Thread: Mirror Mounting Location on Windshield

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i

Mirror Mounting Location on Windshield

My windshield will be replaced in the next few days at the dealer. Unlike the E32, the E34 does not have a mark on the windshield indicating where to mount the mirror. So it's open to be placed wherever the installer feels is best - almost like the model badges on the trunk (though there are BMW specs for this - but hard to find, especially for the E34).

I noticed my mirror is mounted not in the center of the windshield. It's off to the right by 7/16" (about 1/2"). This appears to be the orig. windshield - though I don't see a Break-In Sticker. Bought at 94K mi.

I measured from the exterior:

Left frame to top center of mount = 23 7/8"
    Right frame to top center of mount = 22 1/2"

The mirror mount top is 1" from the top of the outer windshield frame.... or on the 3rd row of dots from the bottom - see photo. But note how off-center it is from the cup/cover/centerpiece trim on frame.

Not sure if this was an intentional design to allow for slightly more visibility out the windshield, having the mirror mounted nearly 1/2" more to the right of center.

I looked through many E34 brochures and books I have. Most cars are on shot on angles so it's hard to judge if they are centered or slightly off center/biased to the right. However I found one photo in a 1994 5-series brochure that shows it looks like mine.

Seems a little odd BMW would choose to bias the mirror mounting location to about 1/2" to the right for greater windshield visibility.... and if it was a Right-Hand Drive car, they'd have to bias the mirror 1/2" to the left.

Have other E34 owners noticed if their original windshield has the mirror mounted off center?

I know these E34 windshields were installed by robot/machines at the factory. But the mirror is questionable.

The E30 and most early models had the mirror suspended from the roof by an arm. My E28 appeared to come-out the from the Check/Control housing in the center. Pretty sure the mirror was dead-center on that car.

The 2021 3-series loaner car's mirror is mounted exactly in the center.

I want to make sure the mirror on my E34 is mounted where it should be. Thanks for the help.

Original Glass most likely. Sicursiv.

My Car. Note position of mirror mount in relation to the center cup/cover/tab. Biased about 1/2" to the right (pass. side). I hope the height is appropriate.

From `94 5-series brochure. Shows a 525iT. Note the similar off-center bias to the right.

Closer view from `94 5-series brochure. Shows a 525iT. Note the similar off-center bias to the right.
    Last edited by E28E34; 01-12-2021 at 01:26 AM.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    In those photos, I notice that while the mount is off-center, the mirror ends up being perfectly centered. IMO, where it "should" be is where you want it to be, based on your height, seating position, eyesight, and other personal preferences. If you don't are about visual symmetry, I would think the best place is as far left as possible; closer to you means a wider field of view, and closer to your centerline means looking less far away to see what's in it.
    Last edited by moroza; 01-12-2021 at 10:45 PM.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    According to the dealer, it turns out the windshield (BMW) comes with a metal-clip, like a flattened-W, pre-mounted for the mirror. So similar to the E32, the E34 also comes with a pre-installed mount for the mirror.