Perusing through the Marketplace on Facebook I ran across an add for a 2001 BMW 330Ci. As I was looking for a toy / project car, I contacted the buyer. The classified add didn't have a lot of information to it other than the car might need major mechanical intervention. I scheduled a time to check it out with the seller and on my way to meet, the seller contacted me with more bad news; the BMW wouldn't shift. It was stuck at the shop and if I wanted to satisfy my curiosity, I would have to come by the shop it was at. Ok then, slight detour and we found this E46 stuck in the middle of a shop parking lot with a very dejected seller and some irritated shop employees.

The BMW was red, which piqued my interest. It was a bright red with tan leather interior, along with a 5 speed manual transmission. The wheels were a Style 67 complete set and the paint was fair at best, but was it the 314? Was it the hellrot light red? On popping the hood, I found the paint code. It was the 314, the original Hellrot Light Red.

The engine was questionable and the shift linkage was replace with a short throw putting undue stress on the detent pins in the transmission. The current owner thought the engine had gone due to the mechanic's findings of 5 quarts low on oil and a gallon low on coolant. All I saw was a German car with a rare paint color in need of rescuing.

So, I have a 2001 BMW 330Ci, manual transmission in Hellrot Light Red with tan leather interior in need of some love, and I can't wait to be the one to give that love t this amazing and rare car. First up, the engine and transmission:
The 5th gear detent is bad, which makes it hard to find 3rd and 5th. This is a transmission out service with some heavy DIY. Those sleeves are a pain to get out without damaging the housing. But it just takes time.
Paint and body work:
I can do paint correction, but this is whole new level of chips and dents. I wonder if it's too far gone. Repainting things tends to devalue a car, even if it looks better in the process, but in my personal opinion, who cares. I want this car. Who wouldn't?
Engine:
Well, this could be where things go south. I need to find out where all the oil and coolant is going. I mean, we all know where that usually is. Lets hope there aren't any warps... who am I kidding?

What an amazing car to save though. Who knows what would have happened to it? Junk yard? Probably. But I love the E46. I have owned so many BMW, and this one just seems special to me. There are so many posibilities.

I'll keep you posted.