Thread: Climate control

My Cars
    2010 128iConvertible

Climate control

Climate control is not working correctly.
    With the "all" activated, both sides have the same symptom; the heat only works on 84(the max it allows). I get hot heat on that setting, but at 83, it becomes ambient outdoor temp.
    If the sides are operated separately, the passenger side operates ok, while the driver's side is as above.

I figure it is a sensor, or a control chip.

Anyone have this issue?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Check the reading of the external ambient air sensor. Also, I’m wondering if the passenger compartment air temperature sensor located in the climate control module (IHKA in BMWspeak) is bad. If the IHKA doesn’t know the passenger compartment temperature it won’t allow the heater control valve to open to allow coolant into the heater core. Setting the temperature to the max may override the problem. You need to have the IHKA scanned for faults. Go to www.bimrs.org to find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers in your area.

My Cars
    2010 128iConvertible
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Check the reading of the external ambient air sensor. Also, I’m wondering if the passenger compartment air temperature sensor located in the climate control module (IHKA in BMWspeak) is bad. If the IHKA doesn’t know the passenger compartment temperature it won’t allow the heater control valve to open to allow coolant into the heater core. Setting the temperature to the max may override the problem. You need to have the IHKA scanned for faults. Go to www.bimrs.org to find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers in your area.
    Thanks. I am off to the junk yard to see if a 3 series has the same module. At $28, if they have one, it is worth the risk. BTW, it is the drivers side that is bad.

I need to find a decent repair manual.

My Cars
    2010 128iConvertible
    Well, went to the junkyard, and found a 3 series unit. It is not the same. Of course, the fan control button was missing. It does come apart, and I took pics of the circuit board components, in case they are the same. I don't know if I can unsolder and resolder those multipin components, but I think I can, if needed. It was useful for me to see how some of this comes apart - quite easily, I would say.
    The yard was some distance to drive, and I tried different settings on the climate control as I drove. It seems that only the "in your face" vents are not working properly. At least now I know I can make the car comfortable. I am suspecting a door/flap issue; perhaps a motor control - I assume that there are not vacuum actuators, but I don't know.
    Last edited by NHinNC; 01-11-2021 at 09:28 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of your car’s vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. The IHKA is located in the heater/air conditioning section. Click on the part # (it’s a link) to see what other bimmers use the part.