Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please: Refinish LTWs (Style 24) in Black Diamond- Good or bad idea

My Cars
    '98 M3 2/5

Opinions please: Refinish LTWs (Style 24) in Black Diamond- Good or bad idea

I'm considering refinishing my (painted) LTWs.
    I read a brief comment by another member wondering how LTWs (Style 24) in Black Diamond would appear. What do you think? My M3 is an Estoril with medium tinted windows.
    I certainly don't want to spend $ to mess up the resurrection of my M3.

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    LTW looks good and classy as is in OEM color, especial with estoril blue. Black wheels are played out, and will be even nastier looking with estoril blue.

My opinion

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    skateboard
    Polished , or stamped?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    IMO, it would devalue the wheels. And possibly your car
    Ray

My Cars
    '98 M3 2/5
    These are not stamped. They have the oem silverish paint within the spokes. I'm STILL a little confused about "polished".
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Polished , or stamped?

My Cars
    yay
    never mix black & blue
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW

My Cars
    LS E46
    The only color better than silver for OEM wheels is hyper silver.

My Cars
    '95 M3 Mugello/Black

Opinions please: Refinish LTWs (Style 24) in Black Diamond- Good or bad idea

If they’re not stamped, they’re the “polished” ones. I just had my stamped ones refinished in OEM silver.

If you want black wheels, go aftermarket. OEM wheels done in black is IMO going to weird.

Last edited by cypher448; 01-15-2021 at 05:02 AM.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Winter steelies mode engaged!
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1999 M3
    So I’m about to go through the process of refinishing my LTWs as well. My set was refinished in a gun metal grey by the previous owner and have started to peel.

I’m not sure most shops can replicate the factory polished finish but a factory silver with polished lip would be fine by me. The spare is still in its original polished form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1999 BMW M3/2
    Fern Green | Sand Beige | 5spd | LTW's | Bilstein PSS9 | Bosch Projectors | Dinan SSK

My Cars
    '98 M3 2/5
    I think you're right.

My Cars
    '95 M3
    I feel like there are 3 or 4 guys included myself in this same LTW predicament. Myself included. Seems like consensus is the cost to refinish to factory polished isn't worth it. So I'm ready to have mine professionally painted the factory color: FelgenSilber.

If anyone has a spot (midwest preferred) that'll do the factory polished finish I'm all ears...
    Tim
    Milwaukee, WI
    '93 318iS w/ M52
    '95 M3/5 Avus, Slicktop
    '12 Msport 328iT/6

My Cars
    S54 E36
    I saw someone had done this to a set recently and I though it looked great! I would have bought them from the seller, but they were 7.5" wide, which was just too small for my needs.

In the end, it's your car so do what makes you happy.

My Cars
    1995 US e36 M3 Coupe
    i think silver wheels on a blue car would look much smarter. if you wanted a slightly different look, you could darken up the silver towards dark gray. i wouldn't do black though. that's just me.

[ US spec 10/1995 e36 m3 ]

My Cars
    '98 M3 2/5
    - - - Updated - - -

Pictured is FelgenSilber 144?
    Quote Originally Posted by cypher448 View Post
    If they’re not stamped, they’re the “polished” ones. I just had my stamped ones refinished in OEM silver.

If you want black wheels, go aftermarket. OEM wheels done in black is IMO going to weird.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Has anyone on here done a diamond cut refinish of the LTWs? I'm really torn between painting the centres silver or going the diamond cut route.
    1999 BMW M3/2
    Fern Green | Sand Beige | 5spd | LTW's | Bilstein PSS9 | Bosch Projectors | Dinan SSK

My Cars
    1999 323i convertible
    Another option you might want to consider is getting your wheels powdercoated. It's a better finish than paint, with almost as many color options. I recently picked up a black '99 323i convertible, and am in the process of putting on a set of directional 17x8 X3 wheels on it. Got them powdercoated "kingsport gray" from a local shop, charged me $320 to strip / clean / prep / powdercoat them. Just something else to consider...

This is the X3 wheel in its original color, when I was test fitting it on the car:

And the same wheel powdercoated gray. They won't be as much of a contrast against a black car as the original silver, which is what I was going for. Something more subtle:
    Last edited by krab03; 02-06-2021 at 10:05 PM.
    Robert
    1999 323i E36 convertible (black, black top, tan interior)
    Newport News, VA

My Cars
    '98 M3 2/5
    Looks great.
    The more I read on here and consider the input I've received on this thread, I'm going to keep the LTWs original on this particular car (Estoril/Dove).
    I sure would like to square them up, 8.5", though.
    Quote Originally Posted by krab03 View Post
    Another option you might want to consider is getting your wheels powdercoated. It's a better finish than paint, with almost as many color options. I recently picked up a black '99 323i convertible, and am in the process of putting on a set of directional 17x8 X3 wheels on it. Got them powdercoated "kingsport gray" from a local shop, charged me $320 to strip / clean / prep / powdercoat them. Just something else to consider...

This is the X3 wheel in its original color, when I was test fitting it on the car:

And the same wheel powdercoated gray. They won't be as much of a contrast against a black car as the original silver, which is what I was going for. Something more subtle:

My Cars
    1989 325i: 00 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by cypher448 View Post

Where did you get this done, looking to have the same completed to my stamped LTW's. Also is your car mugello?

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Do it correctly. These cars are too old to start being creative, and nothing looks worse than a outdated trend. It's officially a classic car now - which means the newer and less-modded it looks, the better. Details matter.

Quote Originally Posted by krab03 View Post
    Another option you might want to consider is getting your wheels powdercoated. It's a better finish than paint, with almost as many color options. I
    BS. Powdercoat is single stage and you will never get the same quality as a multi-stage paint. You're either basing that off of inexperience, or poor experience. But when done properly (prime/paint/clear) it makes powdercoat look like vinyl wrap.

The reason everyone regurgitates "PoWdErCoAt!" is because it's a cheaper process and they don't know wtf they're talking about. There's a reason OEM wheels are painted from the factory...
    Last edited by jvit27; 02-20-2021 at 07:11 PM.
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    1999 M3
    I’m working with a wheel refinisher here in Toronto and trying to decide between painting OEM silver with polished lip or machining the whole wheel. The only thing I hate about machining is that you can see all the lines left behind from diamond cutting.

Looks like I’m leaning more toward painting silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1999 BMW M3/2

My Cars
    '95 M3 Mugello/Black
    Quote Originally Posted by DekaB View Post
    Where did you get this done, looking to have the same completed to my stamped LTW's. Also is your car mugello?
    Midwest Wheel & Tire in auburn hills, MI. It was $125 per wheel. Yes it’s Mugello red, hard to tell in this pic but sometimes in the sun it looks a little more orange.

Also, blak blur, I do not know the color code, the refinisher said they just matched whatever the original was. They were familiar with LTW wheels in general when I brought them in.
    Last edited by cypher448; 03-04-2021 at 06:04 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5pd
    Quote Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
    BS. Powdercoat is single stage and you will never get the same quality as a multi-stage paint. You're either basing that off of inexperience, or poor experience. But when done properly (prime/paint/clear) it makes powdercoat look like vinyl wrap.

The reason everyone regurgitates "PoWdErCoAt!" is because it's a cheaper process and they don't know wtf they're talking about. There's a reason OEM wheels are painted from the factory...
    I'm sure there are different brands, qualities, and material types in the powder coating process. I have not had wheels powder coated, but I've had dune buggy frames, motorcycle frames, and guns done in different finishes. Several exhaust manifolds in ceramic powder coating. They regurgitate PC because it is extremely durable. I agree that initially the appearance is more refined with paint, but it doesn't last as long. People can go to the powder coating shops and hold examples in their hand and make the decision if it looks good or not. Please tell me where you're getting PC cheaper.
    Tom
    Currently 1995 M3 manual coupe, 1993 325is
    Past cars
    2003 530i
    1998 528i
    1995 530i
    1988 528e
    1988 535i
    1987 2.7i
    1972 2002

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by h82crash View Post
    I'm sure there are different brands, qualities, and material types in the powder coating process. I have not had wheels powder coated, but I've had dune buggy frames, motorcycle frames, and guns done in different finishes. Several exhaust manifolds in ceramic powder coating. They regurgitate PC because it is extremely durable. I agree that initially the appearance is more refined with paint, but it doesn't last as long. People can go to the powder coating shops and hold examples in their hand and make the decision if it looks good or not. Please tell me where you're getting PC cheaper.
    I worked in one of the largest wheel repair shops in the country. Powdercoating IS cheaper to do. The materials are less expensive. It's not as labor intensive and takes less time - which means quicker turn-around time for the customer and thus higher volume acheivable for us. It is more durable for wear & tear, but QUALITY paint can also last a long time if cared for.

PC has improved greatly over the years and most people can't tell a difference when done correctly. And there are alot of great finish options. But on higher end wheels, paint is usually preferred. It goes on thinner and does not build up as thick which can ruin the details of some intricate wheel designs. Also FYI because powdercoat goes on thicker it hides careless prep damage from heavy media blasting, acid dipping, etc. Believe what you want but it's hard(er) to find a shop that really takes their time to do a good job with powdercoating. Usually it's just cheap labor. And for people who aren't informed, they just accept sub-par work and more often than not their wheels look far worse than the OE finish.
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5pd
    Quote Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
    I worked in one of the largest wheel repair shops in the country. Powdercoating IS cheaper to do. The materials are less expensive. It's not as labor intensive and takes less time - which means quicker turn-around time for the customer and thus higher volume acheivable for us. It is more durable for wear & tear, but QUALITY paint can also last a long time if cared for.
    I see where you're coming from. Looks like the PC shops are pulling in a higher profit margin, then. I don't think much of that cost savings is being passed down at the retail level.
    Tom
    Currently 1995 M3 manual coupe, 1993 325is
    Past cars
    2003 530i
    1998 528i
    1995 530i
    1988 528e
    1988 535i
    1987 2.7i
    1972 2002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast