Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: F30:Alternator issues:Revenant Amp+JL Powerwedge Sub

My Cars
    2013 328i

Question F30:Alternator issues:Revenant Amp+JL Powerwedge Sub

OK, looking for anyone that can give me any insight into the following issues:
    I have a 2012 3 series with a 1000 watt Bavsound Revenant (plug-n-play) amplifier. I recently added a 400-watt JL Audio PowerWedge subwoofer. Approx a week after installing the subwoofer, my alternator (unsure if it is the 170 amp or the 210amp version) gave out and it's currently awaiting repairs. My question is: Should I need a cap or a second battery with this setup in my F30, or should my car, not have any issues pushing both amplifiers 1400 watts at max volume on a regular basis?. My alternator gave out during about a 3-hour listening session at max volume, I could see my lights dimming slitghly as the bass would hit and even noticed them flash on for a quick second at one point. I'm assuming this setup played a role in the failure of my alternator. I wired the JL subwoofer myself as the previous owner of my car had already run a ground cable and a positive cable that was under the back seat- it was like this upon purchase. So it was a fairly simple install, DEFf not a professional install, but simple. I would just throw my subwoofer back in the trunk once I get it back but do NOT want to take a chance on losing my new alternator. Could this have been mostly a coincidence? My car has approx 100,000 miles on it, am unsure if I messed up the wiring or if I will need to add a capacitor and or a second battery to compensate for power. Thanks for the input, JC

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    First, that 1400 watt rating is likely peak power (measured in watts). What is the route mean square (RMS) rating?
    The alternator rating should be stamped on the alternator label. What likely went bad is the voltage regulator which converts the alternating current (ac) voltage into DC, and attempts to keep the voltage levels at/near 14VDC with the engine running. Heat is the biggest enemy of the alternator.

Running those sound levels can permanently damage your hearing very quickly. As a person with degraded hearing (not caused by excessive noise) crappy hearing ain’t fun.