RM European Auto Parts

Thread: E93/N51 radiator leak - should I replace radiator ($1000+ job)

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328i E93/N51

E93/N51 radiator leak - should I replace radiator ($1000+ job)

Hello,

Had an oil change done on my E93/N51 (104k miles) recently at local shop - they did a standard inspection and told me there's a radiator leak "on both sides", and recommended a radiator replacement ($1000+ job). Images attached below, hopefully correctly...would any of you knowledgeable folks be able to advise if replacement is the correct option? Engine temperature reading is fine, no sign of overheating so far. Thanks.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTxCNaG
    Last edited by redbaron007; 01-09-2021 at 01:57 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The consensus here and on other bimmer forums is the cooling system needs to be overhauled every 100k miles/160k kms. Now, that $1000 price tag is high for replacing the radiator. A radiator made by the supplier to BMW (Nissens in this case) has a retail price of about $135. So I have to ask what else is the shop doing to charge you $1000. Obviously new coolant and distilled water are required.
    Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of your car’s vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Cooling system parr’s are in the engine and radiator sections. What’s needed for a cooling system overhaul?
    - water pump (electric!)
    - thermostat
    - radiator
    - expansion tank
    - expansion tank bracket
    - hoses
    - block coolant drain plug crush washer (or else you’ll have a leak)
    - coolant (BMW preferred)
    - distilled water

Many folks here buy parts from FCPEuro. Why? Great prices and everything has a lifetime warranty, even oil!

If you’re not a diy’er you’ll need to find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers. Go to www.bimrs.org.

The installation of aftermarket cooling system parts is strictly verboten!

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    I think the problem here is the N51 SULEV engine having a different radiator that incorporates some sort of emissions-reducing tech, and bumps the price up significantly, like $600+. Now, I suspect you could replace the radiator with the standard part and have that sensor coded out of the system so its absence didn't throw a code, but that's up to you - the trick would be finding someone willing to do the coding.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    2001 525it
    It’s been leaking for a while probably leaks more when cold and once it gets warm the rubber gaskets between the plastic tanks and metal core swell up. I would certainly get it done soon, you can go to reloem.com enter the last seven of the vin go to section 17 replace the radiator, upper and lower hoses the small bleed hose from the top radiator hose to the expansion tank, if the expansion tank is brown color instead of black, like when there new replace that also

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    i'd get it done soon - the price doesn't surprise me....
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328i E93/N51
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    I think the problem here is the N51 SULEV engine having a different radiator that incorporates some sort of emissions-reducing tech, and bumps the price up significantly, like $600+. Now, I suspect you could replace the radiator with the standard part and have that sensor coded out of the system so its absence didn't throw a code, but that's up to you - the trick would be finding someone willing to do the coding.
    Yes, that is correct. On FCP Euro it costs $615 (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ve-17117566339) . The SULEV comes with a manganese oxide coating that does the ozone->oxygen conversion.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Could a non-SULEV radiator work? Are the radiator mounting brackets the same?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    For the ozone radiators there may be a sensor attached to it if the wrong radiator was installed you may get a check engine light

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328i E93/N51
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Could a non-SULEV radiator work? Are the radiator mounting brackets the same?
    I guess there must be other implications (potential failed emission testing?), else everyone would be doing it... why spend $600+ when you can get a non-SULEV radiator for $200 (I'm interested in hearing from other California owners here)...

I think I have 2 options:
    1> Check if radiator is covered under 150K/15y warranty
    2> As you suggested, instead of replacing radiator only, do a full cooling system overhaul to avoid paying similar cost down the road.

Some more questions: Should indie shops be fine with me buying parts from FCP Euro? One shop said they would not be able to give me any warranty on their work if I get my parts. Is that the norm, or should they be okay with me getting the parts? Is it possible that shops may get parts cheaper than I can get them from FCP Euro?

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Radiator should be covered by the SULEV warranty - it is emissions-related, after all.

Shops make part of their money my marking up parts, so bringing your own affects the bottom line. They also have no way of ensuring the quality of owner-supplied parts. You really need to speak directly to the shop owner to understand their policy, then make your decision.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328i E93/N51
    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
    I guess there must be other implications (potential failed emission testing?), else everyone would be doing it... why spend $600+ when you can get a non-SULEV radiator for $200 (I'm interested in hearing from other California owners here)...

I think I have 2 options:
    1> Check if radiator is covered under 150K/15y warranty
    2> As you suggested, instead of replacing radiator only, do a full cooling system overhaul to avoid paying similar cost down the road.

Some more questions: Should indie shops be fine with me buying parts from FCP Euro? One shop said they would not be able to give me any warranty on their work if I get my parts. Is that the norm, or should they be okay with me getting the parts? Is it possible that shops may get parts cheaper than I can get them from FCP Euro?
    So I called BMW Customer Relations since that is the number mentioned on warranty booklet. The guy confirmed that radiator is a part of emission control system and is covered under 150k ml/15y warranty....BUT...I need to take it to dealer, so their warranty advisor can certify that the problem is indeed due to a manufacturing defect and not due to mishandling/tampering, etc. So I've setup a service appt w/ the dealer next Tue, will keep you folks updated.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328i E93/N51
    UPDATE: Dealer inspected & fixed it for free under SULEV 150k ml/5y California Emission Control SULEV warranty. Thanks for the heads-up folks!!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Glad it worked out for you.