Thread: Hello BMW world

My Cars
    2007 328xi sedan

Hello BMW world

Hello, just purchased my first BMW, a tan 2007 328xi sedan, 121.5k miles, for $4,700.

A few questions right off the bat:
    1) Did I get a good deal? Car was very good condition, in terms of body, it has one (actually raised rather than dented) license plate sized patch on the front bumper, other than that a little bit of pine sap on the hood is the ONLY thing I notice. Interior has some wear, but reasonable. Didn't find anything broken at all. Test drove it twice, engine sounds beautiful, no white smoke, no hesitation to start, shifting seemed good.

Common issues and gotchas? (yes, I did some research first, I'll have a tstat and water pump sitting ordered soon)

It seems theres no engine temperature display on the dash? Am I missing something? Is there a hack for that?

My opinion, the manual shifting is the opposite of what it should be. (Down shift to increase revs and accelerate should be pulling down towards me, right?) Can that be reprogrammed?

What else should I know?

Also, just as an aside, my father owns a 1974 2002tii...

My Cars
    2007 328xi sedan
    She's home. After about 30 miles, she let me know she's no virgin...

Rear driver side window needs a pinch sensor reset, think I found that fix;
    Radio display dies from heat!!😬 Didn't catch that on my 2 cold test drives;
    Smells like heated dust (better than mold or piss I suppose, seemed related to heated seat);
    Driver side mirror goes nuts on the fold-up.

Thinking I might get a cable setup and just remove the Auto fold from the program...

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

The N-52 is a good engine, nothing like the M-10 simplistic that you are used to seeing in your Dad's car.

I would first check the cabin filter, for that can cause all kinds of smells. You can find it under the hood near the windshield.

I would take a look at the Footwell Module, for that can do funny things to the mirrors IIRC.

A worthy investment would be to get a hand scanner that can read the whole car, and not just pull codes from the engine.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member