Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheeler dealers subframe strengthening

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    They did not. They just sandwiched the OE u-channel and didn't tie it to the frame rails nor the floor. They just made sure the cross member would fail as one piece when it separates from the floor.

- - - Updated - - -
    That's funny!
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    99 Z3 M
    So what did y’all think of the fan delete? Is that something folks are doing?

I won’t even ask what you think about the self made seat rail bushings. He saved $20 ��*♂️

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregt909 View Post

I won’t even ask what you think about the self made seat rail bushings. He saved $20 ��*♂️
    I will probably delete the fan and clutch next annual service on the SG. Its just going to get more brittle and eventually explode.

I put a new one on the unicorn just to keep it minty stock.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    z3
    Very common but if you live in a very hot climate you will be living on the edge of your cooling system's capacity. Here in Phoenix, AZ I can't delete the fan or my cars will creep up above operating temp at idle and certain other driving circumstances

For those who CAN fan delete - simply remove the fan, install a lower temp fan switch. That's it.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i roadster

Motor Trend show

Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    What episode number is it? Says the Coupe episode airs in 10 days.
    Here's the link to the Motor Trend show for Wheeler Dealers working on the 99 MZ3. You'll need a login to your cable provider.

https://watch.motortrend.com/tv-show...the-clown-shoe

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster

I recently did my water pump, pulleys, thermostat, and fan clutch. After watching this I regret not getting that fan delete kit instead.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    So they took a car with no subframe damage and probably did more to devalue the car than anything else.

Plus the subframe fix was a complete bodge and didn't need doing.

I didn't finish the show, 7 ads in between segments? You have go to be kidding me.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    So they took a car with no subframe damage and probably did more to devalue the car than anything else.

Plus the subframe fix was a complete bodge and didn't need doing.

I didn't finish the show, 7 ads in between segments? You have go to be kidding me.
    I enjoyed watching the show imagining the shellacking Ant would receive on this forum for his 'fix', so far I have not been disappointed!

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Maybe the intent was to show that a subframe repair isn't that involved and therefore wouldn't scare off buyers, thus increasing the number of clown shoe purchases with a net side-effect of higher sales prices. Of course, this is all predicated on a buyer not reading this thread I really need to stop drinking Ouzo at 4pm
    Tony

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    Do you have the number for the low temp fan switch?

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Very common but if you live in a very hot climate you will be living on the edge of your cooling system's capacity. Here in Phoenix, AZ I can't delete the fan or my cars will creep up above operating temp at idle and certain other driving circumstances

For those who CAN fan delete - simply remove the fan, install a lower temp fan switch. That's it.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bdiefAZ View Post
    Do you have the number for the low temp fan switch?
    https://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/...8-376-440.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111125791990

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by s8ilver; 01-19-2021 at 02:47 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Coupe
    Doesn't it make more sense to replace the fan blades every 15 years for about $40? Removing it seems like a lot of potential downside for very little upside.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Henway View Post
    Doesn't it make more sense to replace the fan blades every 15 years for about $40? Removing it seems like a lot of potential downside for very little upside.
    Two schools of thought here. My hot dry summers tend to favor the fan over a delete, especially at altitude. I did just what you mentioned, and replaced the clutch as well. My original fan had a manufacture stamp of 1995 on it. New one is stamped 2019 and I don't worry about it one bit.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster

I wish I did the fan delete a year ago when I replaced my water pump, thermostat, housing, and fan clutch.

I noticed the delete kits use a different water pump and different thermostat housing. Are you saying what I installed is fine? That I can just remove the fan after swapping the lower temp fan switch?

What are the advantages of the fan delete other than not having to worry about the blades breaking? Will the car get more power?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Where's that popcorn emoji?
    Tony

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    I wish I did the fan delete a year ago when I replaced my water pump, thermostat, housing, and fan clutch.

I noticed the delete kits use a different water pump and different thermostat housing. Are you saying what I installed is fine? That I can just remove the fan after swapping the lower temp fan switch?

What are the advantages of the fan delete other than not having to worry about the blades breaking? Will the car get more power?
    The ONLY thing you need to do when deleting the fan is as I mentioned above: Delete the fan and run the lower temp fan switch

Delete "kits" are a waste of money. They include things you don't need like "upgraded" water pumps (which are questionable if they are really even an upgrade) and thermostats (which will lower the operating temperature of your engine out of normal operating range, making it run richer, decreasing performance and mpg... but colder = better right?) all just there to pad the seller's margin...

The lower temp fan switch kicks the front electric fan on earlier, to offset the lack of airflow from having removed the fan clutch. Everything else should operate as normal

Quote Originally Posted by Henway View Post
    It's not the fan blades you need to worry about as much as it is the fan clutch. Some BMWs (later BMWs) had upgraded fan clutches and do not have the issues we do with fans. The fan blades last, until they are spun to insane RPMs by a locked fan clutch, and then any slight imbalance, or touching the fan shroud or radiator (from failed engine mounts...) causes them to explode

To increase the fan reliability, you should replace the fan clutch periodically - every few years is more than enough - and replace your engine mounts. 8 out of 10 fan failures I see occur from the engine mounts being sunken in, causing the engine to lean forward, and the fan hits the radiator and explodes

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    The ONLY thing you need to do when deleting the fan is as I mentioned above: Delete the fan and run the lower temp fan switch

Delete "kits" are a waste of money. They include things you don't need like "upgraded" water pumps (which are questionable if they are really even an upgrade) and thermostats (which will lower the operating temperature of your engine out of normal operating range, making it run richer, decreasing performance and mpg... but colder = better right?) all just there to pad the seller's margin...

The lower temp fan switch kicks the front electric fan on earlier, to offset the lack of airflow from having removed the fan clutch. Everything else should operate as normal

It's not the fan blades you need to worry about as much as it is the fan clutch. Some BMWs (later BMWs) had upgraded fan clutches and do not have the issues we do with fans. The fan blades last, until they are spun to insane RPMs by a locked fan clutch, and then any slight imbalance, or touching the fan shroud or radiator (from failed engine mounts...) causes them to explode

To increase the fan reliability, you should replace the fan clutch periodically - every few years is more than enough - and replace your engine mounts. 8 out of 10 fan failures I see occur from the engine mounts being sunken in, causing the engine to lean forward, and the fan hits the radiator and explodes
    Thanks a bunch!

My Cars
    N/A
    Any recommendation on engine mounts and fan clutch, while we’re on the topic ... for an S54?

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by workhurts View Post
    Any recommendation on engine mounts and fan clutch, while we’re on the topic ... for an S54?
    I went with the Mahle-Behr fan clutch (stamped "Behr Hella" interestingly). Certainly not bottom of the barrel, but also about $160 less than a BMW clutch, which is probably a Behr too.

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z3-M_Coupe-S54_3.2L/Engine/Cooling/Fan/Clutch/

Prices just keep going up and up. I paid $85 a year ago, and now it's $105 (S52)

...and $115 (S54) https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mahle_be...527831619~ber/

There's a Sachs on sale for $79. It shows as fitting S52 & S54 which I thought they all did, but others show only S52 vs. S54.

Also, hard to beat Lemforder on mounts at half the cost of OE.

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z3-M_C...h/11812283798/
    Last edited by s8ilver; 01-19-2021 at 10:49 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post

Thank you sir.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Wheeler dealers subframe strengthening

The water pump he installed is the Stewart Components pump:

https://www.stewartcomponents.com/in...product_id=145

I put one in my E36 M3 (S50). It is expensive, but it is very well built, and flows 20% more fluid than the stock pump. It also has a lifetime warranty.

-rb
    Last edited by RBNetEngr; 01-21-2021 at 11:21 PM.

My Cars
    '87 L6, '97 840, '02 M5
    Thanks for the link that's a nice kit! I noticed he had a metal underdrive pulley and shorter serpentine belt, too which he referenced as a "kit".
    1987 L6
    1997 840ci
    2000 740i Sport
    2000 M Roadster
    2001 M5
    2002 540i Sport
    2002 X5 4.6is
    2003 530i Sport
    2003 M3
    2003 Z3 3.0
    2005 X5 3.0 Sport

My Cars
    z3

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Hard left turns put all the weight into the left side suspension, apparently. I reported the video for misinformation.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Well, at least the xmbr will come out in one (1) piece...

The real damage is the thousands of people that will see this and take it for gospel.

On the other hand, I've shipped a dozen (12-13) kits so far this year, so maybne there's MORE PEOPLE reading this thread than I thought!

In fact, I'm holding back on the last kit I have in case a shop needs it, but more were ordered from the laser cutter > a week ago, so should be restocking soon enough.

THANK YOU, for your continued support!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast