Thread: Valve cover gasket replacement!

My Cars
    2007 120i 4 cyl bmw

Valve cover gasket replacement!

g'day folks hope all is well, I'm new to this forum so please be easy

so I've just purchased a 2007 120i 4 cylinder dirt cheap, it has high milage so I thought id give it the love and care it deserves and do simple servicing such as valve cover gasket, spark plugs, x1 spark plug coil, spark plug well O-rings have also been replace, I've partially assembled the engine back together such as valve cover all the spark plugs, spark plug coils and so on so fourth I've left out the engine braces and cabin vents and all the annoying components that gets in the way of actually getting to the engine which wouldn't be the cause of my issue, (wiring looms are in place and connected) now after firing up the car to check for obvious leaks which no leaks can be seen all around, the valve cover gasket seems fine and installed correctly, though I've noticed when I've started the engine, it seems very laggy which I'm going to assume it could either be that the spark plugs not torqued to correct spec possibly which is not a massive issue just a matter of torquing them down correctly, or could be the oxygen sensor which I have a new oxy sensor just need to install it, however my main concern is a burning plastic smell that's coming from under the engine I cannot figure out what's causing this burning smell, I've never experienced this issue before,

if anyone has an idea as to what may be the cause of this burning plastic smell after doing such services would be greatly appreciated thank you!

[IMG]63263890224__7F9A0490-82FC-447B-A4C7-[/IMG]

My Cars
    2010 128iConvertible
    Not sure if your car was on the list, but I did read about the EGR heater causing fire.

My Cars
    2007 120i 4 cyl bmw

Valve cover gasket replacement!

Quote Originally Posted by NHinNC View Post
    Not sure if your car was on the list, but I did read about the EGR heater causing fire.

Thank you NHinNC for your reply ill look into this! the burning plastic smell was non existent prior to the service I've read online, there may be wires on the exhaust so my goal today is to torque sparks and get under the car to inspect exhaust for something plastic hopefully all goes well