Thread: DD/track suspension options?

My Cars
    E36

DD/track suspension options?

Ok I am looking for a quality coilover setup that I can daily no problems and still be really good on the track. Im sure there will be some compromises in each direction but I am looking for the best I can at both. My first setup was TCK SA with 600r and 550f and it was actually decent on the street but hitting consistent little bumps it seemed kinda like a pogo stick. My thinking was maybe the damper couldn't keep up with the spring rate? Not really sure tho. There were a few other things I was not totally happy with but over all they were decent.

I was going to sell my car and got rid of the TCK and for the time being I got a used set of coilovers that most drifters use as temp tell I figured out what I wanted. I don't want to bash any company so I don't want to say the name but with being use to my TCK coilovers omg they are horrible. It feels like I have bricks for dampers and the crazy part is my spring rate is 100 lbs lower front and rear. I figured they would be at least close but boy was I wrong, I don't even like driving my car anymore its that bad.

So I am looking for quality more now that ever now because of this experience. Its hard to explain what your looking for in suspension but now I am searching for something that's a step up from my old TCK setup for sure.

Anyone with personal experience with multiple setups would be great help?

My Cars
    99 M3

DD/track suspension options?

Lots of people claim KW is a good place to go.
    Turner, TCKline, or Ground Control.
    As far as I know, all use Koni internals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 01-09-2021 at 04:08 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Did you buy your TCK's used? TCKs are king at DD. My car is track only and I run 400/500 rates with y TCKs. Same rates the TCK cars ran in CCA I sport when they campaigned. This shocks are absolutely plush on track. I only drove on street 1 time and had them at 2 clicks comp and 1/4 rebound... like a cadillac.

In comparison, I run a track only Miata with XIDAs with 900/500 and I don't want to touch curbing at the track... way too stiff.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    TCKline or Ground Control. If I bought new today, I'd go GC just cause it seems they're still making new product, and give such good support.
    If you going to have the car for a few years, buy the most suspension you can.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Well, I didn't see you hate the TCK. So, any of the Koni based are going to be similar.
    And yea, something may have been wrong with your TCKs if you bought used.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    I would go with a higher end dampener. I would personally go with MCS as the easy button. JRZ RS2s ride like a dream as well.

On an e46, we put 900lbf 1000lbr springs on a car with jrz rs2s and the car rode less harsh than the stock setup. My 911 has moton 2 ways with twice the spring as stock and ride SOOOO much smoother over bumps.

Hard to explain how a suspension can be twice as firm while also being twice as compliant but it's the magic these higher end companies have figured out somehow.

Edited to ad: what's your budget? That will dictate much of this.
    Last edited by olemiss540; 01-10-2021 at 09:30 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yep, if OP hates the Koni's, then the higher end stuff MAY be what he's looking for.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    If that's way out of budget, I would go with a compromise setup with softer spring rates and higher ride heights. I prefer softer setups anyhow as I find them easier for my driving style to drive closer to the limits (and most likely lowers the limits to accomplish this) and there is nothing more fun than peddling an e36 close to its limits! Thinking koni sports and a stock style spring setup. Have fun and dont hate driving around on the streets at the same time!

My Cars
    E36
    Sorry part of my post might of been hard to read, I had TCK with 600/550 and it was decent not bad at all but i sold them. Then I got some Taiwan/china well known in the USA brand that were temporary tell I figured out what I want but they are so bad I hate driving the car. They are 550/450 and way way worse than the TCK setup, Like I said it feels like I have bricks in there and that's on full "soft".

As far as budget I would say something under 3.5k hopefully I was looking at Nitron their quality seems top notch but not much US feedback. Going from TCK to Taiwan/china made me realize how important good dampers are lol so my budget whent up. So in a nutshell I am looking for the next step up from the TCK/Koni setup.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The next step up from TCK would be the MCS dynasty. Moton, Nitron, MCS, JRZ, and everything that comes from the Netherlands were all started by people who quit Koni (also Netherlands). Koni is unique in that they have a proprietary shock fluid that doesn’t require a high pressure nitrogen charge to keep from foaming. Because they are not high pressure charged, they naturally are more durable.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    For a $3500 budget, get the single adjustable MCS', add some springs/camber plates/shock mounts and GO!

Nothing better in that budget range IMO. They will need more frequent rebuilding than a Koni based setup but will ride great IMO.

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe, 05 LGT
    My JRZs ride fantastic, even with 600/800lb springs and yoko a052s. The ride was a bit harsher with RE71Rs. Even better, times dropped pretty significantly from the old Koni based setup.

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    It's ok, you can mention MaxPleasureRods because they are bloody horrid and don't know why people buy them haha. Anyway, i'll chime out thre now I've got that out of my system

My Cars
    E30 M3,E28 M5,E39 M5 etc
    I put Ohlins R&T on my E46 M3 to accomplish street/track duty and it does a pretty ok job. Some days I wish it was a bit less bumpy on the street, and on the track I wish it was a bit more dialed in.

I freely admit though that I have a bit of racecarish bias though, so I might be overly critical, asking for more than what it can deliver. I've had a few track buddies ride with me and were blown away at how compliant the car is while I'm bitching about grabbing the last 2-3%.

In Sept, I drove a thousand miles, cranked up the shocks a bit and drove on track for 3 days then drove 1000 miles a day later back home. Pretty sure my back would be smoked if I tried to do that on off the shelf koni's.