Thread: check engine light

My Cars
    2008 335i convertible,

check engine light

wife was driving our 2008 335i convertible and the check engine light came on,never had that happen before.I checked the codes and this is what i came up with not sure where to start.thanks for any help.IMG_0880.jpgIMG_0881.jpg

My Cars
    2008 335i convertible,
    id like to add i changed water pump,thermostat,and replaced the hose to the front of the head with the metal replacement fitting(o'ring was hard as a rock and leaking) a week ago,thermostat ad water pump were oem bmw.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    So you replace the water pump and t stat cleared all the faults drove the car and these came back?

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Your codes deal mainly with the work that you did. Revisit your work area.

Personally, I think you should use an OBD Code Reader instead of pulling the BMW codes. The point is, most of us know the OBD 2 conventions, and we are not familiar with the BMW codes. An OBD scan tool will reset the codes, and it will tell you if you are looking at pending or active codes. A pending code is one that whatever the sensor is looking at went to the parameter limits once, but retreated to within the nominal conditions. An active code is one that is responsible for the light coming on. You appear to have 3 codes related to the work you did, and a code for the turbos. It would be useful to know what caused the light to come on.

My Cars
    2008 335i convertible,
    Ok i checked it out again,raised it up in the air on my new fancy dancy lift(when i did the pump and thermostat the lift was not together and did it on the ground)anyway the thermostat wire was not completely snapped into place.Not sure if that would cause all of the codes or not.Also i removed the oil filter cap and checked to make sure the cage was in, there it was but i did notice that the filter(china microguard)was collapsed in the middle of the filter media,i had read somewhere that the cage missing could cause a vanos code.Apparenty my friend that i let borrow the car had the oil changed and did not use the factory filter i had in the trunk.

My Cars
    2008 335i convertible,
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    So you replace the water pump and t stat cleared all the faults drove the car and these came back?
    the car had no water pump fault codes,what happened was it was leaking coolant,when i pressured it up coolant was dripping off of the pump.I assumed it was leaking bought a new pump and thermostat and when i took the fan out i pressured it up again and noticed that the leak was coming from the hose at the front of the head that has a tendency to bake the plastic flange and crack but surprisingly it was good but the o'ring was hard and leaking i had the aluminum version of the flange,and had planned to change it.I decided that i had already bought the pump and thermo so i might as well bite the bullet and change them,they were never changed and its an 08
    Last edited by sleeper bird; 01-16-2021 at 08:47 PM.