eBMWParts

Thread: E46 M3 Bilstein PSS9 switch over?

My Cars
    2002 Sterling Grey M3 Coupe and 1998 Dinan 328is

E46 M3 Bilstein PSS9 switch over?

I installed the PSS9 kit on my '02 M3 18 years ago. With a little over 100k miles on the car, the rear coil springs needs replacing. I've tried all the parts dealers and they can't get their reps from Bilstein to either find replacement coils or respond to their emails. Bilstein says I have to go through a third party and will not answer the question: Can I use springs from the newer PSS10 kit? Are they the same? I didn't want to spend 2k on a whole new suspension when all that is bad are the rear springs. Thanks for any responses as I've been searching for over a month and can't drive the car until I can finish the suspensoion.

My Cars
    LS E46
    The springs can literally be from anything. They’re divorced from the dampers. You’re reading waaaay too much into this.

My Cars
    Thanks for the fast reply Liquidity. Since I'm not a mechanic I ask this: If I use any size springs, will they fit on the spring perch properly? Can I just buy PSS10 rear coils and replace the bad PSS9 coils? If so, I will order them right away.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Well, when he says that you can use “any” spring, that means “any spring that has the same dimensions and spring rate.”. So, they can be exact replacement springs from a PSS9. Or, ‘possibly’ the PSS10 springs, since they are likely the right dimensions, but may not be the same (or close) spring rate.

It looks like the difference between PSS9 and PSS10 are 9 versus 10 damper settings? Not sure what else. If that’s the only real difference, than most likely the springs are the same dimension and rate.

I found this TUV approval for the PSS10:

https://productdeskapi.cart.bilstein...M4-Y590A00.pdf

So, it lists the part number for the PSS10 spring. Check your PSS9 spring to see what part number it has, and perhaps even search around for a replacement.

Several websites who sell these coilovers for the E46 all refer to PSS9/PSS10, so that tells me there is likely very little difference, other than the improved dampers. My intuitive, but non-educated guess, is that the PSS9 and PSS10 use the same springs for your car, its just that the PSS10 has an improved damper, with an additional damper setting. Contact Bilstein and ask.

-rb

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by RBNetEngr View Post
    Well, when he says that you can use “any” spring, that means “any spring that has the same dimensions and spring rate.”. So, they can be exact replacement springs from a PSS9. Or, ‘possibly’ the PSS10 springs, since they are likely the right dimensions, but may not be the same (or close) spring rate.

It looks like the difference between PSS9 and PSS10 are 9 versus 10 damper settings? Not sure what else. If that’s the only real difference, than most likely the springs are the same dimension and rate.

I found this TUV approval for the PSS10:

https://productdeskapi.cart.bilstein...M4-Y590A00.pdf

So, it lists the part number for the PSS10 spring. Check your PSS9 spring to see what part number it has, and perhaps even search around for a replacement.

Several websites who sell these coilovers for the E46 all refer to PSS9/PSS10, so that tells me there is likely very little difference, other than the improved dampers. My intuitive, but non-educated guess, is that the PSS9 and PSS10 use the same springs for your car, its just that the PSS10 has an improved damper, with an additional damper setting. Contact Bilstein and ask.

-rb
    Thanks for responding. I had called Bilstein a couple of weeks ago and they found me the springs but since it's a daily driver for me and the suspension hasn't been tuned at all in 17 years (please don't yell at me - I don't track the car and didn't realize it needs rebuilding and maintenance which I never did) so I decided to go with a whole new PSS10 kit. I can't leave the car on a lift with my mechanic for a couple of weeks. Besides, Bilstein tells me the used suspension is a hot item worth between $400-$600 so I will sell it probably thru this forum.