Thread: Headunit?

My Cars
    M2C, E38S62, 68 charger,

Headunit?

So my original headunit is gone. My original amp is gone. My original speakers are gone. I have some large aftermarket unit, however, i'd like to go back to something that is stock looking.

I think i saw somewhere some stock looking unit with Apple car play and all the other modern stuff. However, i can't figure out how to configure it. I think the car used to have navi... i know the speakers are aftermarket, and I know that i no longer have the original amp. I don't really care to have a navigation in the unit, as long as i have carplay, but options seem to require such answers (can't understand how that matters). they also ask for ibus drive info, but my car is e39 m5 swap, so i prob need to indicate M5's vin?

https://avinusa.com/avant-4-multimed...eries-e38.html

Are there any particular ones that everyone is using? I've seen sold old posts, but haven't seen what new stuff everyone is using. Really want something that looks stock.
    Last edited by kotik; 01-20-2021 at 06:35 PM.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Please post pics pf the current unit the Avin is like 799 once you have all the components
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    E38 98 740iL & 01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by kotik View Post
    So my original headunit is gone. My original amp is gone. My original speakers are gone. I have some large aftermarket unit, however, i'd like to go back to something that is stock looking.

I think i saw somewhere some stock looking unit with Apple car play and all the other modern stuff. However, i can't figure out how to configure it. I think the car used to have navi... i know the speakers are aftermarket, and I know that i no longer have the original amp. I don't really care to have a navigation in the unit, as long as i have carplay, but options seem to require such answers (can't understand how that matters). they also ask for ibus drive info, but my car is e39 m5 swap, so i prob need to indicate M5's vin?

https://avinusa.com/avant-4-multimed...eries-e38.html

Are there any particular ones that everyone is using? I've seen sold old posts, but haven't seen what new stuff everyone is using. Really want something that looks stock.
    I use the Avant 4 and it’s quite good. It has its quirks but definitely a stock looking unit that works well for what it’s designed for.
    E38 1998 740iL DM24826 - Arctic Silver Metallic / Gray - 185k
    Retrofits/Modifications: Bi-xenon lights with angel eyes and city lights, 750iL grab handles and rear interior lights, facelift kidneys, Euro front plate, 2001 tail lights, auto wipers, auto headlights, interior and exterior illuminated door handles, Steptronic, "Max AC" IHKA panel, comfort exit/entry, LED high beams, rear seat foot rests, footwell lighting, Avin Avant 4, Monsoon rear deck subs and door woofers, wireless charging, hydraulic trunk (coming soon)

E38 2001 750iL Sport DD74513 - Titan Silver / Black - 175k

BMW CCA # 573127

My Cars
    M2C, E38S62, 68 charger,
    It is this unit here. i'm not really sure of the brand, but the inner menu looks exactly like the one with avin (includes that app for obd read outs, where it shows the turn signals and temps, and stuff like that). I don't really have too much experience with aftermarket stuff, but it seems that my unit freezes up sometimes, like sometimes it won't load my apple car play (say if i had a call on the phone, and i switched from talking via bluetooth to talking on the headset, the apple car play won't work for a few days, no matter how much i restart stuff, it just says loading). The mic for the system is really bad, nobody can hear me/hear bad interference no matter how i hold the mic. Secondly, my volume button works sporadic, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't (it works eventually if you press it bunch of times).

bmw 7m5.jpg

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by kotik View Post
    It is this unit here. i'm not really sure of the brand, but the inner menu looks exactly like the one with avin (includes that app for obd read outs, where it shows the turn signals and temps, and stuff like that). I don't really have too much experience with aftermarket stuff, but it seems that my unit freezes up sometimes, like sometimes it won't load my apple car play (say if i had a call on the phone, and i switched from talking via bluetooth to talking on the headset, the apple car play won't work for a few days, no matter how much i restart stuff, it just says loading). The mic for the system is really bad, nobody can hear me/hear bad interference no matter how i hold the mic. Secondly, my volume button works sporadic, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't (it works eventually if you press it bunch of times).

bmw 7m5.jpg
    That some after market unit wow not a Big fan of it. You can go back to OEM unit or the Avin is good or you can do a Custom Alpine set up that what I did . Can you Please extain what amp you are using. Can you take a better picture of the unit so I can help you
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    2001 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by tylamb19 View Post
    I use the Avant 4 and it’s quite good. It has its quirks but definitely a stock looking unit that works well for what it’s designed for.
    I've been looking at the Avin 4, what are the quirks? Is it worth the chage over from the OE set up? I have the 7" screen w/navi of course and all of the functions work.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmye38 View Post
    I've been looking at the Avin 4, what are the quirks? Is it worth the chage over from the OE set up? I have the 7" screen w/navi of course and all of the functions work.

check this out I hope this helps

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...eview.1253277/
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    E38 98 740iL & 01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmye38 View Post

Absolutely 100% worth the change over OEM nav which is all but useless now without something like the BlueBus, but even that is limited compared to an Android system like the Avin. Quirks are mostly that everything related to the OBC, DSP, or anything else go through the “I-Bus App” installed on the unit. This means that you’ll have to set up the Android system to start the I-Bus App at startup, and sometimes that app and related functions can be a bit finicky. Nothing that can’t be resolved by turning the car off and back on again though.

Google maps works great (even puts directions in your instrument cluster screen!) and even allows for offline maps (I have most of the northeast downloaded, it was about 2GB). Apple CarPlay absolutely changes the game. So much nicer and less distracting than fumbling with your phone to do everything.

Overall it’s been totally worth it for me. It’s like most Chinese Android head units but has a nice, OEM look. The only way you can really tell it apart is the tiny Avin logo and the labels on the buttons. It fits really well and works great for me.
    Last edited by tylamb19; 01-23-2021 at 12:48 PM.
    E38 1998 740iL DM24826 - Arctic Silver Metallic / Gray - 185k
    Retrofits/Modifications: Bi-xenon lights with angel eyes and city lights, 750iL grab handles and rear interior lights, facelift kidneys, Euro front plate, 2001 tail lights, auto wipers, auto headlights, interior and exterior illuminated door handles, Steptronic, "Max AC" IHKA panel, comfort exit/entry, LED high beams, rear seat foot rests, footwell lighting, Avin Avant 4, Monsoon rear deck subs and door woofers, wireless charging, hydraulic trunk (coming soon)

E38 2001 750iL Sport DD74513 - Titan Silver / Black - 175k

BMW CCA # 573127

My Cars
    M2C, E38S62, 68 charger,
    waht is your alpine setup? does it look stock? i like the stock looks.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Kotik,

Take a look here - https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ghlight=nxg-38

Also, take a look around other BMW forums and have a read up feedback from Avin and Avant 4 customers as part of your research, it'll help you evaluate.

Cheers, Dennis!