Thread: Steering Rack Shaft Stuck to U-Joint

My Cars
    95 325is

Steering Rack Shaft Stuck to U-Joint

In the process of doing my oil pan gasket. Got to the part where you disconnect the shaft from the steering rack from the U-Joint. I began prying with a pry bar with little luck, then using an open ended wrench connected with another wrench I was able to back it off significantly but not all the way off. This is where it got "stuck" per say. I've tried a combination of turning the steering column and prying with the wrench, hammering the wrench, spraying pb. Yes the pinch bolt is all the way off and I have tried opening the clasp with a flat head.

What I'm wondering is if it is safe to try to begin lowering the subframe and see If it might slip off because I'm running out of ideas and getting really PO'd.

Thanks all!

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofthecastle View Post
    In the process of doing my oil pan gasket. Got to the part where you disconnect the shaft from the steering rack from the U-Joint. I began prying with a pry bar with little luck, then using an open ended wrench connected with another wrench I was able to back it off significantly but not all the way off. This is where it got "stuck" per say. I've tried a combination of turning the steering column and prying with the wrench, hammering the wrench, spraying pb. Yes the pinch bolt is all the way off and I have tried opening the clasp with a flat head.

What I'm wondering is if it is safe to try to begin lowering the subframe and see If it might slip off because I'm running out of ideas and getting really PO'd.

Thanks all!
    I had to hammer a wood chisel to open it up enough to then use a cold chisel before mine would finally come off. I tried with a screwdriver and that just wasn't enough. Keep at it!

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    95 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I had to hammer a wood chisel to open it up enough to then use a cold chisel before mine would finally come off. I tried with a screwdriver and that just wasn't enough. Keep at it!
    I'll give it a go and report back.

My Cars
    72 + 75 2002's
    Very typical. Penetrating oil, a little torch if you're brave, and a chisel to spread the joint are all common methods.

You can use a small amount of anti-seize to prevent the same issue down the road.
    Current_SeeDee 1972 Type 114 Luna 1975 Type 114
    Past___Veronica
    1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

My Cars
    95 325is
    No luck, I've tried everything mentioned. It's not moving much anymore. It looks like its hung up on the end of the shaft because it looks like its sitting crooked on the shaft.
    Last edited by kingofthecastle; 01-15-2021 at 04:40 PM.

My Cars
    95 325is

Right after the part on the shaft where there are no threads and a little further up is where its stuck on.

My Cars
    95 325is
    Got that b**** off. Dropped the subframe and it popped right off.

My Cars
    E46 330 ZHP, E36 328i
    It is a pain to remove. Congrats.
    My experience is that after 25 years the u-joint just under the brake booster has play in it. While it's disconnected at the bottom twist it to see of it knocks when you change orientation. If it does you may want to replace that part. It's not cheap but you have already done half the work...
    I have experienced joints that were knocking or completely stuck in the case of a car used in the winter.
    Not many people know this but pay attention to the orientation of both U-joints 'U's when you put it back together. The 'U's should be clocked the same.