Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Accessory fan is junk. Hopefully the one at the junkyard is there and not broke or junk.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    No fan at junkyard #1. Will be checking yard #2 tomorrow. Did pickup a blower motor fan. ... seen the electric accessory fans are like $300 for a bmw replacement. That's insane.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Stupid climate fan works, just has something jammed in it from the past owner meddling keeping it from blowing.

Today I pulled the awd actuator. Found the plastic gear was broken. Waiting on the $10 replacement to come in the mail.
    I'm wondering on wheel options.
    I have a set of 17" style 5 wheels. I wonder if they will fit. If they do, I could get away with just buying 1 or 2 tires instead of all 4 for the rims currently on it.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Style 5s fit with the hub adapter rings... except I found 3 stripped lugs on the front passenger wheel... and 1 apperently was cut off on the passenger rear. Looks like I have some drilling to do tm. Smh.. e83 look pretty sporty with car profile tires on. A little suspension lower and it would be a pretty sweet little whip!

Hoping to get to junkyard for a fan asap. So close to being road ready.

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    Lots of problems, but you seem to be a very good person to sort them out. The aux fan is not really an aux fan in these cars, since it is the main fan. Good call IMO to not drive without a working fan. The new BMW part prices for these old models seem to be only going up and the wait times are getting longer. The Style 5s are probably otherwise okay, but likely have way too low offsets. The E83 wheels have the offsets somewhere in the 40mm neighborhood. Not quite E46 offsets but close. One good thing about these cars is that the cabin blower motor is quite easy to replace from the engine department side without having to pull the dash apart.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I think the style 5s are 7 series fitments. They are lower offset than e36/e46 but they Do fit e46 with no rub with a smaller width/height tire. By the looks on the x3, I have 3" of suspension travel flex before even remotely worrying about rub.

I'm really not looking forward to drilling out these lug nuts today.

But atleast she moves rather easy with the not bald wheels on it now so I can move it to a better location than the driveway snowbank.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Today was warm, so I managed to drill out the 3 stripped lugs. Started with a small and worked up to a 1/2" drill bit. Went just far enough in the hit the end of the conical part of the lug bolt then broke the head off by using a 16mm and breaker bar going clockwise. The threads just hand turned out of the hub. Found out the rotors were new. IL have to clean them up somehow and cross brakes off my parts list. Also found out that e83 lug us are not the same as e36/e46/all other bmw models. Lol.. looksnlike I have to add 6 lug nuts on my parts list.

- - - Updated - - -

20210204_121307.jpg20210204_122038.jpg
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Junkyard 2 paid of. Got a working cooling fan. Got a working pigtail for the trunk button. Got that in, messed around for 30 minutes putting that damn trim piece on the hatch.

While I was doing that I discovered a brand new set of those antitheft lugbolts in a bag under the foam in the trunk. ..

Wasted $30 on eBay lugnut set.. oh well.

Saved several hundred dollars if not a thousand today. I feel accomplished.

Now I think I have to change the ICV out as it hums/buzz while the key is in position 2. Good thing I have a spare from my e36 that will swap right in.

Started getting codes for misfire on cylinder 5 and 6. I have a feeling it may be icv related or a fuel issue.(injector cleaner in the works)

Now it's just that hood latch cable, front kidneys, tires, a replacement key, and that exhaust work and it should be drivable.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Installed 4wd actuator gear then swapped out the icv. Sure enough it was sticky and shorting out causing bank 2 codes and a possible battery drain.
    Charging battery again... then I have to check that everything's up to par code wise and install the inner hood latch cable. I installed the bonnet section and cleaned and greased up the sticking latches. That job sucked but not horrible.

Still have to get to that darn climate fan today too.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    So, my foxwell tool doesn't show fuel trim percentages, so I got around to a basic Bluetooth obd scanner and torque pro. Bankb1 is off by 24% bank 2 off by 21% and they go down with the throttle. Ordered a new valve cover. I honestly don't know what else it could be as I put new gaskets and hoses on already. Anywhoo. Il be getting tires for it this week, putting it on the road, taking it for a smoke test and prolly have a shop repair the bubble gum exhaust flanges. Then, a warm day and some determination it should be a reliable car for many more miles and years.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I found ice inside, looks to be coming from driver windshield pillar,. It runs out and down the side in-between the dash and door the drips by the old port.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Found a leak. The vac canister tube had rotted. I plugged it with a screw cuz who needs that crap.

Found the stft equaled out at 27% and the left at a even 21%.

Found that multiple valves are shorted when the key is in position 2.

Took the intake off flipped the throttle gasket around since it seemed to be leaking from the excess fuel running out at an edge.

Found the starter nut was seized, the power wires were not tight. So, new started is needed.

Noticed there is no ground wire on the starter OR on the ground connection on the passenger strut tower.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Today was a revelation.. discovered it has oxygen sensors for the completely wrong vehicle in it. .. sensors for a mercury all around. Some off-hand Ontario company made sensors... after spending a week changing stuff out and whatnot, it seems absolutely crazy... idk why anyone would do that. But hey. I guess it's and easy fix.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Local part store.. $616 for all 4 sensors, will be in monday.. now I just have to change that dumb climate control fan after it stopped working AGAIN!.

So. For totals.
    Starter $140
    Alternator $150
    Tires $500
    Intake boots and gaskets/icv $75
    02 sensors $620
    Window, window switches, wipers, rear wiper arm, trunk switch, plastic 4wd actuator gear, $70.
    Lug nuts, $20

Total. $1560 area.

Total cost, 2700.

Still needs little exhaust work and possibly a rear camber arm or alignment. And the sunroof repairs.

The costs and work seems like a drawback. But realisicly, the money is offset with brand new quality parts, and a probability of low maintenance for atleast 4 or 5 years on those things. Most likely all things that would've need replacing if I had bought the regular $5k-$8k e83 on marketplaces, anyway.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Post 02 sensors swapped, waiting for precats to show up in a few hours. ... man.. the bubble gum joint on the end of converter/manifold bank 1 is badddd. But, it shouldn't be more than a few hours (probably 4-6) tomorrow to make right and presentable.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    02 sensors did not fix the fuel trim problems.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    No fuel filter under driver side rail.. looks like I have the "in tank" fuel filter. Lame.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Installed filter and pump. Fuel trims came down slightly. Must have a very big vac leak somewhere. 🤔. The electrical gremlins still come and go. Still the blower motor sometimes works, and in conjunction with the front electric fan working. Had to pull the driver footwell obd light as it never turns off. Is there a switch for that somewhere?

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Unplugged maf and misfires went away. Stft dropped significantly although ltft rose a bit. Hoping I don't have to buy cats, but not really a deal breaker since I'm this far. Should be getting a driveshaft this week from the junkyard.

I replaced the blower motor. It works everytime now. And the cooling fan works appropriately as in it turns on low consistently with temp sensor unplugged and high when ac is on. So close to road worthy... I I ever get an appointment at the dmv, which is 100% booked for weeeeeeks..

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Update... need a new maf to get fuel trims right. Still need driveshaft, sunroof seal, sunroof parts. But.. it runs fine without misfires and no longer overheats at all while at idle standing still! So close!

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Still slight misfires on startup for just a few seconds, may be fuel trims adjusting. But haven't driven it out yet to get things really going.

I replaced the front passenger speed sensor. Then the driver rear showed an air gap code. Found a new sensor in it, and the stud broke off. So, drill and tap, new stud. Now I have no ABS, as, brake, or 4wd lights on the dash!

I'm down to brake pad light, airbag light for a faulty passenger seat sensor or module and washer fluid light! Good enough to pass inspection! 😌

Now it's down to some cooling system refresh, sunroof seal and overall repair and it should be good to go after refreshing ALL the fluids. Lol

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Plates went on it yesterday. It managed 8 mile track to work. The fuel trims settled between 3.1 and-3.1 and float lower to 0! The driveshaft arrives today.

Upon my return drive home, as soon as I got out, locked the door, I heard the cooling system "pop gurgle, spill, steam".. the cooling system is now up for replace, and then she should be ready for inspection and road worthy!

My Cars
    M3
    My $300 ebay driveshaft went in today!
    What a pita to do on the old girl. Snapped 3 of the 4 mid hanger bolts. Managed to be able to swing the muffler down to get access in swapping parts.
    The center support bearing was completely separated from the driveshaft. The rear bolt plate was seized on pretty bad.

And then I discovered my rear camber arms were bent.. looks like someone towed it with them as they are symmetrically bent backwards in the same spots. ..

The remaining list..
    1. Cooling jug and some coolant hoses
    2. Rear camber arms +alignment
    3. Exhaust flange repair
    4. Sunroof repair

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Changed the coolant jug and top hose,.

Passed inspection!

I still need to fix the exhaust and sunroof for full on restoration but I'm in no rush at the moment.

It was fun getting this vehicle together/learning about all the x3 problems and driveline and fuel system changes bmw changed from older models. Although I could use a garage for better motivation on the next one.

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    I've been enjoying your updates. After such comprehensive work this car of yours should last a long time. I like this original X3 generation for its familiarity from E46, however IMO it meets some needs better than anything else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast