plan on keeping the car for a very long time and would want to make it more reliable, then yes do it shortly after purchasing. Also as you live in a Hot area, I would take a very close look at the cooling system. 10 years is a long time for rubber and plastic that has been heat cycled over and over. If you don't have any receipts, then at a minimum I would replace the waterpump, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses. Typically I see the radiators last 15 years, and around then I tend to recommend replacing it as well as the heater hoses.

And of course be sure to shop with a list of options in hand, while these cars did come with a lot of standard features, be sure to get the ones you want.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    None, yet
    Thank you Darin - I do intend to own the car for a very long time.

Sounds like I should plan on $8-10,000 of preventative work to make it a long term keeper? OR - do rod bearings and cooling system and wait on throttle actuators until I have an issue?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    So as a general rule of thumb, that car cost 70-85k new and would require about 2k a year on maintenance if driven 10-15k a year. Every year that the maintenance is differed or slacked will just raise the cost next year.

I would first fix all the known issues with that car, bearing, actuators, and cooling system for peace of mind. Nothing like going out for a drive and the throttle decides to quit working on you.

I drive my E-46 M3 about 5k a year, but still requires a couple hundred dollars of maintenance every year as I do all the work. If I had to pay a shop I would be looking at an average of 1k, and this car is driven only from April to October. The winters here can be rather harsh on a car, and I would like to keep that one rust free as much as possible for she is a keeper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    None, yet
    Nice car!

This has been very helpful, thank you for sharing your experience.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    It’s funny the v8 m3s that we worked on didn’t come in with many problems at all compared to some of the other m models

My Cars
    330i, M3 zcp, Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    It’s funny the v8 m3s that we worked on didn’t come in with many problems at all compared to some of the other m models
    that's interesting.... care to elaborate! ;-)
    2023 G80 pure; 7-7-22 build

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The just seemed to have less issues

My Cars
    330i, M3 zcp, Z3
    I change the oil often, using Redline oil, since 200 miles(!),
    and I warm up the car properly.....

have had zero issues.
    Last edited by 330indy; 02-26-2021 at 02:09 PM.
    2023 G80 pure; 7-7-22 build