Thread: aFe “Twisted Steel” Headers

My Cars
    Hellrot '97 M3 Coupe

aFe “Twisted Steel” Headers

I’ve been shopping headers for my ‘97 M3 and came across these. They seem to be a unique header design, plus a midpipe section is included, catted or catless, a huge plus. Their website lists their size as 1.625” primaries with 2” tubing though, which seems small compared to even stock, unless they’re measuring differently? Maybe an attempt to mitigate low end torque losses as seen in other long tube designs?

They look gorgeous, but I haven’t seen a single post anywhere on any forum for these headers on an E36 M3, not even a mention let alone a review. Has anyone else seen a set, or have them on their car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    aFe makes pretty nice stuff and it’s not a bad price for both headers and mid pipe.

Harrison Motorsports has them on sale as well

https://www.harrisonmotorsports.com/48-36316-yn.html
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    99 M3
    Pricing look great!!
    I do not believe there are SAP ports, if that is an issue.

Note:
    This is a "Race Only" product that is to be used solely for competition. Its use is limited to closed-course and open-course racing that is formally sanctioned by a recognized racing organization. Any other use including recreational off-road use could be in violation of local, state and federal laws. This system is not currently CARB exempt and is not available for sale in California or for use on any vehicle registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicle.
    All aFe headers and Mid-Pipe systems are engineered and manufactured in our Corona, California manufacturing facility.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    No experience, but interesting design. They merge Cyl 1+6+?, into one downtube, so it's not the typical 1+2+3. Which means the header itself is 1 piece, not 2. Could make getting into place challenging if engine is in car? I don't know. I don't care for the clamp design between the header and mid-pipe. Old school clamps and slip-ins. It works, but can make for mid-pip removal tricky.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    The mid doesn't look to be ideal. No H or X pipe in it which has notable contribution to power curves on the S52.

My Cars
    Hellrot '97 M3 Coupe
    Sure enough, it doesn’t! I could have sworn I remembered an H... I’m probably getting all the systems I’ve been shopping mixed together in my head lol. I also thought the smaller tubing choice was interesting, but in the picture (there’s really only the one) it sure doesn’t look small...

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    I think when it comes to the S52 there’s proven parts that work and that’s why everyone tends to use the same handful of headers, should be very straightforward and not too expensive to have an H or X section added in, and I still think the price is great considering what you’re getting.

At first it looked like 1x5x6 / 2x3x4 for collectors but if you look at it more it does seem to be a traditional 1x2x3 / 4x5x6.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    Hellrot '97 M3 Coupe
    Yeah it’s kind of hard to tell, and it seems to be the only picture out there. I thought maybe they were a new product, I don’t remember seeing these last time I was looking into this.

My Cars
    325is, 96 M3 Euro
    afe-power-48-36316-yc-twisted-steel-long-tube-header-mid-pipe-304-stainless-steel-w-cat

assume the above is subject?

1.625 is more than enough at this hp level, though the transition from oval to round and flange alignment to port is probably just as important as the overall size as its where the exhaust flow is fastest and least uniform , the 400 cell cats should be binned for some 200 cell metal cats as a minimum for optimum performance (100 cell preferred subject to local emission requirements). An an X or H should be added after the cats (don't be tempted to add it close to the engine)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheJordanWhitte View Post
    I think when it comes to the S52 there’s proven parts that work and that’s why everyone tends to use the same handful of headers, should be very straightforward and not too expensive to have an H or X section added in, and I still think the price is great considering what you’re getting.

At first it looked like 1x5x6 / 2x3x4 for collectors but if you look at it more it does seem to be a traditional 1x2x3 / 4x5x6.
    what the proven ones for S52?
    BMW E30 325is M20B33 in the making....... ITB's, roller rockers and stroked to the hilt

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    afe-power-48-36316-yc-twisted-steel-long-tube-header-mid-pipe-304-stainless-steel-w-cat

assume the above is subject?

1.625 is more than enough at this hp level, though the transition from oval to round and flange alignment to port is probably just as important as the overall size as its where the exhaust flow is fastest and least uniform , the 400 cell cats should be binned for some 200 cell metal cats as a minimum for optimum performance (100 cell preferred subject to local emission requirements). An an X or H should be added after the cats (don't be tempted to add it close to the engine)

- - - Updated - - -

what the proven ones for S52?
    Supersprint seems to be the most popular choice and then the Raceland replicas are also very popular but if it was me I would get something made out of metal that would last longer than a pair of shoes:/

For long tubes I’ve also seen quite a few active autowerke, and for shorties I think Turner is the only option currently?

I’m still really intrigued by the aFe headers, if it was me and I didn’t already have headers and a mid pipe I would take a shot on it.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    LS E46
    Those AFE headers look like some china crap.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan

aFe “Twisted Steel” Headers

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    Those AFE headers look like some china crap.
    Website says made in California...

Last edited by TheJordanWhitte; 01-26-2021 at 08:52 PM.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3

My Cars
    LS E46
    I never said it was made in China - I said that’s what the quality looks like with those shit welds, terrible bends and blends, that ghetto collector, misaligned fitment - I think the eBay SS knockoffs are even higher quality than that. I think I actually just disrespected China.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    I never said it was made in China - I said that’s what the quality looks like with those shit welds, terrible bends and blends, that ghetto collector, misaligned fitment - I think the eBay SS knockoffs are even higher quality than that. I think I actually just disrespected China.
    I think you're basing some of your opinions on a photo that was cropped out by someone for internet product use which skews the actual shape. As someone who spent months doing this for a header company, don't base all of your opinions off that photo.

I'm not saying you're wrong either.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 01-27-2021 at 02:04 PM.

My Cars
    325is, 96 M3 Euro
    the quality looks better than cheapo ebay china stuff. I always get worried whenever i see polished stainless, thats the give away that corners have been cut
    BMW E30 325is M20B33 in the making....... ITB's, roller rockers and stroked to the hilt

My Cars
    Hellrot '97 M3 Coupe
    I do really with there was more than just one picture, pretty hard to tell anything from that thumbnail they’ve got.

After some quick math, the smaller primaries and piping sizes may actually be a better size for a near stock level car like mine with no cams. The lack of a merge is interesting, but what about mufflers like the stock lump or Eisenmann that mix the two pipes together in the muffler case? Too far away from the engine to do any good?

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by AmbOfGlory View Post
    I do really with there was more than just one picture, pretty hard to tell anything from that thumbnail they’ve got.

After some quick math, the smaller primaries and piping sizes may actually be a better size for a near stock level car like mine with no cams. The lack of a merge is interesting, but what about mufflers like the stock lump or Eisenmann that mix the two pipes together in the muffler case? Too far away from the engine to do any good?
    It is all about cost to manufacture at these price points.
    It might be worth considering the addition of an “H” or “X”. You will have to do some research on exact location/distance from the head.

Look around and read up on Dr. Gas.