Thread: How do i tighten these push clips on radiator hoses? [E46 316i 1.9 M43B19TU]

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46

How do i tighten these push clips on radiator hoses? [E46 316i 1.9 M43B19TU]

hosepushclip.jpg

I got a new connector and also a new hose that connects to it, but i cannot put them together.

I watched a video on how these type of push clips work and basically i put the clip down and push the hose as hard as i can onto the connector but the metal clip just goes up, it doesnt click and stay tight. I can just pull the hose back off without having to lift the metal clip.

Any trick or tutorial would be helpful

SOLVED:
    connector.png
    It turns out that the part i ordered has a longer plastic bit (red circle) than the OEM part, i had to cut off 2-3mm to make it fit tightly. The part i ordered is from MEYLE.
    The connector has a fitting on top and bottom, one bigger and one smaller that fit into grooves, so you can only put the hose onto the connector in one way. The bits on top and bottom are both the same length on the MEYLE part but on the OEM the bottom is longer than the top.

Last edited by Jawn46; 01-21-2021 at 09:29 AM.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Have you got the lugs lined up? Check out this video from 6.00 minutes in:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kaidjjuc1E

My Cars
    2001 525it
    You lift the metal clip to remove the plastic connector and you push the clip down all the way once the hose is fully seated, the plastic connector can some times be a bear to disconnect the clip is the locking mechanism if the clip can’t pushed down and stay down then the hose is not seated when the clip goes down it is also sliding thru the other connector

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Have you got the lugs lined up? Check out this video from 6.00 minutes in:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kaidjjuc1E

I have it lined up correctly and i can push it all the way in, maybe i need more force? Im afraid the connector is gonna snap if i put any more force and tbh i already did the most i could i dont know how else i can push it in because its on the back of the engine and there very little room to work with.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Put a little silicone lubricant (not sealant) on male part of the fitting.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    There is an O ring inside the connector that provides the seal. The O ring sometimes comes out of its grove. This makes it impossible to fit the connector as the O ring stops the connector going in enough to be seated correctly. Even if it did seat correctly, it would leak.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46
    Thanks for the responses, today i took it out and compared it to the old one and realised that this has a plastic bit (red circle) which is longer than the one on the old so i cut it off like 2-3mm and only then the hose fit on the connector and i could hear the click.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    you push the clip down all the way once the hose is fully seated
    Wrong. You push the clip down before connecting the hose. The audible “click” it makes when you connect the hose is how you know you’ve got it seated all the way. There’s no reliable way to tell if the hose is seated fully without hearing that click. Many a hose have popped off because people try doing it the way you’re doing it.