Thread: Instrument cluster virginizing

My Cars
    M3

Instrument cluster virginizing

Hello,

I have a facelift (CAN) cluster that I have been playing with. I want to know what is involved in "virginizing" the cluster, which is, according to my understanding, to blank out the coding plug EEPROM so that it can be programmed to another car/vin/mileage? Everything I can find has to do with programming a "new" blank EEprom / swapping in a new one using bmw toolset tools. I don't want to replace this, I want to reset the one I have.

This seems like a very gray area since in all my research I haven't found any solid information on this. I have an EEPROM programmer, and I "think" I have been able to pull the BIN off the coding plug, but without completely disassembling the plug itself to see what model the IC is, I think I am stuck. I have also been able to get a benchtop setup to connect this cluster and communicate with my laptop. I have been able to get NCS expert to find it, and I could probably get PA soft working.

Assuming I can get the model of the IC what would be the next step? Writing FFFF to everything? Does anyone have any solid information on what is flashed on this IC and how it can be cleared? Am I even looking in the right place?

My eventual goal is to match this cluster with my MSS54 DME.

Thanks!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    You would have to edit the cluster's internal eeprom as well as the coding plug.
    You don't need to virginize it, you can just edit the VIN and adjust the mileage to what is actual on your car, in both eeproms. For some of these you can do the main eeprom even over OBD.

Then carry out all other coding with NCS Expert to make it yours.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    z3

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    You would have to edit the cluster's internal eeprom as well as the coding plug.
    You don't need to virginize it, you can just edit the VIN and adjust the mileage to what is actual on your car, in both eeproms. For some of these you can do the main eeprom even over OBD.

Then carry out all other coding with NCS Expert to make it yours.
    IF that is the case, I guess I can open it up and focus on the cluster EEPROM, and use my own cars plug.

I thought it'd be an interesting exercise to figure out how to clean/blank a plug. If I could get the IC model# that is used I could probably look up the datasheet. That is my plan, anyways.

I guess there are still some subtleties I need to figure out before I move forward. I can always pull more clusters from the junkyard and experiment to experiment more if I blow anything up.

Thanks for the insight.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The plug would simply be updated with the highest mileage available (between the two) and the vin from the internal eeprom. It won't in turn clear the internal eeprom.

It was intended like this so the reverse can happen. If the cluster dies, you transfer over the coding plug to a new cluster and run the sync. Then the coding plug would update the cluster, resuming where you left off.

If you sync coding plug to a higher mileage cluster, then chances are that your coding plug mileage will go up, and you'll get tamper dot for different vin.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 01-23-2021 at 11:21 AM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    M3
    Oh, from my understanding I thought the mileage was stored in more than one place. Thats why I thought I could still sync my mileage etc... with a blank plug