Thread: Help 330i injectors not firing

My Cars
    2000 e46 328i

Help 330i injectors not firing

Hi, I recently bought a 200k mile 2001 330i that came with no key. I reprogramed the DME and flashed the EWS delete file. Now my e46 cranks but won't start. I narrowed down the problem to the fuel injectors not receiving a signal. There's .2v when I initially set the key to position two then it goes back to 0 instantly. When I crank the engine, the voltage goes up to .6v then dies back to 0. I checked the relays and the fuses in the engine compartment's fuse box and they were all good. I took out and tested the fuel injectors with 12v and they worked.

Things I checked:
    - Fuel rail @ 45psi, half tank of gas. ✅
    - Spark ✅
    - Compression @ 200psi ✅
    - Fuel Injectors ✅

I read that a possible cause could be a bad Crank or Camshaft position sensor, so I took the intake manifold off and proceeded to test all three. I don't have an oscilloscope so I tested with a multimeter and this is what I found:

-This is how I tested all three sensors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNDl...AutoRepairGuys

- Crankshaft: 5v ( no tool ) .2v ( with tool ) but sometimes the voltage would stay down at .2v without a tool. I found that I would have to swing the tool across the sensor to get 5v back.
    - Camshaft exhaust: 5v ( no tool ) .2v ( with tool ) it works exactly how it does in the video.
    - Camshaft intake: .9v ( no tool ) .9v ( with tool ) I found that when the battery was close to being dead the signal wire would jump to 5v but when I connected jumpers it went back down to .9v. also I decided to check the sensor with the engine bay frame instead of a tool, held it there for a second or two, the sensor was touching the sheet metal and things started beeping in the engine compartment. I don't know what things were beeping. intake manifold was out and not connected.

- I tested the signal wire from two locations, one close to the sensor and another just before the DME. Same results.

How are my findings? and what are other possible causes for the injectors not receiving signal to fire?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Does the tachometer needle move to about 200rpm when starting the engine? What do you mean by “tool”? The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME) for codes.

My Cars
    2000 e46 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Does the tachometer needle move to about 200rpm when starting the engine? What do you mean by “tool”? The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME) for codes.
    Just like in the video, a metal tool placed under the sensor ( in my case a large socket ) to see if the hall affect sensor can pick it up. I did not watch the tach nor check for codes. Since I traced the wires back to the DME, I will be putting everything back together and run the tests again whilst turning the engine. i will also take a look at the revs and scan for codes.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Remove the DME, unplug it and check that all the pins are clean, especially connector X60003. Sometimes a sensor will fail and send coolant or oil through the wires to the DME, foul the pins and cause problems. The Temp and oil sensors connect to the DME through X6003, which is where you will find the injector wiring.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.