Thread: E36 Steering Issues

My Cars
    94 325is

E36 Steering Issues

My 254K mile 94 325is has developed an odd steering feel. At low speeds, it’s non linear. At least one of the outer tie rod boots is torn, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of play on the joint. I was gonna replace both sides, but now I’m wondering if it’s something with the rack or pump. Both are original, so it wouldn’t shock me if one or both are done. I am planning on fully rebuilding the entire suspension, all of the joints in the rear are original, but I’m not ready yet, so I need to keep it running for a while. Any ideas on identification the issue? The non linear feel has me thinking the pump. It does seem worse at startup/cold, which is why I suspect the pump.

Thanks in advance for any help

My Cars
    e36
    Did you check the steering oil level?

My Cars
    94 325is
    Thanks. I just did. Looked ok, but it so hard to get an accurate look at that little stick with the access to the reservoir. Not BMWs finest design. I siphoned out a few turkey basters full of nasty back fluid. I replaced it with some Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. I’ll see how it feels tomorrow. Thanks. Easy stuff first right?

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    The steering reservoir has a non-replaceable filter. It should be replaced a couple of times by 254k A new one is about $25 as I remember

My Cars
    94 325is
    Thanks. I did replace it once. And I replaced the fluid 5 years ago with Redline Power Steering Fluid, which I later read Mike Miller doesn’t recommend. It was definitely black, no redness at all left.

My Cars
    e36
    who's mike miller and why should he have a say in what steering fluid belongs in your car? Just go by the bmw specifications, they built the car.

Could you provide more info on "non linear"? Do you mean it's heavy first and then suddenly gets easier?

My Cars
    94 325is
    Mike Miller is a renowned BMW tech who has written a maintenance guide for older BMWs. Most of it seems pretty common sense. Yeah the steering effort, feedback is jerky, really noticeable at low speeds. Definitely not normal. Not as noticeable at speed.

My Cars
    E46 330 ZHP, E36 328i
    When this happened to me it was the U-joint under the brake booster that was seizing.
    It seizes more in some orientation than others so the resistance to turning the steering wheel is not linear.
    It might be what you are experiencing.

You can try to spray it with triflow abundantly and see if it gets better. If it does you have found the issue.

My Cars
    94 325is
    Thanks. I’ll check it out.

My Cars
    94 325is
    That was it. That joint looks pretty worn. I gave it a couple shots of triflow last night and then another this morning. Back to normal. I guess the permanent fix is to change that u joint? I’ll look for a DIY, and open to any advice. Looks like it would be easier with the IM removed.

My Cars
    E46 330 ZHP, E36 328i
    There is no easy way to remove that part.
    You can find a couple of threads here that give good ideas.

With the engine in the car I was able to do it by rotating the assembly so the slit was pointing up. Inserting a flat screw driver in that slit with a lot of enthusiasm (!). Spray that with everything you have that is slippery and let it sit overnight.
    Get a small hammer between that joint and the firewall (I know it's tight). You do not have to hit it hard but an impact is the only way to slide that thing of the spline. It took me 30 minutes.

I know you don't want to hear this but if the joint is failing the next thing will be the steering column bearing at the firewall.
    You will be half way to be in a position to change that bearing. Here is a diy :https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...t/E36-Tilt.htm

Alternatively you can use the access you created to pack that thing with the heaviest grease you have with your fingers. It will stop the rust from progressing. It was a lot of work but I'm glad I replaced mine when I did the coupler.

Good luck.