Thread: Drove the car without any major breaks for 1500 miles- only one issue

My Cars
    1997 328i 5spd sedan

Drove the car without any major breaks for 1500 miles- only one issue

Drove from Colorado to san francisco. Only issue I had was after like 5 hours of driving the engine shut off. I am not sure what happened but I went to pass a semi and I got no power. I looked down and saw my RPM was at 0 and wouldnt move, I tried to turn off the climate control to get more power but that unit was dead, wouldnt turn on or go up/down.

So I pulled over and restarted the car, no issues.

Any ideas?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would start by scanning the car for faults and make sure the battery cables are tight

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Probably not the batt or alternator. Could be the fuel pump. The only time my car conked out on the highway and then restarted was due to leaking injectors, so if your car sat for a long period or you don't run injector cleaner then I would start using it a couple times a year. Check that the engine ground cable has clean connections and are tight, located below the exhaust manifold.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i 5spd sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Probably not the batt or alternator. Could be the fuel pump. The only time my car conked out on the highway and then restarted was due to leaking injectors, so if your car sat for a long period or you don't run injector cleaner then I would start using it a couple times a year. Check that the engine ground cable has clean connections and are tight, located below the exhaust manifold.
    this was my thought as well, I drove another 19 hours after this and had no issues. However, I made sure the tank was at least half full, as I was told the gas in the tank helps keep the fuel pump cool (and functioning).

is there anyway to test the fuel pump? I imagine that testing it and replacing it are not that different
    Last edited by Gr33n36; 01-13-2021 at 07:57 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    How much gas was in the tank when it died?

To test the pump use a fuel pressure tester. The m52 engine has a Schrader valve on the front of the fuel rail.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr33n36 View Post
    this was my thought as well, I drove another 19 hours after this and had no issues. However, I made sure the tank was at least half full, as I was told the gas in the tank helps keep the fuel pump cool (and functioning).

is there anyway to test the fuel pump? I imagine that testing it and replacing it are not that different

Low Fuel Levels are not an instant kiss of death, more like a slow agonizing decline in health. Fuel does act as a heat sink, this is true. But low fuel does not kill like a bullet, it kills more like 3 packs of Marlboros a day. Once the death spiral begins, you should be proactive because the end can come at a very inopportune time.

Since you finished the trip and the return, smart money would at the very least acquire a fuel pump and keep it at the ready. You could test it in place, but the opportunity to make a mess that would leave gasoline smells in your car are very high. If you take it out to test it, you might not test it in its failure mode and this could cause you to put it back in.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    When I bought my car the first thing I replaced was the fuel pump I didn’t want any surprises

My Cars
    1997 328i 5spd sedan
    what do I need to replace in the fuel pump? whats the part number? I dont want to buy a new assembly if I dont have to

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Bosch Fuel Pump P/N: 0580314076 or equivalent aftermarket, fits BMW 325i, 328i, M3, 330i, 330Ci, 325Ci, 318i, 325is, 325xi, 323i & more
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1997 328i 5spd sedan
    thank you. I hate to ask but I have had FCP euro send me the wrong parts three different times, so I make sure to come to the professionals when I need to be certain about my answer!