Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheeler dealers subframe strengthening

My Cars
    99 Z3 M

Wheeler dealers subframe strengthening

For those interested, tonight wheeler dealers is working on a 99 M coupe, including strengthening the subframe.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Watched that last week. I found their repair "interesting."
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Half-ass (if that) "repair".
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    N/A
    That diff mount. Did they say how many miles that car had? Watching it now and missed the first few minutes.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by workhurts View Post
    That diff mount. Did they say how many miles that car had? Watching it now and missed the first few minutes.
    They chopped up a perfectly good car. Should have just done bushings.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Ant's subframe repair, after going through the RF fix myself, is not what I consider a long term fix. I'm afraid more of that kind of repair will be performed now that this episode has aired.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    Coupes...
    This is why I stopped watching Wheeler Dealers when Edd left.

Its not the same show.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    While not an ideal repair I think anything we see about our cars and various repairs is a plus for me. The more the better for me.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    This is why I stopped watching Wheeler Dealers when Edd left.

Its not the same show.
    The next series is back in the UK with Mark 'Elvis' Priestly as the mechanic. He's an ex-F1 mechanic and really down-to-earth - he did a series called Wheeler Dealers Dream Cars. Could be an improvement on the current series.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    Half-ass (if that) "repair".
    I'm not gonna pay to watch this show. So, what did he do?

I'm guessing just re-welding some pulled spot welds?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    I'm not gonna pay to watch this show. So, what did he do?

I'm guessing just re-welding some pulled spot welds?
    No. He had a fair crack at it.
    All from underneath.
    Removed existing mount.
    Them plated the U channel both sides in 1/8 steel. Manufactured a new diff mount in 1/8 plate.

Primed, seam sealed and painted.
    I thought it was a good effort.
    But only time will tell.

He did not replace any bushings. That I think was the biggest error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Coupe
    What exactly about the fabricated diff hanger was so sketch? I'm not too read-up on what the typical fix entails.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastAutoX View Post
    What exactly about the fabricated diff hanger was so sketch? I'm not too read-up on what the typical fix entails.
    I think it's not just the hanger, but also the larger area of the trunk floor that the hanger is welded to. Ant replaced the hanger, and the crossmember, but the trunk floor was left as it was. Randy's kit also has plates that strengthen the floor of the trunk.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilPhil View Post
    but the trunk floor was left as it was.
    That was the big error. The interface between the xmbr and floor was left untouched, doing nothing for the factory spot welds. Had he L-shaped the plating and added welds to the floor, one could argue that any load would be more distributed, but he didn't and they weren't.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    That was the big error. The interface between the xmbr and floor was left untouched, doing nothing for the factory spot welds. Had he L-shaped the plating and added welds to the floor, one could argue that any load would be more distributed, but he didn't and they weren't.
    Ant added more weight (1/8" plates) to the floor cavity so the spot welds can fail sooner than later
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    As is life, there is the right way to do things and the other way.

I had the RF fix completed on my roadster by a shop that has completed approaching 100 RF kits which is a proven fix!

Like everything else on the idiot box (TV/internet), be careful what you chose to believe. There is a reason they call them useful idiots!

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    The other way:

20210113_132133.jpg20210113_131951.jpg

And there was nothing wrong with the mount he cut off. The diff bushing looks a bit cracked and worn though:

20210113_132918.jpg
    Last edited by s8ilver; 01-13-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    Thank you for the pic's. I didn't see the tv show. When I dropped off my car at VT Motorworks they had another M roadster (basket case) that had MAJOR!!! subframe issues. Mine was in the early stages of separations. Like I said, VT is approaching 100 RF fixes. When I pulled into VT early in the AM to pick my car up, the shop doors were open with my car still high on the rack. I pulled in behind it and walked under the car looking at the repair with double ear dif cover. It looked OEM!! I looked inside the trunk and seen a clean job. I was happy!!

I look at the two pictures of the TV show fix, I've could have done that!!! Then in the future I'd have sent it to a qualified shop like VT to have it done right at greater expense. If and when I decide to sell the car, the future buyer will pay for the RF fix VS hammer me on the asking $$$ cause they'll be fixing it again ...... look at that hack job and you want how much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ VS I have a well sorted S54 and if you want it, PAY UP SUCKER!!!!

Funny how being a car guy, I always pay up??????

Enjoy your toy

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M
    I watched this and I was wondering how this fixed anything beyond strengthening a part that doesn't need it. After reading this thread, I now see that it doesn't. Poor unsuspecting buyer. Hopefully she doesn't drive it too hard. At least she got it fairly cheap.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    I watched this and I was wondering how this fixed anything beyond strengthening a part that doesn't need it.
    Well, I have seen photos posted by Randy Forbes of diff hanger ears that did tear in half, so they are prone to failure. My mechanic was initially very skeptical of the need for the RF subframe kit, but once he got into the process of taking apart the rear end on my car, he called me and said "Yeah, this diff hanger is chicken sh1t. I get it now".

But yeah, the Wheeler Dealer repair doesn't seem to go quite far enough.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    What episode number is it? Says the Coupe episode airs in 10 days.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilPhil View Post
    Well, I have seen photos posted by Randy Forbes of diff hanger ears that did tear in half, so they are prone to failure. My mechanic was initially very skeptical of the need for the RF subframe kit, but once he got into the process of taking apart the rear end on my car, he called me and said "Yeah, this diff hanger is chicken sh1t. I get it now".

But yeah, the Wheeler Dealer repair doesn't seem to go quite far enough.
    I was more referring to the crossbeam brace that didn't look like it was helping anything. The diff hanger did look a little stronger.

My Cars
    z3
    So that reinforced bar spanning the width of the trunk isn't connected to the frame rails?

I'll have to watch this myself sometime. I don't have anywhere to watch it currently and all my normal pirate ships don't sail towards obscure car-oriented TV shows like this

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    So that reinforced bar spanning the width of the trunk isn't connected to the frame rails?
    Some pictures of the more catastrophic subframe failures tend to show the trunk floor tearing loose from the car, like so:

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    They did not. They just sandwiched the OE u-channel and didn't tie it to the frame rails nor the floor. They just made sure the cross member would fail as one piece when it separates from the floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    What episode number is it? Says the Coupe episode airs in 10 days.
    I watched it last week (gifted Motor Trend subscription). Season 23, Episode 4 according to the app, titled "Send in the Clown Shoe" and originally aired on Jan 4.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 01-15-2021 at 02:18 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast